Provided to Health Rising
Resource Type
Patient Story
Name
Kate
Diagnosis
  1. Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
Disease Course Over Time
In 1987 Kate, a very active and fit high school teacher gets a flu that really, really doesn't end; she experiences fever, chills, muscle and joint pain and fatigue, extreme sweating, tremor, memory problems, poor sleep, hair loss, swollen glands, increase urinary frequency, dizziness, night sweats. Twenty-five years later she is still ill.

Dr. Lerner finds an HHV-6 infection and prescribes Valcyte 1350 mg daily. She is to do no exercise.

She is now rates herself at a 9 our of 10 in health, teaches college, hosts large dinners, leads youth groups, exercises regularly, etc.
Type of Onset
acute flu-like
Approximate Date of Illness Began
1980-1990
Duration
>20 years
Symptoms
Fever, chills, muscle and joint pain and fatigue, extreme sweating, tremor, memory problems, poor sleep, hair loss, swollen glands, increase urinary frequency, dizziness, night sweats.
Antiviral or Immune Modulators That Made a Difference for You
Valcyte
Positive Test Results
HHV-6
Present State of Health
  1. Fully recovered - no restrictions at all
Words of Advice
DON'T give up finding a doctor who will listen and work with you.
NO-you are not depressed. However you have every right to be.
NO-it is not your hormones because you are a woman. It is not in your head. (Well it is, but in your all body too.)
NO-exercise will not help. Actually it hurts because the virus multiplies with heat.

My prayer now is for a young doctor who will want to continue Dr. Lerner's work.
When I was 35 yr. old, I felt like I was 60. Now that I am in my 60's, I feel like I am in my 30's. I lost 25 years of my life to this illness. I hope this story will tell others the success I am having and that they can find a hope.
Additional Information
http://www.treatmentcenterforcfs.com/
Author
Cort
Views
First release
Last update
Rating
2.50 star(s) 2 ratings

More resources from Cort

Latest reviews

If she has no Restrictions then Why? does she rate herself 9/10