Grave's Disease with me/cfs

MaryH.

Hello all,

I am new to this forum. I am a 65 year old woman who has had me/cfs for 27 years and now I also have Grave's disease. I have to decide to either have the surgery to take my thyroid out or have the radioactive therapy to kill the thyroid. I have been on the medication route for over 2 years and it didn't work. Not surprising as I am high risk and a challenging patient as my body rejects most pharmaceuticals. ANY LONG TIME ME/CFS PATIENTS who are highly sensitive to medications and have Grave's disease? WHAT DID YOU DO?

Meirav

An Interview With Dr. Raymond Peat who offers his thoughts about Thyroid Disease | TPAUK
Dr. Ray Peat: Graves’ disease and exophthalmos can occur with hypothyroidism or euthyroidism, as well as with hyperthyroidism. Pregnenolone regulates brain chemistry in a way that prevents excessive production of ACTH and cortisol, and it helps to stabilize mitochondrial metabolism. It apparently acts directly on a variety of tissues to reduce their retention of water. In the last several years, all of the people I have seen who had been diagnosed as “hyperthyroid” have actually been hypothyroid, and benefitted from increasing their thyroid function; some of these people had also been told that they had Graves’ disease.

Also

A good place to start is to measure your heart rate and temperature throughout the day.

The way they treat thyroid today, going by a one-time snapshot of 'free' hormones in the blood,
instead of paying attention to the total resolution of symptoms and restored metabolic rate,
means you are not fully treated
and the doctor creates new diagnoses when it's really still the thyroid
See Paul Robinson.

Hyperthyroidism is really poorly understood - it's often a hyperadrenergic state compensating for low thyroid function.

Doctors and the medical establishment are skilled at robbing individuals of their hope and nurturing learned helplessness.

A thermometer is a great tool to break free from that state.

Good luck!

Last edited:

MaryH.

Thank you so much for your reply! I have been dealing with thyroid issues since I was 28 years old... nine years before I fell ill with me/cfs. I have done the thermometer routine. I agree with what you have written. I am at the stage now that I was in E.R. Monday because I thought I had a heart attack. My 'engine' is really mad. I am doing all the research I can to see if I have any other options other than what Western medicine is offering. I have done a lot of the natural things to no avail. I may also mention that I was on Armour Thyroid for 34 years, HAD COVID IN WINTER OF 2019 and 2 months later ended up in E.R. with what I thought and the doctors also thought was a heart attack... it wasn't. They then said I have Grave's disease and I have been on this roller coaster for over 2 years now. I think it is crazy. I do not do well with medications so this has been pure torture.

Thank you again for your input Meirav. I will check out what you suggest.

Blessings to you,
Mary

Meirav

Infections are known to precipitate thyroid storms

Take your pick: thyroid storm / adrenergic storm / serotonin syndrome.
There's also neurostorming, but they seem to reserve this for someone with brain injury.

[ It's like diabetes type 4 - the same as type 2, except the person isn't fat.... etc]

I get these from heat stress.
Felix Gad Sulman called it a 'hidden/intermmitent' form of hyperthyroidism

From what I understand, women often have trouble converting T4 to T3, so that you'd want to add a little t3 to the Armour. If this wasn't done, it's possible you were made more hypothyroid by too much T4 (for you). You may know this already.

If you are at this stage of high adrenaline/cortisol/glucocorticoids,
it might be wise to proceed very slowly with the T3
See Thomas McGavack here:

I started with micro-doses and worked at them for a while to bring the stress hormones down

You might also need to work at making sure you have all your nutrition in place

I hope you find the work of Peat useful
I like the approach of getting what your body needs from food, and a few key substances.
Pregnenolone can be super-helpful in stabilizing the stress hormones and the stress response.
Best to find a good, pure form of it.

[ The above link though it says prostrate cancer - it's on fatigue, aging and recuperation. ]

Maybe a blessing in disguise to not respond well to medicines...
I've learned of horriric accounts of how they can harm, even from 'harmless substances'
See akathisia, etc

Don't let them take your thyroid!

Last edited:

GrammaLinda

Hello all,

I am new to this forum. I am a 65 year old woman who has had me/cfs for 27 years and now I also have Grave's disease. I have to decide to either have the surgery to take my thyroid out or have the radioactive therapy to kill the thyroid. I have been on the medication route for over 2 years and it didn't work. Not surprising as I am high risk and a challenging patient as my body rejects most pharmaceuticals. ANY LONG TIME ME/CFS PATIENTS who are highly sensitive to medications and have Grave's disease? WHAT DID YOU DO?
I had severely high thyroid numbers 45 yrs ago while pregnant. Could not control with meds and it was affecting my heart. I had radiation ablation which did not kill the whole thing. Being low has been so much easier to manage. Good luck

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources