Resource icon

The Nine Health Benefits of Kefir

Home-made kefir - not store bought - but home made kefir is amazing. It's just chockfull of probiotics. This nice blog protrays 9 ways kefir can be helpful. I posted here the seventh way - the fact that most lactose intolerant people can chug home-made kefir to their stomach's content. I was shocked at how easily it went down...

Making kefir is a cheap and stunningly easy way to get your probiotics.

Check out some of the video's in our media section on how to make kefir and more about its effects.
Kefir is Generally Well Tolerated by People Who Are Lactose Intolerant
brunette-drinking-milk-with-milk-mustache.jpg

Regular dairy foods contain a natural sugar called lactose.

Many people, especially adults, are unable to break down and digest lactose properly. This condition is called lactose intolerance (25).

The lactic acid bacteria in fermented dairy foods (like kefir and yogurt) turn the lactose into lactic acid, so these foods are much lower in lactose than milk.

They also contain enzymes that can help break down the lactose even further.mBecause of this, kefir is generally well tolerated by people with lactose intolerance, at least when compared to regular milk (26).

Also keep in mind that it is possible to make kefir that is 100% lactose free, by using coconut water, fruit juice or some other non-dairy fluid.
Bottom Line: The lactic acid bacteria have already pre-digested the lactose in kefir. People with lactose intolerance can often eat kefir without problems.​
Author
Cort
Views
First release
Last update
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

More resources from Cort

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY