Back on Home-made kefir

Cort

Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising
Staff member
I'm starting again on home-made kefir. Again I'm surprised at how powerful (and how much cheaper and more powerful it is than store-bought version. It's an entirely different animal - generally a pretty clear liquid - often fizzy - and it really packs a punch. It's definitely an energy elevator for me.

You can make soy kefir or rice milk kefir but I tolerate milk kefir just fine - the offending protein is digested by the kefir grains. ( I cannot handle dairy products otherwise.) It also leaves curd-like material I've started eating. I hated to throw it away and I was getting so much of it I decided to start eating it :cool: It's not bad! I get a new batch every day.

Highly endorse home-made kefir.

TigerLilea

Just don't eat too many of the grains at one time like I did otherwise your stomach will get very bloated. :sour:

Cort

Staff member
Is that the curd stuff? I actually have been experiencing some bloating. Thanks for the tip!

Folk

Should we eat the grains? I thought they were just for the fermentation...

I've been making home made kefir and it really really helped me with constipation, although I don't really know how much or when to drink it and it has made my stomach hurt sometimes.

Can anyone give tips on that subject? Is it better on empty stomach or after eating? How much should we drink daily more or less?

TigerLilea

Should we eat the grains? I thought they were just for the fermentation...

I've been making home made kefir and it really really helped me with constipation, although I don't really know how much or when to drink it and it has made my stomach hurt sometimes.

Can anyone give tips on that subject? Is it better on empty stomach or after eating? How much should we drink daily more or less?
You can eat the grains if you have too many, but I wouldn't recommend doing it too often or eating too many.

You can drink as much or as little as you want. I drink up to two cups per day. It doesn't matter when you have it or whether or not you do so with food or on an empty stomach.

Folk

You can eat the grains if you have too many, but I wouldn't recommend doing it too often or eating too many.

You can drink as much or as little as you want. I drink up to two cups per day. It doesn't matter when you have it or whether or not you do so with food or on an empty stomach.
2 cups a day!!!
Thats a lot, if I drank like one full cup I get nauseated.

I'm drinking like 250-300 ml a like 2-3 times a week.
And I kinda shift between constipation to diarrhea sometimes with just that... So I try to be careful.

Bertiedog

For a dessert every evening I make a delicious no sugar, no gluten trifle with my homemade Kefir which is based on organic whole milk.

Firstly I take some frozen organic berries from my freezer and defrost them and place them in the bottom of a small ramekin dish. Then I pour the kefir on top with psyllium seeds and also chia seeds, give it a quick stir and leave it for about 20 minutes. It all becomes quite solid. Before eating I add a tablespoon of double cream. (I am lactose intolerant but ok with this just once a day).

I am about to do this and cannot wait, it's really enjoyable and very healthy.

Bertiedog

For a dessert every evening I make a delicious no sugar, no gluten trifle with my homemade Kefir which is based on organic whole milk.

Firstly I take some frozen organic berries from my freezer and defrost them and place them in the bottom of a small ramekin dish. Then I pour the kefir on top with psyllium seeds and also chia seeds, give it a quick stir and leave it for about 20 minutes. It all becomes quite solid. Before eating I add a tablespoon of double cream. (I am lactose intolerant but ok with this just once a day).

I am about to do this and cannot wait, it's really enjoyable and very healthy.

Just wanted to update. I found out that I am casein intolerant (very bad SIBO and constipation alternating with loose bowels) so now I make the same delicious desert with coconut milk Kefir and a touch of organic soy milk Kefir. I make 2 different batches of Kefir one with KoKo milk plus coconut cream and one with organic Soya milk. Because I feel the coconut milk Kefir is healthier with calcium and vitamins added I try and have a lot more of this.

A bit off topic but in my tea I have 3/4 coconut milk with 1/4 soya milk and its really delicious.

Cort

Staff member
Just wanted to update. I found out that I am casein intolerant (very bad SIBO and constipation alternating with loose bowels) so now I make the same delicious desert with coconut milk Kefir and a touch of organic soy milk Kefir. I make 2 different batches of Kefir one with KoKo milk plus coconut cream and one with organic Soya milk. Because I feel the coconut milk Kefir is healthier with calcium and vitamins added I try and have a lot more of this.

A bit off topic but in my tea I have 3/4 coconut milk with 1/4 soya milk and its really delicious.
I didn't know about casein intolerance - thanks for passing that on. Glad you found a good substitute :)

Bertiedog

I didn't know about casein intolerance - thanks for passing that on. Glad you found a good substitute :)
Yes, I have been having goats milk in my 5 cups of tea daily for the past 18 years thinking it was more easily digested but I don't miss it a bit, the combo of coconut milk/organic soy is delicious. I really hadn't expected that.

Before going dairy-free I had tried lactose-free for a month but was still having bowel issues and pain in my gut, hence going onto casein-free and it has worked great. I can guarantee an easy bowel movement every morning provided I haven't taken any codeine which I know slows gut transit. It's interesting in that my mother always suffered with severe constipation and I wonder if this is a connection to the micro biome being passed from mother to child?

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources