Supplements to Reverse Metabolic Syndrome?

Lissa

After eating a low carb (practically no carb) diet for 10 months, I had my blood drawn about 10 days ago fully expecting to see that fasting 85 BG, and an a1c to be envious of. Instead, my fasting BG was still over 100 (105) and my a1c was a borderline prediabetic 5.7, which I think equates to an average BG of about 117. It was lower when I was eating carbohydrates (5.2).

I'm so confused...

My story is much the same.... Makes zero sense. Insert primal scream.

Remy

Administrator
My story is much the same.... Makes zero sense. Insert primal scream.
Yes, group primal scream!!!

I have read about transiently increased blood sugar as a result of making the switch to low carb but that seems unlikely to be what is happening with us. Let me read on that phenomenon again and see if it applies though.

Tigerlily

@Who Me?

It doesn't have strips, there's a pad at the bottom where you dab the blood. It's much less of a fiddle. ACU check mobile. I wonder if the problem is through increasing fats that are too high in omega 6? Are you all eating 100% grass fed? It's pretty depressing eh? I have also cut back on salt and will be checking my BP soon which was sometimes 145/85 even 165 once.

Remy

Administrator
Are you all eating 100% grass fed?
We get our meat from a local farm...I typically picked the grass-fed/non-GMO corn finished option as I prefer the taste over the 100% grass fed.

But honestly, I eat chicken or fish 99% of the time.

Tigerlily

With grain? I have no idea about the chicken unfortunately. I'll have to call and ask the farm what the chickens eat for sure...

Was eating always this hard???

Yes a lot of chicken are given grain as they need more than other animals and especially in the winter. Some paleos eat little chicken because of it. I know :(

Remy

Administrator
Here's another one about insulin resistance and carnitine. I need to read it about 4 more times!

http://diabetes.diabetesjournals.org/content/62/1/1.full#ref-14

The incidence of obesity and insulin resistance is growing, and the increase in type 2 diabetes mellitus (DM2) constitutes one of the biggest challenges for our healthcare systems. Many theories are proposed for the induction of insulin resistance in glucose and lipid metabolism and its metabolic sequelae. One of these mechanisms is lipotoxicity (1–4): excess lipid supply and subsequent lipid accumulation in insulin-sensitive tissues such as skeletal muscle interfere with insulin-responsive metabolic pathways. Various lipid intermediates, like ceramides, gangliosides, diacylglycerol, and other metabolites, have been held responsible for insulin resistance (2,3,5–10). These intermediates can exert such effects because they are signaling molecules and building blocks of cellular membranes, which harbor the insulin receptor. In addition, lipids play an important role in energy homeostasis. Fatty acids (FA) can be metabolized via mitochondrial FA oxidation (FAO), which yields energy (11). As such, FAO competes with glucose oxidation in a process known as the glucose-FA, or Randle, cycle (12).

Muoio and colleagues (1,13,14) proposed an alternative mechanism in which FAO rate outpaces the tricarboxylic acid cycle (TCA), thereby leading to the accumulation of intermediary metabolites such as acylcarnitines that may interfere with insulin sensitivity. This accumulation of acylcarnitines corroborates with some human studies showing that acylcarnitines are associated with insulin resistance (15–17). In addition, acylcarnitines have a long history in the diagnosis and neonatal screening of FAO defects and other inborn errors of metabolism (18). This knowledge may aid to understand the interaction between FAO and insulin resistance and fuel future research. In this review, we discuss the role of acylcarnitines in FAO and insulin resistance as emerging from animal and human studies.

Upgrayedd

Here's another one about insulin resistance and carnitine. I need to read it about 4 more times!

http://diabetes.diabetesjournals.org/content/62/1/1.full#ref-14
Let me know when it sinks in. My brain is too foggy to make sense of all of that. The article you posted prior to this one made more sense.

It said I think, more or less, that eating a ketogenic diet changes the way insulin is released and although the markers are similar to diabetes, they occur for entirely different reasons. If I got that right, I still don't know what to make of it. Does that mean it's not bad to have higher bs and a1c on a ketogenic diet? Or does that mean we should be working to lower these markers?

Ugh???!!!?!?

Lissa

A little behind on the thread here, but --- yep --- I eat grass fed beef, organic chicken, organic pork, and a lovely veggie CSA. Also some wild caught (but store bought! ha ha) fish occasionally. I wasn't aware that the "finish" could be affecting things too. Although it makes sense now that I think about it.

I can add a story of eating commercially raised steaks a few years ago --- I'm soy intolerant and had a "soy reaction" after eating steaks that friends brought over for dinner. (My husband grilled them so I know it wasn't the seasoning.) Seems like "you are what you eat" applies to cows!!! And unfortunately it got passed along to me! (I shudder to think any further on the processed food industry...)

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources