How the elderly and the disabled become wards and lose their rights.

Not dead yet!

This article is chilling. It's the first time I wondered, is it fake news? It tells the story of a Nevada elderly couple who were basically kidnapped from their home, and all their posessions sold in estate sales, isolated from family members, etc. One of them because his doctor said he was confused and agitated and the other because of assumed disability.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2017/10/09/how-the-elderly-lose-their-rights

However I reflect that it happened in Nevada, and there have been enough hints that Nevada courts are not what they seem. I probably haven't tried to get disability due to stories like this. It terrifies me to think this could happen to me.

ShyestofFlies

The new yorker is indeed a real publication.

It is theoreticaly possible to do this to anyone of any age, but the elderly and disabled are especially vulnerable. One lesson I have learned in life is never put it past abusive people to do whatever the heck they want, and laugh about it later.

Whether the victims will get justice, no one knows- even if the action was illegal. Our legal system in the US has some good things but many flaws.

As far as disability, SS based programs are national programs. They go through the social security administration first. If you are able to prepare your case there have been people having higher rates of approval by compiling summaries of their doctors visits and test results (from the doctors existing longer records).

It seems getting approved on the first try without ever having to go before the judge is more likely if you do their job for them. If you are very concerned you may want to try to liaise with your state's disability advocacy group (every state has one).

Some states also use judges from other states right now due to the amount of work there is for them now. I mention all this in case you do need to get benefits, as it is best to start that process early if you need it- (once you are in genuine disabled).

Not dead yet!

I don't really know. I hide a lot of symptoms, even from myself.

I had an event a few years ago where a neurologist reported me to the DMV because I said I had an episode of unknown cause that was a bit like a seizure. Immediately the DMV acted to take my license away. Note: there was NO seizure, and the test I had gone it for, was negative for seizure activity, so there was NO diagnosis. But the DMV was ready to pull my ability to drive based on a story I told of an event that happened once for about 10 minutes.

Since there was no official reason, I went to court to defend myself (with a lawyer) to defend myself against an allegation of "general poor condition."

Yeah, never tell an NC doctor that you're dizzy. Never. You have no idea where that will lead. I also no longer discuss my concerns with nurses or PA's. My doctor in a closed room, or no details. I'll lie to a nurse and say I have "flu like symptoms" and that's why. Only my doctor gets to hear my real story. One person. I don't need a committee.

That said, I have 3 close friends and another acquaintance who all have MS and all still drive, despite being disabled. Each of them have encouraged me to apply. My health waxes and wanes, but the median is worse than where they are and it's impossible for me to work. People who might fall asleep in midday or be late every day aren't good employees. I wish I could focus enough to do the crafts I used to do. I might make a modest living as a crafter on Etsy. But now I fall asleep or my hands ache in an hour. I used to be able to work all day on a quilt or crochet blanket. And I never used patterns, the patterns formed in my mind. Everything except verbal has been affected. I thank God every day, that I have this much left.

I saw a similar thing happen to a family member of mine, who I helped rescue from a horribly abusive nursing home where she wasn't even allowed to go outside once a week to breathe fresh air! That's worse treatment than people in prison. Her finances were fiercely protected by a third party and I can't thank that accountant enough for her vigilance. Being a refugee I have a special fear of being "locked up" or having my civil rights infringed. I recently found out some horrors from my family's past. Things that should not happen to anyone. But the next time someone says "why did you leave your country of origin" I can honestly say "because my life was in danger." Until now, my family didn't tell me the whole truth.

What strikes me the most about this loss of civil rights is that it's often triggered by debts that go unpaid. It seems to me that we fought a Revolutionary War to put an end to "debtor's prison" and such abuses in the old UK system. When I say "we" I mean we Americans because this is the only life I've ever known. I wouldn't last a day in the old country. Even the UK has abandoned such debtor prison / workhouse notions. Are we really dumb enough to revive it? And foist it on our elders? That's just .... sick.

Last edited:

Cort

Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising
Staff member
This article is chilling. It's the first time I wondered, is it fake news? It tells the story of a Nevada elderly couple who were basically kidnapped from their home, and all their posessions sold in estate sales, isolated from family members, etc. One of them because his doctor said he was confused and agitated and the other because of assumed disability.

However I reflect that it happened in Nevada, and there have been enough hints that Nevada courts are not what they seem. I probably haven't tried to get disability due to stories like this. It terrifies me to think this could happen to me.
What a powerful piece! I am passing it on to my Uncle and Dad (who suffers from dementia) and the kids.

Thanks so much for sharing it.

I had no idea!

LauraB

Yes this is true. Watch the documentary "The Guardians" upon which this article was built. Clark County, Nevada WAS a hotspot for this. The judge and conservators are now in prison. This also happens in Texas a lot. And if you've heard of Brittany Spears, yes, it even happens in California. Things will probably be worse in California, now that we can have mentally ill people committed involuntarily now. Be careful of what doctors you see if you live in California. Since so many of them still think we're mentally ill!

SarahTee

Sorry to say that this is a problem in Australia too. Here it’s a government body called the Public Trustee that’s been treating people unfairly.

One of our respected journalism tv programs, Four Corners, investigated this issue a few years ago. Sometimes regulators and governements take more notice of this program than complaints from the public, so things may have improved.

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources