ICD Code Bizarreness

Cort

Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising
Staff member
It took decades for fibromyalgia to get it's own ICD code - the codes doctors use to report what their patients have. Karen Richards asks why it took so long for FM to get one (answer - a lack of advocacy I imagine) and then highlights some of the truly bizarre ICD codes out there. Struck by turtle anyone? :woot:

1. Struck by turtle (W59.22XA)Bitten by turtle I can understand, but how does one get struck by one of the slowest-moving creatures on earth?
  2. Other contact with pig, initial encounter (W55.49XA) – This code follows codes for “Bitten by pig” and “Struck by pig.” What else can a pig do to you? Sit on you, perhaps?
  3. Sucked into jet engine, subsequent encounter (V97.33XD) – Are there really so many people getting sucked into a jet engine that it deserves its own diagnostic code? And having survived the ordeal once, are they really going to put themselves in a position where it could happen again?
Check more out here

Tammy7

Those are definitely bizarre alright! A friend of mine was telling me about some really bizarre laws of different counties/cities the other day. Who makes up this stuff!

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources