ME/CFS and Fibromyalgia Patients on Drug Combinations For Better Sleep

ME/CFS and Fibromyalgia Patients on Drug Combinations For Better Sleep

Many people worry about taking combinations of drugs for sleep. Dr. Teitelbaum, however, believes getting better sleep is so important that if one drug doesn't do it, then he has little problem adding another (or another).

Teitelbaum uses as low as possible doses of several drugs to improve sleep. (Only do this under your doctor's supervision, of course.)
Check out drug combinations that some people with ME/CFS/FM reported they used in Health Rising's Sleep Survey.

Drug Combinations
  • Paracetamol and codeine plus doxylamine taken before bed.
  • Tramadol , Gaba and a hot bath help me t0 sleep , but I am never ever rested.
  • codeine+_paracetamol for pain...sometimes several times a night.
  • 1 MG Xanax, benadryl and melatonin
  • Tramadol and tylenol for muscle aches and pains. Heating bags and ice packs for sore muscles and feet.
  • Nyquil and xanax prescription
  • I take somnapure, gabapentin, Advil, nasacort and cough medicine and the combination helps.
  • ONLY a combination of many med: SEROQUEL 150 MG hs and IMOVANE 7,5MG hs + 3,75 mg around 3 or 4 o'clock (these two med are the most helpful) also Flexeril 10 mg (many spams causing teeth breaking amongst other things) and Ativan 1 mg.
  • A mixture of zolpidem +noctamid+rivotril.
  • oxazapam, imovane
  • Oxycodone, diazepam, oxynorm
  • Combination of Flexeril 10mg and Tramadol 50mg
  • Changing sleep meds - once one stops working I will eventually switch to another which then works for a while and then switch back and so on.... Best thing so far has been valium and tramadol but both are addictive so I don't take.
  • I combine drugs. It's not optimal but it's all I can do with what my doctor is willing to Rx. Ambien worked great. I had no side effects and woke up refreshed. But most docs are scared of it. I currently combine gabapentin, temazapam, and aia le relaxant and sometimes still can't sleep.
  • Tramadol & Clonezepam
  • Doxepin, Klonopin, Ambien
  • Mersyndol nights - doxylamine & codeine.
  • Amytriptyline (Endep) and Cymbalta
  • Doxylamine succinate, Xanax and Lunesta
  • Lyrica and Panadeine if necessary and Imovane.
  • Promethazine, low dose Nortriptyline (was taken off of that because doctor tried putting dose up significantly for anxiety but put my resting heart rate at 120bpm, haven't slept great since).
  • 200mg Quetiapine & 200mg trazodone per night.
  • Taking Ibuprofen, Paracetamol, Codeine Phosphate (and Hydroxychloroquine) all at once and going to bed as soon as I feel drowsy or I miss the sleep "wave" and then can't sleep at all.
  • Muscle relaxer, migraine medications and amitripyline
  • Generally use benzos to initiate sleep and an antihistamine to sustain sleep.
Check out individual drugs in Health Rising's Drugs for Better Sleep Section.

Drug and Supplement Combinations

Magnesium combinations

• 1 mg Melatonin 1 hour before bed, then 2-3 mg at bed + Coral Calcium= 500 mg coral calcium+ 250 coral magnesium, 1000 mg N-Acetyl l tyrosine, Magnesium (elemental) (from 2000 mg magtein l-threonate)= Jarrow Magmind 144mg, 25 mg Hydroxyzine +1mg Lorazepam.
  • Taking Magnesium combined with Nortriptylene 5 hours before bed time.
  • Magnesium, 5-HTP, Baclofen, Passiflora.
  • 5HTP, magnesium, LDN
  • I ran out of klonopin, so I took a hydrocodone,(not sure if that is spelled correctly) magnesium (calm), and melatonin, and it helped with sleep and withdrawal for 2 nights.
  • I started with Pro Health "Fibro Sleep" 1 1/2 yrs. ago (contains magnesium). I sleep much better with taking 3 caps a night. Two caps doesn't do it! Also take Progesterone 75 mg. a night.
  • I use a combination of Imovane 7.5 mg, valerian root 1000mg, magnesium glycinate 200mg, and Cessamet 1mg for pain. Most of the time I sleep okay for someone with this illness. Valerian and Cessament help me to reach a deeper level of sleep.
  • Magnesium and quinine
  • zopiclone, magnesium
  • Bentyl and Tramadol also GastroCrom. In past magnesium. Also turmeric and ginger for pain.
  • temazepam, magnesium to help with leg pain and restless legs, Cymbalta.
Melatonin Combinations

• I combine 5 meds: ALEVE (pain and migraines), Benadryl 50 mg (high histamine levels), Lunesta (sleep), melatonin 30 mgs, Low dose naltrexone (LDN) 4 mg.
  • I use combination of taking duloxetine at night, together with melatonin and clonazapam.
  • Melatonin and Endep
  • I started with Pro Health "Fibro Sleep" 1 1/2 yrs. ago (contains melatonin). I sleep much better with taking 3 caps a night. Two caps doesn't do it! Also take Progesterone 75 mg. a night.
  • I take melatonin5 mg, mirtazipine 15 mg, and zolpidem CR 12.5 mg all at once for sleep at 9 PM. Without zolpidem I do not sleep at all. Seroquel caused me a 50 pound weight gain which I could not get off without gastric bypass surgery. Increasing the mirtazipine causes me to wake up too early, at 3 or 4 AM. So far, zolpidem is the only thing that works, but it makes me walk in my sleep to the kitchen to eat.
  • Combo of nor-amitriptyline 25mg (less side effects than amitriptyline), Lyrica 150mg and melatonin 2,5mg together have been the most effective for the longest period of time with the best sleep and least pain.
  • LDN and melatonin and perhaps antivirals in combination seems to have helped my sleep. Also staying on my side or stomach so I have less upper airway resistance and don't wake up gasping for breath.
  • I take Ambien and Melatonin every night. Even those don't help me sleep for longer periods of time because my body hurts too much and it forces me out of bed even when I could go back to sleep.
  • I ran out of Klonopin, so I took a hydrocodone,(not sure if that is spelled correctly) magnesium (calm), and melatonin, and it helped with sleep and withdrawal for 2 nights.
Others
  • Enzymatic Therapies Revitalizing Sleep Formula, Enzymatic Therapies Sleep Tonight (for high cortisol at night), and low dose naltrexone.
  • Taking pregnenolone and smoking cannabis
  • LDN, Tylenol
  • Breathe right nasal strips, heartMath, mirtazapine, EFT, LDN
  • 5HTP is a serotonin agonist which helps me sleep. I have to take it in the middle of the night when I wake up but without it? That and clonodine. Without them I'm up all night.
  • Gravol (anti-nauseant) along with tylenol 1. without them I get no sleep at all, with them I get a few hours broken.
Check out individual drugs in Health Rising's Drugs for Better Sleep Section.
Reactions: Sarah R.
Author
Cort
Views
First release
Last update
Rating
5.00 star(s) 1 ratings

More resources from Cort

Latest reviews

I have been on flexeril for years but still have sleepless nights.
Cort
Cort
Hopefully the new version of it due out probably next year will be more help.

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources