Cannabinoids Remove Plaque-Forming Alzheimer's Proteins from Brain Cells

Who Me?

CANNABINOIDS REMOVE PLAQUE-FORMING ALZHEIMER’S PROTEINS FROM BRAIN CELLS

Preliminary lab studies at the Salk Institute find THC reduces beta amyloid proteins in human neurons

June 27, 2016
Cannabinoids remove plaque-forming Alzheimer’s proteins from brain cells

Preliminary lab studies at the Salk Institute find THC reduces beta amyloid proteins in human neurons
LA JOLLA–Salk Institute scientists have found preliminary evidence that tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) and other compounds found in marijuana can promote the cellular removal of amyloid beta, a toxic protein associated with Alzheimer’s disease.
While these exploratory studies were conducted in neurons grown in the laboratory, they may offer insight into the role of inflammation in Alzheimer’s disease and could provide clues to developing novel therapeutics for the disorder.

“Although other studies have offered evidence that cannabinoids might be neuroprotective against the symptoms of Alzheimer’s, we believe our study is the first to demonstrate that cannabinoids affect both inflammation and amyloid beta accumulation in nerve cells,” says Salk Professor David Schubert, the senior author of the paper.

Alzheimer’s disease is a progressive brain disorder that leads to memory loss and can seriously impair a person’s ability to carry out daily tasks. It affects more than five million Americans according to the National Institutes of Health, and is a leading cause of death. It is also the most common cause of dementia and its incidence is expected to triple during the next 50 years.

It has long been known that amyloid beta accumulates within the nerve cells of the aging brain well before the appearance of Alzheimer’s disease symptoms and plaques. Amyloid beta is a major component of the plaque deposits that are a hallmark of the disease. But the precise role of amyloid beta and the plaques it forms in the disease process remains unclear.
David-Schubert-458x305.jpg

David Schubert, Professor of Salk’s Cellular Neurobiology Laboratory

Click here for a high resolution image
Credit: Salk Institute
In a manuscript published in June 2016’s Aging and Mechanisms of Disease, the Salk team studied nerve cells altered to produce high levels of amyloid beta to mimic aspects of Alzheimer’s disease.
The researchers found that high levels of amyloid beta were associated with cellular inflammation and higher rates of neuron death. They demonstrated that exposing the cells to THC reduced amyloid beta protein levels and eliminated the inflammatory response from the nerve cells caused by the protein, thereby allowing the nerve cells to survive.

“Inflammation within the brain is a major component of the damage associated with Alzheimer’s disease, but it has always been assumed that this response was coming from immune-like cells in the brain, not the nerve cells themselves,” says Antonio Currais, a postdoctoral researcher in Schubert’s laboratory and first author of the paper. “When we were able to identify the molecular basis of the inflammatory response to amyloid beta, it became clear that THC-like compounds that the nerve cells make themselves may be involved in protecting the cells from dying.”

Brain cells have switches known as receptors that can be activated by endocannabinoids, a class of lipid molecules made by the body that are used for intercellular signaling in the brain. The psychoactive effects of marijuana are caused by THC, a molecule similar in activity to endocannabinoids that can activate the same receptors. Physical activity results in the production of endocannabinoids and some studies have shown that exercise may slow the progression of Alzheimer’s disease.

Schubert emphasized that his team’s findings were conducted in exploratory laboratory models, and that the use of THC-like compounds as a therapy would need to be tested in clinical trials.

In separate but related research, his lab found an Alzheimer’s drug candidate called J147 that also removes amyloid beta from nerve cells and reduces the inflammatory response in both nerve cells and the brain. It was the study of J147 that led the scientists to discover that endocannabinoids are involved in the removal of amyloid beta and the reduction of inflammation.

Other authors on the paper include Oswald Quehenberger and Aaron Armando at the University of California, San Diego; and Pamela Maher and Daniel Daughtery at the Salk Institute.
The study was supported by the National Institutes of Health, The Burns Foundation and The Bundy Foundation.
PUBLICATION INFORMATION

JOURNAL
Aging and Mechanisms of Disease
TITLE
Amyloid proteotoxicity initiates an inflammatory response blocked by cannabinoids
AUTHORS
Antonio Currais, Oswald Quehenberger, Aaron M Armando, Daniel Daugherty, Pam Maher & David Schubert

http://www.salk.edu/news-release/ca...forming-alzheimers-proteins-from-brain-cells/

Cort

Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising
Staff member

http://www.salk.edu/news-release/ca...forming-alzheimers-proteins-from-brain-cells/

So great that the Salk Institute is studyingTHC :) It also suggests, as we suspected, that inflammation plays a huge role in brain and central nervous system disorders.

I guess the big question is what is the best way to stimulate the endocannabanoid system to produce more THC compounds...

In a manuscript published in June 2016’s Aging and Mechanisms of Disease, the Salk team studied nerve cells altered to produce high levels of amyloid beta to mimic aspects of Alzheimer’s disease.

The researchers found that high levels of amyloid beta were associated with cellular inflammation and higher rates of neuron death. They demonstrated that exposing the cells to THC reduced amyloid beta protein levels and eliminated the inflammatory response from the nerve cells caused by the protein, thereby allowing the nerve cells to survive.

“Inflammation within the brain is a major component of the damage associated with Alzheimer’s disease, but it has always been assumed that this response was coming from immune-like cells in the brain, not the nerve cells themselves,” says Antonio Currais, a postdoctoral researcher in Schubert’s laboratory and first author of the paper. “When we were able to identify the molecular basis of the inflammatory response to amyloid beta, it became clear that THC-like compounds that the nerve cells make themselves may be involved in protecting the cells from dying.”

Recently, there was this study which showed that memory decline in Alzheimer's and dementia can be reduced through memory exercises. Keeping their brain engaged is very effective in combating the fast memory decline.
I have been following this news on CANNABINOIDS closely. It's quite encouraging for Alzheimer's patients and their caregivers. My uncle, who is suffering from initial stages of Alzheimer's, is right now under the guidance of an assisted living facilities, prestige care inc ( http://www.prestigecare.com/alzheimers.php ). How can I ensure that they are aware of the new developments in the studies conducted on Alzheimer's?

Last edited:

Not dead yet!

Wow this is great news!

@WilliamDonati I have a very negative view of all assisted living/nursing/etc places, I'll be up front about that. Both of my in laws suffer from dementia and in my experience, few places even keep them clean. In the end we had to bring them home and they live with a relative now. If you're not there, it doesn't matter if they know something or not, because nobody's there to say, "Hey, you didn't follow your policy when you did that."

You can ask them about this research, but their response is likely to be "we're following accepted guidelines for care." Or some similar statement meaning "butt out." When a parent is in an elder care facility, they get treated just like everyone else. If you want extra stimulation from a professional, you still have to pay more and hire an outsider to go there a few times a week. I've never tried to get THC for a relative (why isn't it purified yet?) for medical purposes, so I don't know what their reaction will be, but I imagine if the person isn't in a "legalized" state, the response will be reactionary.

There is a compromise you can make by hiring what is called a "care manager" who will negotiate with the care facility on your father's behalf. If you tell a care manager, "I want to be sure that he's getting 3 showers a week" then they will ask for the records for that. Those records can still be faked, though it's not usual. The usual thing is the log shows they didn't do it, and when you say "why not" they quote "because he said he didn't want to." If they say that, then they are not trained in taking care of Alz/dem sufferers. Or they are thinking you don't know any better and it was a false excuse. A Care Manager can help work this out without too many bruised feelings.

There are national associations for licensed care managers, seek them out. Here's an intro:
https://newoldage.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/10/06/why-hire-a-geriatric-care-manager/

It's really weird but I noticed that using a Care Manager makes anything I say more important to the staff at the care facility. It's not like taking care of kids where you can just go to the school and whatever you say may not be granted, but it will be taken seriously.

As soon as we hired one, my mother in laws personal effects were instantly "unlocked" (the CM made it clear that it was a federal violation to deprive her of her purse or phone, and they had done both). In 3 weeks my husband and I had made no progress on this matter. Also you're in control, especially if you're paying or if you have power of attorney. Never let them spook you. If you want him to have 5 PT sessions a week and they can't provide it, you can hire one over their heads to go visit. If you don't like the doctor who visits him, you can hire an outside doctor (most states have a network of elderly house calls doctors, ask your MD for recommendations). So in that way, you might have a more direct conversation about THC and its possible benefits to your dad.

One thing I will specifically mention because it is so common: if they start claiming he is a "fall risk" check his blood pressure meds. He may not need them anymore and if he's taking more than 1, get an outside doctor and disallow the local doctor to care for him. It's a common ploy to keep residents "in bed" because it makes it easier to care for them and less risk of injury for their insurance. But it's despicable abuse in my opinion. It can also be deadly, if you read up a bit on the death rate of people who undergo even simple surgery while taking beta blockers. Knowing which bp meds exactly do what, that can save your dad's life in my opinion. Don't be afraid to ask your own MD about it on behalf of your dad. I mean general questions like "How is an ACE inhibitor different from a Beta blocker?" We will all be elderly someday, so your MD should understand.

Sorry if this is long, I recently took care of my parents in law because we had so many issues with their facility, so it is still fresh in my mind. I don't mean to scaremonger but they looked at me like I was crazy when I made the tiniest requests. I think that's a tactic... make the kids wonder if they're asking for too much, when they are really just saying "treat them like this is their golden years, not like it's a burden." The word burden is a keyword. Most elderly people do not want to burden their kids. Many facilities use that against the elder to keep them from calling when they want help, or complaining of bad food, etc. They don't want to make trouble, so it's actually one time in life when it's beneficial to have a "look for trouble" attitude.

Perhaps if I get well enough, I'll certify with one of these Geriatric Care Management associations and be defender for some elders. I've got a wide streak of white knight syndrome. :)

Last edited:

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources