A Different Kind of Stress Shows Up in ME/CFS: Visual Stress

Cort

Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising
Staff member
Is every part of the body afflicted in some way? Sometimes it sure feels that way...This is the second study I'm aware of to show issues with the eyes - which are more than the keys to the soul...

Perception. 2015 Nov 3. pii: 0301006615614467. [Epub ahead of print]Increased Vulnerability to Pattern-Related Visual Stress in Myalgic Encephalomyelitis.Wilson RL1, Paterson KB1, Hutchinson CV2.
Author information

Abstract

The objective of this study was to determine vulnerability to pattern-related visual stress in Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS). A total of 20 ME/CFS patients and 20 matched (age, gender) controls were recruited to the study. Pattern-related visual stress was determined using the Pattern Glare Test. Participants viewed three patterns, the spatial frequencies (SF) of which were 0.3 (low-SF), 2.3 (mid-SF), and 9.4 (high-SF) cycles per degree (c/deg). They reported the number of distortions they experienced when viewing each pattern. ME/CFS patients exhibited significantly higher pattern glare scores than controls for the mid-SF pattern. Mid-high SF differences were also significantly higher in patients than controls. These findings provide evidence of altered visual perception in ME/CFS. Pattern-related visual stress may represent an identifiable clinical feature of ME/CFS that will prove useful in its diagnosis. However, further research is required to establish if these symptoms reflect ME/CFS-related changes in the functioning of sensory neural pathways.

Seven

Interesting, my down fall is noise (not visual) BUT when I got my neuropsy test, they said I had issues converting heard info into whatever I forgot detail. SO I wonder if the stress comes from the whatever area having issues in the brain. Just a thought. My lessions are small and white.

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources