Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Takes Hard Look at Probiotics

Cort

Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising
Staff member
A very nice overview of a probiotic study in ME/CFS that suggests a commercial probiotic called Align may reduce inflammation in ME/CFS.

lgimage_19738.jpg

Image courtesy pixabay
emerging in other fields.

My focus today is on a specific probiotic calledBifidobacterium infantis 35624. In a well-designed double blind study this probiotic demonstrated biochemically measurable anti-inflammatory effects for patients with chronic fatigue syndrome, ulcerative colitis and psoriasis. Its potential toxicity is low, and—wonder of wonders—one can buy it online and at most drug or health food stores.

Open Question: Should clinicians who treat ME/CFS offer patients the option of taking Align or, if available, another brand of B. infantis 35624?

Pro: As interventions go, adding a probiotic is relatively safe. Taking B. infantis 35624 might or might not help; but it’s not likely to cause major harm. If a significant number of people with ME/CFS report that they improve that could create support for a double blind study. For example, if people were to post their experience on ME/CFS chat rooms such as ProHealth.com, Phoenix Rising, or the ME-Global Chronicles e-mail newsletter. (To join contact: karenrssb1@hotmail.com)

Cons: One small double blind study without clinical end points isn’t much to go on. Also, please note that the dose used in this study (10 billion cfu) was ten times higher than the dose in one capsule of Align (one billion CFU). Ten billion cfu is fairly expensive. Currently Target sells forty two one billion cfu capsules of Align for about $37. So a 6 week trial of 10 billion cfu would cost about $370 or about $250 per month. Pricey, but perhaps worth it, if it makes a difference.

Does B infantis 35624 also improve ME/CFS clinical symptoms? We don’t know. That wasn’t studied. Maybe next time.

Check the whole article out here on Prohealth - http://www.prohealth.com/library/showarticle.cfm?libid=19738

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources