A Simple Test for Orthostatic Intolerance in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and Fibromyalgia: The NASA Way

Resource A Simple Test for Orthostatic Intolerance in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and Fibromyalgia: The NASA Way

Cort

Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising
Staff member
Cort submitted a new resource:

A Simple Way to Test for Orthostatic Intolerance - The NASA Way - Dr. Lucinda Bateman introduces the NASA home orthostatic intolerance test

(Who better to develop a simple test for orthostatic intolerance than NASA. Virtually everyone, after all, who spends time in space comes back at risk for a temporary bout of orthostatic intolerance. As Janet Meek of Life Sciences Research Laboratories at the Johnson Space Center said "A lot of stuff goes haywire" when they get back to earth.

Thanks to Dr. Bateman of the Bateman Horne Center for allow Health Rising to publish her "How To" for the NASA 10 minute lean test)...

Read more about this resource...

Cort

Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising
Staff member
Kind of hard to do if you're alone.

@Cort why can't the entire resource be here? I have to keep going to other links to get the info. Let me read it all here on this thread.
I tried but couldn't upload the Pdf's to the post for some reason.

Seven

question, what are the ranges for the teens/ children? Does anybody knows?

From Cort:

Dr. Bell in his home testing approach uses the following figures to assess orthostatic intolerance

Normal
  • Normal sBP: recumbent: 100-142; Standing (4 min) : 94-141; Orthostatic change: -19 to +11
  • Normal dBP: recumbent: 55-90; Standing : 61-97; Orthostatic change: -9 to+22
  • Normal P: recumbent: 54-96; Standing : 62-108; Orthostatic change: -6 to +27
Abnormal
  • Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome (POTS): increase in heart rate of 28 bpm or to greater than 110 b/min.
  • Orthostatic systolic hypotension: fall in systolic blood pressure of 20 mmHg or more
  • Orthostatic diastolic hypotension: fall in diastolic BP of 10 mm Hg or more.
  • Orthostatic diastolic hypertension: rise in diastolic BP to 98 mm Hg or higher
  • Orthostatic narrowing of pulse pressure: fall in pulse pressure to 18 mm Hg or lower.

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources