CFS and Bipolar 2

Chfrazzle

I have a family member who has CFS and has also been diagnosed with mild Bipolar 2. I am learning more and more about this illness and its atypical traits. It's amazing how medical sites have generalized so many illnesses. I have definitely seen one manic episode 7 years ago and I believe one minor episode a month ago which did not result in insomnia but irritable, inpatient behavior. Problem is how do you differentiate a mild manic episode apart from just feeling better for a period of time? The same for a mild depressive episode. Could it just be increased CFS symptoms or is it Bipolar? If anyone has experience with this I would love to know. If you would like to reply here or message me directly, either would be helpful.

Last edited:

Issie

There are other illnesses that look like "mental disorder" and may be a very physical and correctable thing. Those with CIRS and/or Lyme and MCAS all have things that can affect moods and personalities. Yet only doctors really tuned into it will pick it up. Someone could get labeled very wrong. There is a Psychiatrist in AZ who treats people with CIRS and doesn't jump to conclusions on something this serious. Many people having treatment for these 3 things are having great life changes. Her name is Dr. Ackerly. If possible to see her, with a label already attached, Dr. Ackerly is a good choice. You can Google - Brain on Fire and pull info up on her. Another good doc for these things is Dr. Jennifer Smith in Scottsdale.

Exposure and reexposure to mold or having mast cell degranulation can all cause insomnia. If in that environment, could last for a long time as body is extremely sensitive to it. It will make one irritable and anxious as it does affect the brain.

Chfrazzle

I have a family member who has CFS and has also been diagnosed with mild Bipolar 2. I am learning more and more about this illness and its atypical traits. It's amazing how medical sites have generalized so many illnesses. I have definitely seen one manic episode 7 years ago and I believe one minor episode a month ago which did not result in insomnia but irritable, inpatient behavior. Problem is how do you differentiate a mild manic episode apart from just feeling better for a period of time? The same for a mild depressive episode. Could it just be increased CFS symptoms or is it Bipolar? If anyone has experience with this I would love to know. If you would like to reply here or message me directly, either would be helpful.

Chfrazzle

Thank you very much. I will check out the book. I know her Dr. was working on ruling out or in MCAS and I believe he is leaning toward her not having it. It’s not only the moods but her decision making process, priorities and impetuous behavior. Not sure if that would fit with MCAS or CIRS??

cujet

I'm about as steady state a guy as you'll find. No mood swings, no BS, just generally happy and optimistic. Yet, I have fatigue so severe the cyclic tiredness and cyclic physical inability pulls my soul down from what was a 50 year normal, despite my very positive nature. I'll put it this way, it's situational and not systemic. I recognize this clearly and never let it get me down. I simply know that good days are ahead, and better treatment is possible.

My situation is different than others. I know that I'm a heck of a lot better on low dose Prednisone, as I don't fatigue instantly and I go from 20% functional to maybe as much as 80%. I still have some remaining limitations with exertion/exercise, but that only kicks in occasionally. Bottom line: Feeling OK = content, happy and capable.

Last edited:

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources