Resource icon

Vitamin D's Connection to Sleep

Resource Type
Other
When I began researching vitamin D deficiency I came across suggestions that deficiencies - which are common - could damage sleep. e. g --possibly by exerting an influence on pain.

From Tatt: Dr Gominak believes you must have the right Vit. D levels and a recent study suggests that Vit D supplementation may be able to help with sleep.

From WebMD:

Researchers at Louisiana State University investigated the relationship between Vitamin D and daytime sleepiness with two specific goals in mind. First, they wanted to determine whether a correlation exists between Vitamin D levels in the body and excessive daytime sleepiness.

Second, they sought to evaluate the role that race might play in the relationship between daytime sleepiness and Vitamin D.

In earlier work, researchers at LSU had observed that more than half of the patients who came to their sleep clinic with sleep problems and with chronic pain were also deficient in Vitamin D. They noticed this cluster of symptoms appeared to occur more often in patients who were African American.

In winter in the UK and northern parts of America it's not possible to make vitamin D in the skin - making you rely on stores from the summer - and making Vitamin D deficiency particularly common in the winter. Those with ME who are bed bound or housebound are likely to be deficient even in summer. Oily fish and eggs are good sources of vitamin D but my levels were low when tested despite regularly including those foods in my diet, taking a low supplement and the test being done at the end of summer.

Anyone with sleep problems may want a blood test. In the UK, if your GP won't do a test I recommend this one - or in winter just supplement anyway - or show this to your GP.
Reactions: Seeksassy
Author
Cort
Views
First release
Last update
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

More resources from Cort

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work