Beck Anxiety Inventory

Beck Anxiety Inventory 2016-12-10

Do you have anxiety? If this self-report test indicates you might have anxiety sure to check out ways to increase blood volume or improve your autonomic nervous system functioning.
  • Use the download button on the upper right to download
Check out this blog for more: The Anxiety Question in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and Fibromyalgia: Is the Autonomic Nervous System to Blame?

Scoring the Inventory (from Wikipedia)

Each question inquires about how bothersome a symptom of anxiety has been for the subject over the past week. Scoring the BAI is based on a 0-3 point scale, with each question being scored as follows based on participant response:
  • 0 points: NOT AT ALL
  • 1 point: MILDLY: It did not bother me much.
  • 2 points: MODERATELY: It wasn't pleasant at times.
  • 3 points: SEVERELY: It bothered me a lot.
The point values of the chosen answer choices are then summed to produce a total measure score. The BAI has a maximum score of 63.
Interpretation of scores[edit]

The following guidelines are the currently used in interpreting the total score:
  • 0-7: minimal anxiety
  • 8-15: mild anxiety
  • 16-25: moderate anxiety
  • 26-63: severe anxiety
In 1993, the interpretation guidelines were updated (see above). Prior to 1993, the 1988 interpretation guide was used and is listed below. Please see page 1 of the BAI manual for a full discussion of changes between the 1988 edition and the current 1993 edition of the BAI.
  • 0-9: normal anxiety
  • 10-18: mild-moderate anxiety
  • 19-29: moderate-severe anxiety
  • 30-63: severe anxiety
Note: women with anxiety disorders tend to score 4 points higher than men with anxiety disorders[3]
Author
Cort
Downloads
Views
First release
Last update
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

More resources from Cort

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work