Road Trip! Me, River, Skye and the Big Yellow Van

Cort

Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising
Staff member
In Oct 2013 after splitting up with my girlfriend I started a road trip in the Western United States. I spent the winter at a house in Arizona but then thought I could do this - I could extend my road trip semi-permanently - and so I have. Since then I have been on the road - living out of first my Toyota pickup, then my 4-Runner and over the past couple of years my van.

Since then me and the dogs (and the van) have been all over the Western United States and up a bit into Canada. We go a lot of great places. It's not always easy - pulling up camp can be exhausting at times, the weather doesn't always cooperate, and finding WIFI can be a chore but we've seen a lot of beautiful sights.

Not many people with ME/CFS can do what we do - a lot of people are home bound or don't have the energy to get out - so I thought I would start sharing the journey.

First off meet the big yellow van - a 1-ton GMC Savana van with a 4.8L engine with about 120K - 17-18 mpg hwy; 13-14 mpg city. Note the solar panels on top. I've got electrical power where ever I go..

Van-Quartzite.jpg

Note the metal cabinets - all metal because of my chemical sensitivities

Van-side-doors---Flagstaff.jpg

Always a bit of a mess

Van-back-Flagstaff.jpg

Last edited:

Cort

Staff member
Here's River - Australian Cattle Dog - American Staffordshire Terrier mix - clocking in at about 60 lbs

River.jpg

And Skye - Australian Cattle dog - Rottweiler - Boxer - Chow Mix - clocking in at about 80 lbs. Both are about 7 years old and grew up together

Skye.jpg

jaminhealth

Thanks for the share...it certainly takes a outdoor individual to embark on such an adventure...ME: love the comforts of home. Give me a Holiday Inn vs a sleeping bag..I tried the camping many yrs ago and found out. Thanks again and be well. jam

Cort

Staff member
Thanks for the share...it certainly takes a outdoor individual to embark on such an adventure...ME: love the comforts of home. Give me a Holiday Inn vs a sleeping bag..I tried the camping many yrs ago and found out. Thanks again and be well. jam
ha ha....The camping life is not for everyone that's for sure. :)

Hope

Love that you’re sharing this@Cort. Have you found that you feel better or worse in different locations?

Liana Dicus

In Oct 2013 after splitting up with my girlfriend I started a road trip in the Western United States. I spent the winter at a house in Arizona but then thought I could do this - I could extend my road trip semi-permanently - and so I have. Since then I have been on the road - living out of first my Toyota pickup, then my 4-Runner and over the past couple of years my van.

Since then me and the dogs (and the van) have been all over the Western United States and up a bit into Canada. We go a lot of great places. It's not always easy - pulling up camp can be exhausting at times, the weather doesn't always cooperate, and finding WIFI can be a chore but we've seen a lot of beautiful sights.

Not many people with ME/CFS can do what we do - a lot of people are home bound or don't have the energy to get out - so I thought I would start sharing the journey.

First off meet the big yellow van - a 1-ton GMC Savana van with a 4.8L engine with about 120K - 17-18 mpg hwy; 13-14 mpg city. Note the solar panels on top. I've got electrical power where ever I go..

View attachment 2931

Note the metal cabinets - all metal because of my chemical sensitivities

View attachment 2932

Always a bit of a mess

View attachment 2933
You are a kindred spirit, & I love your van set up! A few years ago I refurbished a 12 ft 1957 Oasis "canned ham" trailer-a frustrating and fun project, it nearly killed me, but it had gold curtains, totally eco interior, solar 2-way marine fridge, & worked with my Toyota 4-Runner (400K miles & still kicking!). I thought I was going to have to live in it, but I eventually sold it. I jokingly say that my biggest fear is to end up in a trailer with 50 cats... Now I know that I could get toxoplasmosis, so that is definitely out. I'm a dog person anyway ; )

I just recently decided that I will travel and adventure again, "damn it". Thanks for the inspiration to keep living Life. Nature is Magical. If you (and your co-pilots) ever need a place to plug in & park (shower & get clean mountain water), & know about the amazing spots here in the eastern sierra, near Mammoth Lakes & Bishop, CA, you are invited anytime.
Sincerely, Liana. (www.SierraHealthAdvocate@gmail.)

Cort

Staff member
Love that you’re sharing this@Cort. Have you found that you feel better or worse in different locations?
In the Pacific Northwest I could feel some congestion in my chest I imagine because of mold and the really dense, dense vegetation.

Otherwise not at all. Kind of surprising....Can't say anyone place effects me more than the others.

Cort

Staff member
You are a kindred spirit, & I love your van set up! A few years ago I refurbished a 12 ft 1957 Oasis "canned ham" trailer-a frustrating and fun project, it nearly killed me, but it had gold curtains, totally eco interior, solar 2-way marine fridge, & worked with my Toyota 4-Runner (400K miles & still kicking!). I thought I was going to have to live in it, but I eventually sold it. I jokingly say that my biggest fear is to end up in a trailer with 50 cats... Now I know that I could get toxoplasmosis, so that is definitely out. I'm a dog person anyway ; )

I just recently decided that I will travel and adventure again, "damn it". Thanks for the inspiration to keep living Life. Nature is Magical. If you (and your co-pilots) ever need a place to plug in & park (shower & get clean mountain water), & know about the amazing spots here in the eastern sierra, near Mammoth Lakes & Bishop, CA, you are invited anytime.
Ha!

A 400K Toyota 4Runner!

I know someone with a newer Oasis - he loves it :) Refurbishing is a ton of work for sure.

Mammoth Lakes - Love Mammoth Lakes - great camping with great scenery nearby a really nice town with wifi readily available - the quadrafecta! I've actually probably boondocked more in Mammoth and Truckee than any other place in the summer. The Sierra Nevada are my favorite mountain range.

Flagstaff, Mammoth, Truckee, Aspen, Jackson Hole, Vail, Prescott - all great spots with camping near town...Top of my list.

I think this was from Mammoth last summer

Will look you up when I'm there next. Thanks :)

Mammoth-I-thnk.jpg

Cort

Staff member
The van was having starting problems. That was not good news after spending about $1400 on van maintenance over the last month.

Luckily though a boondocking buddy - Marshall - who's played a huge role in helping to find and upfit this van - just happened to be in the neighborhood. He diagnosed a loose battery - not a good thing with all the rocky roads this van travels on - because of a battery which didn't just right.

We wedged a piece of plastic under the battery and tightened it up and then Marshall hooked up my van to his and over about seven hours recharged the battery...saving me another trip to the dealer (whew!)

Flagstaff-Connections.jpg

Cort

Staff member

Whoa - 400K miles and still kicking! Now that's a car. I had a 4Runner and traded it in for a GMC extended van for more space but it was hard to say good-bye to that beast.

Cort

Staff member
From there we went to Flagstaff - Biggest ponderosa pine forest in the west - up at about 7000 feet. The pines hug the Colorado Plateau until it drops down big time..

Flag---II-Apr-2018.jpg

Flag-3-Apr-18.jpg

Last edited:

Cort

Staff member
River (and now Skye) really doesn't like flying things. Balloons are a particular concern. Thankfully he's been able to chase them away every time.

River-Saving-Us-From-Ballon.jpg

River assuming the frog-leg position in a wash

River-in-Wash-II.jpg

Cort

Staff member
it was off to Vegas to see my Dad and Uncle - who has dementia unfortunately. We camped outside of Vegas quite a bit in the severe but beautiful Mojave desert biome.

Vegas-Sunset-II.jpg

Vegas-V.jpg

Vegas-IV.jpg

Cort

Staff member
The headless Yucca - but the see the sprouts around the base - the plant is probably still alive. Talk about persistence!

Headless-Yucca.jpg

Cort

Staff member
Plants do what they have to to survive. They are tenacious. Not many nutrients in soil like this

Hard-Hard-Soil.jpg

Too hot for some trees to put out leaves - they use their green trunks and twigs to photosynthesize

Green-Trunk-II.jpg

Cort

Staff member
Camping in a sea of creosote. Somehow creosote (Larrera tridentata) desert plants got here from South America....

Sea-of-Creosote.jpg

A brief spring is here

Vegas-Aster.jpg

Octotillo.jpg

Mallow.jpg

Cort

Staff member
After a rather long and hot stay in Vegas it was up to canyon country in Southern Utah - home to more national parks and monuments per square mile than any other place in the first. First though up above St George to a nice campsite I've used quite a bit.

St-George-I.jpg

St-George-Sunset.jpg

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources