Researchers Discover Potential Genetic Trigger of Lupus and Sjögren's

Discussion in 'Health News' started by bobby, Jun 30, 2016.

1. bobby

bobby Well-Known Member

https://www.hss.edu/newsroom_mary-crow-genetic-trigger-study.asp

Merida likes this.
  2. Cort

Cort Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising Staff Member

The idea that virus-like elements in our genome of all things may spur autoimmune diseases is both fascinating and makes sense given the viral trigger that seems to be able to set autoimmune diseases. Does a viral attack spur the release of old virus-like genomic elements?

My mother died of Sjogren's - its of real interest to me personally and genomically..

It's a little weird too, to think that our genes may be producing transcripts that the immune systems thinks are viruses..Yuck...

Thanks for the post.

Merida and bobby like this.
  3. Seven

Seven Well-Known Member

There is sojern in my family too I wonder what is the prevalence of that kind in family members of cfsers.

Merida likes this.
  4. Issie

Issie Well-Known Member

My mom had sojourn too

Merida likes this.
  5. Cort

Cort Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising Staff Member

You know hopefully we will find that out either with the CDC Multi-site study or with the genetic study the Bateman-Horne Institute is doing. I remember very early going to a doctor and when I told her that my mother died of Sjogren's she said - well there you have it - that's why you have ME/CFS.

Merida and Seven like this.
  6. ShyestofFlies

ShyestofFlies Well-Known Member

Interesting, my autoimmune disease is possibly going to progress (1/3 of people with my dx progress to a specific defined CTD) - to sjogrens or lupus most likely (with scleroderma or mixed as a possible alternative- I think they feel RA is unlikely- but can't be sure). I wonder if this is more related to my CFS or ME than I thought?

Merida likes this.
  7. Merida

Merida Well-Known Member

Wow, just reading this post. So important. Just spoke with person who has lupus and daughter is diagnosed with fibro. We had many cases of autoimmune disorders in families with FMS/CFS in support group. My grandmother had rheumatoid arthritis. There is asthma/ allergies throughout my family.

Very interesting. My CFS / immunologist doc told me he thinks we are all related - HLA B27 folks. ( He is double board certified - internal medicine/ infectious disease/ professor at local university) He also told me ( when I asked) that he thinks we have had viruses that came from sources "off planet" introduced to our human population. I asked if this was accidental or intentional. He said, " I don't know. I don't know."

I have lived long enough to see some pretty strange things. A shock to someone who is degreed in biology, always believed in the scientific method , began original research in high school in conjunction with the University of Pittsburgh, got a letter of commendation from the CDC for isolating a new species of Pasteurella, taught science, etc etc. Just saying this so I hope you can appreciate that I am not totally ' off my rocker.'

Lissa and bobby like this.