Fluoroquinolone-Associated Disability: Another starting point for ME/CFS?

TJ_Fitz

Two years ago, an ENT prescribed ciprofloxacin for me to treat a persistent sinus infection. When I got the prescription and looked at the bottle, I was certain I had taken it before in my childhood or youth. I proceeded with the antibiotics, but soon felt terrible depression, cognitive impairment, incredible fatigue, and deep muscle and joint aches like I had never experienced before. My right shoulder also froze up during the therapy.

After I completed the course, and my brain fog eased up, I started reading up on the drug and learned about fluoroquinolone toxicity (FQT), now known as fluoroquinolone-associated disability (FQAD). This class of antibiotic damages mitochondrial DNA. Some people are crippled for life after only a few doses! I had to wonder if that first round of Cipro was what initiated my ME and made me so susceptible to mold/biotoxin illness.

I haven't found any references to fluoroquinolones anywhere on the forum, so here is some information for those interested.

Perhaps this will be useful to some here.

Ps: If you start hunting for more info about FQT/FQAD, you will inevitably come across the "Floxie Hope" website. When you do, just keep moving, because it's garbage.

Last edited:

jaminhealth

Maybe 20 yrs agp and before she WOKE up about pharma drugs, my daughter tooks some abx drugs and with the Cipro she took, we believe she ended up with 2 damaged feet, one worse than the other. She's now 60 and won't touch a pharma drug now....but lives with the horrid damage.

buckey

I often wonder if the tetracycline I took as a teenager caused my me/cfs.
I took huge bottles of tetracycline for acne for aprox. 1.5 yrs which must be a lot considering you can't get many abx for more than 2 weeks max.
Tetra never did take my acne away. I took my shirt off and layed in the sun for 1 week... my acne went away.
When I told the Dr. The abx were not working, he just kept saying "keep taking them"
Yeah ,sure makes shareholders big profits🤪

Conceptually, anything that alters the microbiome (including probiotics) have a risk of shifting the microbiome into a dysfunctional state where thing can become stabilized.
My model is that ME/CFS is a mainly a stable dysfunctional microbiome.

TJ_Fitz

My model is that ME/CFS is a mainly a stable dysfunctional microbiome.
That's one possible etiology. Clearly there are others, though: dybiosis doesn't cause spinal cord tethering, for example, and it would be quite a stretch to attribute post-viral illness or CIRS to bad gut bugs.

TJ_Fitz

Maybe 20 yrs agp and before she WOKE up about pharma drugs, my daughter tooks some abx drugs and with the Cipro she took, we believe she ended up with 2 damaged feet, one worse than the other. She's now 60 and won't touch a pharma drug now....but lives with the horrid damage.
I think it's best to look at medications on a case by case basis. Cipro was a horrible drug for me, and it didn't even clear up the sinus infection it was intended to treat. On the other hand, I have bipolar 2 disorder and Lamictal and, to a lesser extent, Zoloft, have been minor miracles for me. It's nearly impossible to pace myself during a hypomanic episode, and these drugs help me stay grounded and calm enough to slow down and listen to my body.

You might also consider the countless lives that have been saved by antibiotics over the past century. Yes, they mess up your microbiome, but that's far preferable to dying of sepsis or tetanus.

That's one possible etiology. Clearly there are others, though: dybiosis doesn't cause spinal cord tethering, for example, and it would be quite a stretch to attribute post-viral illness or CIRS to bad gut bugs.
The microbiome produces over 6000 different metabolites -- dysbiosis means over and under production of the these metabolites which will cascade into cells in the body behaving differently.
📓 Potential role of microbiome in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/Myalgic Encephalomyelits (CFS/ME).
Scientific reports (Sci Rep ) Vol: 11 Issue 1 Pages: 7043
Pub: 2021 Mar 29 Epub: 2021
📓 Chronic fatigue syndrome patients have alterations in their oral microbiome composition and function.
PloS one (PLoS One ) Vol: 13 Issue 9 Pages: e0203503
📓 Increased d-lactic Acid intestinal bacteria in patients with chronic fatigue syndrome.
In vivo (Athens, Greece) (In Vivo ) Vol: 23 Issue 4 Pages: 621-8
📓 A Pair of Identical Twins Discordant for Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Differ in Physiological Parameters and Gut Microbiome Composition.
The American journal of case reports (Am J Case Rep ) Vol: 17 Issue Pages: 720-729
Pub: 2016 Oct 10
📓 Fecal metagenomic profiles in subgroups of patients with myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome.
Microbiome (Microbiome ) Vol: 5 Issue 1 Pages: 44
Pub: 2017 Apr 26
Open-label pilot for treatment targeting gut dysbiosis in myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome: neuropsychological symptoms and sex comparisons.
Journal of translational medicine (J Transl Med ) Vol: 16 Issue 1 Pages: 39
Pub: 2018 Feb 23
📓 Reversion of Gut Microbiota during the Recovery Phase in Patients with Asymptomatic or Mild COVID-19: Longitudinal Study.
Microorganisms (Microorganisms ) Vol: 9 Issue 6 Pages:
Pub: 2021 Jun 7
📓 The gut microbiome of COVID-19 recovered patients returns to uninfected status in a minority-dominated United States cohort.
Gut microbes (Gut Microbes ) Vol: 13 Issue 1 Pages: 1-15
Pub: 2021 Jan-Dec
📓 Gut Microbiota May Not Be Fully Restored in Recovered COVID-19 Patients After 3-Month Recovery.
Frontiers in nutrition (Front Nutr ) Vol: 8 Issue Pages: 638825
Pub: 2021 Epub: 2021 May 13
📓 Gut microbiota dynamics in a prospective cohort of patients with post-acute COVID-19 syndrome.
Gut (Gut ) Vol: Issue Pages:
Pub: 2022 Jan 26
📓 Alterations in microbiota of patients with COVID-19: potential mechanisms and therapeutic interventions.
Signal transduction and targeted therapy (Signal Transduct Target Ther ) Vol: 7 Issue 1 Pages: 143
Pub: 2022 Apr 29
📓 It Ain`t Over `Til It`s Over: SARS CoV-2 and Post-infectious Gastrointestinal Dysmotility.
Digestive diseases and sciences (Dig Dis Sci ) Vol: Issue Pages:
Pub: 2022 Mar 30
📓 Integrated analysis of gut microbiome and host immune responses in COVID-19.
Frontiers of medicine (Front Med ) Vol: 16 Issue 2 Pages: 263-275
Pub: 2022 Apr
📓 Multi-kingdom gut microbiota analyses define COVID-19 severity and post-acute COVID-19 syndrome.
Nature communications (Nat Commun ) Vol: 13 Issue 1 Pages: 6806
Pub: 2022 Nov 1

TJ_Fitz

The microbiome produces over 6000 different metabolites -- dysbiosis means over and under production of the these metabolites which will cascade into cells in the body behaving differently.
I'm just not going to read all that. Sorry! I don't have the brain power or training to make sense of more than abstracts and conclusions / discussions in scientific papers, much less to evaluate the methods and statistics to determine if the study is reliable.

The only ways I know of to improve the microbiome are with probiotics, fecal transplant, and dietary changes. If probiotics were the cure, I doubt that this forum would exist. Last I checked, fecal transplants are only allowed in the USA to a very small population of patients with a certain diagnosis. I suspect that most of us here have tried a variety of dietary interventions without being cured.

If you can offer something new and actionable, I'm all ears!

I'm just not going to read all that. Sorry! I don't have the brain power or training to make sense of more than abstracts and conclusions / discussions in scientific papers, much less to evaluate the methods and statistics to determine if the study is reliable.

The only ways I know of to improve the microbiome are with probiotics, fecal transplant, and dietary changes. If probiotics were the cure, I doubt that this forum would exist. Last I checked, fecal transplants are only allowed in the USA to a very small population of patients with a certain diagnosis. I suspect that most of us here have tried a variety of dietary interventions without being cured.

If you can offer something new and actionable, I'm all ears!
You need to know HOW it is shifted (everyone has different shifts). You need to get detail information and work with it. Some examples are here: Analysis Posts on Long COVID and ME/CFS
You also did not mention ANTIBIOTICS --- not random one, but appropriate for the objectively measured microbiome shift.
See Video Presentation of Dr. Jadin’s Current Protocol for ME/CFS, Q-Fever, Chronic Lyme and related conditions over 25 years of successful treatment of ME/CFS. Her approach worked for me.
Last item, the probiotic that seems to be most effective for assisting the treatment of ME/CFS is MUTAFLOR (E.Coli Nissle 1917) which is not available for sale in the US without prescription.

TJ_Fitz

You need to know HOW it is shifted (everyone has different shifts). You need to get detail information and work with it. Some examples are here: Analysis Posts on Long COVID and ME/CFS
You also did not mention ANTIBIOTICS --- not random one, but appropriate for the objectively measured microbiome shift.
See Video Presentation of Dr. Jadin’s Current Protocol for ME/CFS, Q-Fever, Chronic Lyme and related conditions over 25 years of successful treatment of ME/CFS. Her approach worked for me.
Last item, the probiotic that seems to be most effective for assisting the treatment of ME/CFS is MUTAFLOR (E.Coli Nissle 1917) which is not available for sale in the US without prescription.
Thank you. Patients can possibly do something with that. Personally, I'm not interested in intentionally putting any kind of gram-negative (i.e. endotoxic) bacteria into my body because of my history of biotoxin illness, but others with different etiologies may find that helpful.

glenn_chan

Traumatic brain injury might also be another possible trigger for chronic illness- I'm not sure if that's been discussed before. It does overlap with Long COVID symptoms in terms of light and sound sensitivity (can't tolerate certain visual or auditory situations) and the symptoms of meningitis.

buckey

1.5 yrs of tetracycline ,I'm pretty sure was my straw that broke my me/cfs back but we'll see what comes out in "the wash".
It's funny, the guy that invented the synthetic gut flora replacement....has patent for it
it can only be used if a person has c diff.
It could help so many others

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources