Fibromyalgia - It's Everywhere!

Cort

Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising
Staff member
The incidence of FMS, widespread body pain, fatigue, sleep disturbance, anxiety, morning stiffness, arthralgia was significantly greater among HBV patients relative to the control group.

Many diseases have been and are being assessed to determine if fibromyalgia is more common in them. I can't remember a single study when it wasn't. Mostly it's been - to my memory - diseases like arthritis and autoimmune disorders - but this study looked an an incidence of FM in an infection - hepatitis B. It concluded that significantly more people with hepatitis B had fibromyalgia than would be expected in healthy people. It seems like whatever disease - the rates of FM are increased; i.e. illness increases the chance one will get FM as well.

Why so many different disorders would result in an increased risk of FM I don't know. Perhaps it's stress? Perhaps FM is produced in a number of different ways. These studies certainly highlight the need to study FM more and more....

Int J Rheum Dis. 2015 Jul 1. doi: 10.1111/1756-185X.12593. [Epub ahead of print]Fibromyalgia incidence among patients with hepatitis B infection. Yazmalar L1, Deveci Ö2, Batmaz İ1, İpek D2, Çelepkolu T3, Alpaycı M4, Hattapoğlu E1, Akdeniz D1, Sarıyıldız MA1.

Abstract

AIM:

The purpose of our investigation was to evaluate the incidence of fibromyalgia syndrome (FMS) and identify FMS-related clinical symptoms in hepatitis B virus (HBV) patients.
METHODS:

One hundred and eighteen HBV surface antigen (HbsAg)-positive patients (40 with chronic active hepatitis B, 40 hepatitis B carriers and 38, all of whom had been antiretroviral-treated for at least 3 months) were included in this study. In addition, 60 age- and gender-matched HbsAg-negative healthy controls were included in the study.
RESULTS:

There was no significant difference in age, gender or body mass index (BMI) between the two groups (P > 0.05). Serum aspartate aminotransferase and alanine aminotransferase levels were significantly higher in HBV patients relative to the control group (P < 0.05). The incidence of FMS, widespread body pain, fatigue, sleep disturbance, anxiety, morning stiffness, arthralgia was significantly greater among HBV patients relative to the control group. Additionally, the mean tender point counts and the visual analog scale values were significantly higher among the HBV patients (P < 0.05).
CONCLUSIONS:

The results of the present study demonstrate that FMS incidence is greater among HBV patients relative to control subjects. However, there were no differences in FMS incidence among the subgroups of HBV diagnoses.

Folk

Perhaps also because a few years ago you would have to kidnap your doctor and torture him for a week to get a Fibromyalgia diagnosis.

Now you just gotta call him and say "Sup, Fibro me please" and he'll give you the diagnosis.

Gotta create an Iphone app "Fibromyalgia Yourself".

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources