Making Oral Rehydration Salts to Improve Blood Volume

Making Oral Rehydration Salts to Improve Blood Volume

SaltInWater_orthostatic_intolerance.jpg
UNICEF and the WHO first came up with a cheap oral rehydration solution (ORS) to combat diarrhea in the third world in 1969. In 2006 they came up with a new formula with less sugar.

According to Wikipedia the new formula contains salt, trisodium citrate, potassium chloride and anhydrous glucose. A similar rehydration solution can be prepared using 6 level teaspoons (25.2 grams) of dextrose (glucose) and 0.5 teaspoon (2.1 grams) of salt in 1 liter (4 1/4 cups) of water.

In a small study Marvin Medow Phd found the WHO's ORS solution more effective than IV saline at relieving orthostatic intolerance in young people with postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS) - most of whom met the criteria for ME/CFS.

Among others, the ORS normalized blood flows to the brain - a major issue in chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS) and POTS.

See - Low Brain Blood Flows and Orthostatic Intolerance Ubiquitous in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS)

Medow recommended preparations by Jianus Brothers or Normalyte. TriOral packets available on Amazon.com also contain the WHO formula.

Medow warned that using table sugar (sucrose) instead of dextrose does not work. Most ORS recipes on the internet use table sugar.

For more see - Oral Rehydration Solution More Effective than Saline IV at Improving Orthostatic Intolerance
Reactions: ThereseFlower
Author
Cort
Views
First release
Last update
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

More resources from Cort

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work