Headphones to Stimulate the Vagus Nerve.

Remy

Administrator
Here's an interesting idea...stimulate the vagus nerve with special headphones and get more dopamine out of the deal. I wonder how they make you feel? Is it like a morphine drip high? I really might be tempted to shell out $299 to see...

http://www.sciencealert.com/headphones-that-get-you-high-are-tipped-to-go-on-sale-next-month

The headphones will pump music into your ears as normal, but at the same time, an integrated device will deliver a low-power electrical signal through your ear canal to stimulate the Vagus nerve - a nerve that runs from the brainstem to the abdomen and plays a role in the release of dopamine, a neurotransmitter that helps control the brain’s reward and pleasure centres.

Who Me?

I think someone posted about this. Shoot let me look and see if I can find it.

Totally blanking out on who posted it. Shoot.

IrisRV

@Remy, you find the most interesting things!

I had a student whose primary symptoms (besides very low stamina and PEM) were GI and OI. Those symptoms were seriously debilitating. He used a traditional (if you can call it that) vagus nerve stimulator and had a huge improvement in GI and OI symptoms.

The dopamine thing would be nice, too. ;) I don't think my student got that effect.

Headphones and music in your ears sounds a lot better than a clunky electrical device taped to your head. I'm not ready to shell out $299 just to try it, though.

Who Me?

So bad for us that are noise intolerant or get PEM if exposed too much to noise. I love the idea, hate the music thing.

I can't tolerate music. In a car is ok and sometimes on TV. But usually it makes me insane. Never knew anyone else that had the music thing.

Seven

I can't tolerate music. In a car is ok and sometimes on TV. But usually it makes me insane. Never knew anyone else that had the music thing.
I go to the movies with earplugs, If I am in a crowded area to avoid PEM I use earplugs. Noise is a major crasher for me. So I block a lot, when I am crashed I am overly sensitive to noise. I have heard others, to be honest most fall into the light or noise category. The very disabled ones with both.

Cort

Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising
Staff member
I think someone posted about this. Shoot let me look and see if I can find it.

Totally blanking out on who posted it. Shoot.
I'm pretty sure that I did. There's a company in San Diego I think which uses music to stimulate the vagus nerve as well. Not sure where the link is but I will find it.'

I love the idea that it may be increasing dopamine. Dopamine could be really important in ME/CFS and FM.

Headphones that stimulate the release of dopamine in your brain and reportedly make you feel high as hell have been invented by Florida-based tech company, Nervana, and are set to go on sale as early as next month.

The headphones will pump music into your ears as normal, but at the same time, an integrated device will deliver a low-power electrical signal through your ear canal to stimulate the Vagus nerve - a nerve that runs from the brainstem to the abdomen and plays a role in the release of dopamine, a neurotransmitter that helps control the brain’s reward and pleasure centres.

That looks really intriguing Remy :). I hope someone tries it out.

Last edited:

San Diego

I can’t do music, either. I am so annoyed that every commercial, youtube video, movie, etc has music in the intro. I have to mute it. If the music plays in the background while people are talking, I can’t watch it.

And has anyone else noticed that commercials play at twice the volume as whatever show is on? I’ve learned to let the show get ahead on my DVR so I can FF through them. They are like an auditory assault!

Basically, I watch TV with on finger on the reduce volume button and one on the mute.

Who Me?

I'm ok with stuff on Tv for short time. Commercials don't bug me. Although I'm watching Lip Sync Battle right now and it's driving me nuts.

I used to love to blast Doobie Brothers to clean the house. Now I need the drone of the TV.

yes commercials for years have raised the volume. Like if the make it louder I'll be more apt to by a new car.

San Diego

I'm ok with stuff on Tv for short time. Commercials don't bug me. Although I'm watching Lip Sync Battle right now and it's driving me nuts.

I used to love to blast Doobie Brothers to clean the house. Now I need the drone of the TV.

yes commercials for years have raised the volume. Like if the make it louder I'll be more apt to by a new car.
I remember sometime (in the 70’s?) when the FCC outlawed that practice??? Anyway I didn’t notice until I got ME. Now it’s like fingernails on a chalkboard.

Lissa

I can’t do music, either. I am so annoyed that every commercial, youtube video, movie, etc has music in the intro. I have to mute it. If the music plays in the background while people are talking, I can’t watch it.

And has anyone else noticed that commercials play at twice the volume as whatever show is on? I’ve learned to let the show get ahead on my DVR so I can FF through them. They are like an auditory assault!

Basically, I watch TV with on finger on the reduce volume button and one on the mute.

Yes, an auditory assault!! Perfect description. Recently my husband wanted me to hear a great song he found. I tried really hard to sit and listen - I used to enjoy music before I got sick.

It wasn't about disliking the music. It just had the effect of making me physically ill. The longer I tried to separate the lyrics from the music, so I could piece together the words enough to make sense of if all, the sicker I felt.

I felt like my head was going to pop off and shatter into pieces. The sound was jangly and piercing --- an assault to my brain. I quickly wanted to cover my ears, and I had to leave the room because it was all moving into the nausea zone.

It seems so ridiculous and downright incomprehensible unless you've experienced if yourself.

One fascinating note: found that classical orchestra accompaniment along with some folk-ish music actually pleased my brain. Something about the smooth synchronicity of the instruments made it all work. That felt great to enjoy music again - even if it was temporary!

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources