Low platelets and low B-12!

Diana Maus

My platelets have been dropping for several years, now at 78. My previous doc didn't seem concerned (he's a cardiologist). I started B12 supplements in November when a new doctor finally diagnosed a B12 deficiency. Looking back at tests, this deficiency has been there for years and my old doc didn't address it. My newest bloodwork shows platelets at 78 x 1000. Does anyone know if low blood volume in CFS can cause this result? I'm not sure if she checked my B12 again this time But I will ask. I'm not sure my supplement of 500 mcg/day is being absorbed. But I'm worried about pernicious anemia or worse with such low platelets.

Edited: I found some later blood work in which my declining platelets went back up to within normal boundaries over the next two years. So I think I'm just panicky about my health, as usual.
I remember my cardiologist saying your platelet cunt can go up and down and he wasn't concerned. That an infection or illness can affect it.

Last edited:

Remy

Administrator
My platelets have been dropping for several years, now at 78. My previous doc didn't seem concerned (he's a cardiologist). I started B12 supplements in November when a new doctor finally diagnosed a B12 deficiency. Looking back at tests, this deficiency has been there for years and my old doc didn't address it. My newest bloodwork shows platelets at 78 x 1000. Does anyone know if low blood volume in CFS can cause this result? I'm not sure if she checked my B12 again this time But I will ask. I'm not sure my supplement of 500 mcg/day is being absorbed. But I'm worried about pernicious anemia or worse with such low platelets.
I don't know for sure but my guess is no, low blood volume would not cause this result. If anything, I'd say that low blood volume would make the platelet count higher as it does for red blood cells in relative polycythemia.

I think it probably makes sense to follow up with a hematologist.

Diana Maus

I don't know for sure but my guess is no, low blood volume would not cause this result. If anything, I'd say that low blood volume would make the platelet count higher as it does for red blood cells in relative polycythemia.

I think it probably makes sense to follow up with a hematologist.
Thanks. I edited my post to include some more test results I found and it made me relax a tiny bit until I talk to my new doc about this. Most afraid of cancer since my mom died of lymphoma at a young age. CFS causes so many symptoms, I do panic occasionally.

Ladyliegh

When I remember to take my B12, I take 5,000 mcg. a day. Also the pill form doesn't always work, I always take the sublingual (dissolving) tablets.
I personally feel the low blood volume could be responsible for most all the symptoms we have, but I could be wrong.
I just recently read here, that craving salt is something CFS can cause. The body's way in trying to increase blood volume, I would guess.
I am a salt fiend, I do use sea salt & it seems not to raise my bp.

Diana Maus

When I remember to take my B12, I take 5,000 mcg. a day. Also the pill form doesn't always work, I always take the sublingual (dissolving) tablets.
I personally feel the low blood volume could be responsible for most all the symptoms we have, but I could be wrong.
I just recently read here, that craving salt is something CFS can cause. The body's way in trying to increase blood volume, I would guess.
I am a salt fiend, I do use sea salt & it seems not to raise my bp.
I was using salt in the early days to boost blood volume so I could stand for more than a few minutes. I still crave it but should cut down. I once had an IV saline boost when I broke my ankle and it colored my cheeks and made me feel so much better. That was 11 years ago.

I've been asked to take 500 B12. I hope she asked for B12 results. The results trickle in from Kaiser. The test was this morning.

Cort

Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising
Staff member
Thanks. I edited my post to include some more test results I found and it made me relax a tiny bit until I talk to my new doc about this. Most afraid of cancer since my mom died of lymphoma at a young age. CFS causes so many symptoms, I do panic occasionally.
I know how it is....Honestly I have to tell myself to calm down...

Please let us know how the B12 test goes.

Cort

Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising
Staff member
I was using salt in the early days to boost blood volume so I could stand for more than a few minutes. I still crave it but should cut down. I once had an IV saline boost when I broke my ankle and it colored my cheeks and made me feel so much better. That was 11 years ago.

I've been asked to take 500 B12. I hope she asked for B12 results. The results trickle in from Kaiser. The test was this morning.
Did you know that you can easily make your own oral rehydration solution?

It's in our Orthostatic Intolerance Resources Section - about halfway down the page - http://www.healthrising.org/forums/...static-intolerance-pots-and-dysautonomia.119/

It's being tested in POTS/ME/CFS right now. The researcher testing it thinks it may be as effective as saline solution.

Diana Maus

I know how it is....Honestly I have to tell myself to calm down...

Please let us know how the B12 test goes.
I got my B12 result this morning it went from 254 last July to 1107 yesterday. I did take my B12 supplement yesterday morning before the test. It didn't occur to me not to. Reading online I see that some people say you should go off supplements before test.

So, i will be asking my doc about the ups and downs of my platelets over the years. As I get older, fear of age related illness is replacing fears of CFS related illness.

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources