A Decades Long Struggle with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS) Ends

After Kate returns to complete health after 25 years she says for ME/CFS patients never to give up

1. Cort
    Source of the Story:
    Provided to Health Rising
    Resource Type:
    Patient Story
    Name:
    Kate
    Diagnosis:
    • Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
    Disease Course Over Time:
    In 1987 Kate, a very active and fit high school teacher gets a flu that really, really doesn't end; she experiences fever, chills, muscle and joint pain and fatigue, extreme sweating, tremor, memory problems, poor sleep, hair loss, swollen glands, increase urinary frequency, dizziness, night sweats. Twenty-five years later she is still ill.

Dr. Lerner finds an HHV-6 infection and prescribes Valcyte 1350 mg daily. She is to do no exercise.

She is now rates herself at a 9 our of 10 in health, teaches college, hosts large dinners, leads youth groups, exercises regularly, etc.
    Type of Onset:
    acute flu-like
    Approximate Date of Illness Began:
    1980-1990
    Duration:
    >20 years
    Symptoms:
    Fever, chills, muscle and joint pain and fatigue, extreme sweating, tremor, memory problems, poor sleep, hair loss, swollen glands, increase urinary frequency, dizziness, night sweats.
    Antiviral or Immune Modulators That Made a Difference for You:
    Valcyte
    Positive Test Results:
    HHV-6
    Present State of Health:
    • Fully recovered - no restrictions at all
    Words of Advice:
    DON'T give up finding a doctor who will listen and work with you.
    NO-you are not depressed. However you have every right to be.
    NO-it is not your hormones because you are a woman. It is not in your head. (Well it is, but in your all body too.)
    NO-exercise will not help. Actually it hurts because the virus multiplies with heat.

My prayer now is for a young doctor who will want to continue Dr. Lerner's work.
    When I was 35 yr. old, I felt like I was 60. Now that I am in my 60's, I feel like I am in my 30's. I lost 25 years of my life to this illness. I hope this story will tell others the success I am having and that they can find a hope.
    Additional Information:
    http://www.treatmentcenterforcfs.com/

Recent Reviews

1. Aidan Walsh
    Aidan Walsh
    1/5,
    If she has no Restrictions then Why? does she rate herself 9/10
  2. stevenm
    stevenm
    4/5,
    thanks for sharing