• Better than Canary in a Coal Mine

Votes: 5 27.8%
  • Worse than Canary in a Coal Mine.

Votes: 4 22.2%

• Total voters

Cort

Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising
Staff member
Canary in a Coal Mine...(errr "Unrest") will be shown at the 2017 Sundance Film Festival. It's a big opportunity to get the word out about ME/CFS.

The film is now called "Unrest". My thoughts on the new name.

I thought "Canary in a Coal Mine" was too generic and I'm really glad they've gone to a new name.

My thoughts on "Unrest" are unsettled; it does fit in really well with being "wired and tired" - you're never really in a truly rested state. Plus, it has political implications - the community is in a state of "unrest" because of how its been treated.

On the other hand I think it could be confusing to the outside public.

On the other hand I think its a catchy name for the outside public...and that's darn important. Since that's the most important think for this film I think I'd probably give it a thumbs up or maybe a finger's up....

Wayne

No strong opinions here, but "Unrest" feels a bit on the tame side to me. Some possible titles I came up with in the past 15 minutes that I could relate to include:

1) 30 Years Since I Last Felt Like Myself

2) Lost My Brain When I Needed It Most

3) Incessant Brain and Body Static

4) Lost My Parasympathetic Nervous System

Or if it would need to be shorter...

5) Abandoned
(by our bodies, our brains, our friends, our health care system, our families, etc.)

6) Unrelenting Discombobulation

7) Sheer Torture

8) Spiritual Limbo

LOTs of other titles I could think of. Not to say any are better than what's been chosen, but certainly ones I can more identify with myself.

Last edited:

JennyJenny

I think Unrest is not conveying a clear message and we really, really need one. Forgotten Plague was on mark. The Millions Missing campaign was named so well and Unrest just seems too open ended as to what it could be about. It could be Unrest of Zombies or a new mom with twins.

I think it was a misstep but we will know in January if there is a lot of buzz around it.

How about Body at War; MIA - Dying Never To Die - Healthcare Destroyed ME.

Charlie Wilson's War - He had to deal with a war
Home Alone - Kevin got left home alone

You know what I mean.

Wayne

@Wayne are you jesting ;-)

Hi Empty,

Well, I have to admit, I wasn't jesting at the time, though I have to say, I was at least having a bit of fun with "Unrelenting Discombobulation". :)

I guess where I was coming from was "Unrest" irked me a bit. It reminds me of some of the other terms that greatly minimize how debilitating ME is. Like "chronic fatigue syndrome", and "post exertional malaise". Chronic fatigue? Malaise? Are you kidding me? Even "Wired but Tired" doesn't come close to what we (I) experience. And now "Unrest". Sigh.

It almost seems that it's "politically incorrect" to use words that accurately convey what a horrible disease ME is. I agree with Jenny that "Unrest" does not convey a clear message. I've noticed recently that some book titles are becoming ever more descriptive of the message they're trying to convey, with subtitles being sentences long. I think something like that would be totally appropriate for a film about the long-minimized and long-misunderstood serious disease that ME really is.

That said, I was happy to hear that you found my response humorous. I believe humor is one of the most important coping tools we have, and your reply did help lighten me up a bit. Thanks! :)

P.S. A new title just came to mind for me, one that I just wrote above without even thinking it could be a title:

"Chronic Fatigue? Malaise? Are You Kidding Me?"

Last edited:

Empty

Hi Empty,

Well, I have to admit, I wasn't jesting at the time, though I have to say, I was at least having a bit of fun with "Unrelenting Discombobulation". :)

I guess where I was coming from was "Unrest" irked me a bit. It reminds me of some of the other terms that greatly minimize how debilitating ME is. Like "chronic fatigue syndrome", and "post exertional malaise". Chronic fatigue? Malaise? Are you kidding me? Even "Wired but Tired" doesn't come close to what we (I) experience. And now "Unrest". Sigh.

It almost seems that it's "politically incorrect" to use words that accurately convey what a horrible disease ME is. I agree with Jenny that "Unrest" does not convey a clear message. I've noticed recently that some book titles are becoming ever more descriptive of the message they're trying to convey, with subtitles being sentences long. I think something like that would be totally appropriate for a film about the long-minimized and long-misunderstood serious disease that ME really is.

That said, I was happy to hear that you found my response humorous. I believe humor is one of the most important coping tools we have, and your reply did help lighten me up a bit. Thanks! :)

P.S. A new title just came to mind for me, one that I just wrote above without even thinking it could be a title:

"Chronic Fatigue? Malaise? Are You Kidding Me?"

Hi @Wayne,

Thanks for taking my post in good spirits. Keep the creative ideas flowing..

Happy holidays

Hi Empty,

It almost seems that it's "politically incorrect" to use words that accurately convey what a horrible disease ME is.

It really irks me the point I feel the title is offensive when used with this illness.. it irks me for the same reasons as its irking you. I see this title as bad for us all politically and will never be able to recommend a book or a movie with that title to someone wanting to know more about this illness no matter how good that movie or book is.

My illness is nothing to do with feeling "unrest"ed (which is what many peoples minds will jump to without knowing anything else about it). My illness makes me extremely ill and Im at risk of it killing me. I do not like any title which gives people who know nothing more the impression a book or movie about possibly "tired people". its a vague title which people could take all kinds of ways including the way we dont want to be thought of or compared too. Why dont we just go and call our illness "unrested" too, its as bad as CFS name (of cause I dont want our illness called either).

For me the canary in the coal mine fitted as Im sensitive to near everything.. to exercise, to heat, to chemicals as my MCS is quite bad, I got to watch what i eat etc etc. I can though understand how some may not have things like MCS with this illness so may not relate to that other title so well.

"Forgotten Plague was on mark. The Millions Missing campaign was named so well"

agreed, they got the titles right on the mark. No negative impressions towards us based on a title being given off with those. Both titles got through how serious this illness is without offending anyone with it. A good title doesnt really need explaining to anyone what it is trying to say and mean.

Remy

Administrator
My illness is nothing to do with feeling "unrest"ed
Hey @taniaaust1 , welcome to HR!

I think they are using Unrest as a metaphor more than as just a straightforward "not well rested".

It's alternate definition is "an uneasy or troubled condition; unease or discontent" or "a state of dissatisfaction, disturbance, and agitation in a group of people, typically involving public demonstrations or disorder."

People experiencing unrest are typically those at war, or headed that way, and I think that metaphor is actually quite apt and poetic for ME/CFS. We are experiencing unrest within our bodies and our communities for sure.

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources