Take Your Fish Oil Supplements!

Cort

Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising
Staff member
Given the reduced activity, increased rates of oxidative stress and studies showing problematic cardiovascular health results in ME/CFS this finding should probably be of interest.

Stanford recently developed a better test of inflammation called a "cytokine response score" which measures the response of cytokines to stimulation. A higher score is better; the only drug or supplement that made a difference in this score were fish oil supplements.

What happened to people with low scores?

In addition to responding more sluggishly to dangers such as infectious pathogens or incipient tumors, the aging immune system tends to spend its downtime — periods when it has no imminent challenge to respond to — in a low-grade inflammatory state. Medical experts are increasingly convinced that this constantly thrumming, systemic, inflammatory activity threatens diverse tissues throughout the body.

I would be really surprised if ME/CFS or FM patients' hearts were relaxing much between beats - see below. Plus some evidence suggests that ME/CFS/FM patients are aging more rapidly.
A blood test devised by Stanford University School of Medicine scientists spits out a single number that strongly predicts the development of the world’s most prevalent medical disorder: cardiovascular disease.

While more research remains to be done, there’s good reason to suspect that this test could be used to predict many other diseases of old age, said Mark Davis, PhD, professor of microbiology and immunology.

The researchers found that cytokine response scores were inversely correlated with clinical signs of atherosclerosis and with two measures associated with the heart’s ability to relax between beats.

Importantly, the borderline subjects also had low cytokine response scores. The scores’ predictive value exceeded that of CRP tests, the current standard for measuring inflammation-based cardiovascular risk.

Last edited:

AquaFit

Thank for sharing this study! Nice to see Stanford researchers trying natural ingredients for the body to synthesize on its own which is always better if possible.

So funny - every time I read about a topic or something happens in my life re ME, someone on healthrising will talk about it. My hubby just came home after having the dog checked at the vet for a cyst. My hubby proceeds to explain mast cells and histamines and what we should do for the dog - absolutely not realizing I've been trying to tell him the same info when explaining ME! Now I know where I stand in this house... :hilarious:

Cort

Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising
Staff member
Thank for sharing this study! Nice to see Stanford researchers trying natural ingredients for the body to synthesize on its own which is always better if possible.

So funny - every time I read about a topic or something happens in my life re ME, someone on healthrising will talk about it. My hubby just came home after having the dog checked at the vet for a cyst. My hubby proceeds to explain mast cells and histamines and what we should do for the dog - absolutely not realizing I've been trying to tell him the same info when explaining ME! Now I know where I stand in this house... :hilarious:
LOL - that's hilarious...:wacky:. What a great anecdote...

Empty

are you trying turmeric/castor oil - I am just about to give it a go on my dog. what did your vet recommend if you don't mind sharing?

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources