Resource Study details 'rotten egg' gas' role in autoimmune disease - hydrogen sulfide, a gas produced by the

JennyJenny

A new study has demonstrated how regulatory T cells can themselves be regulated, by an unexpected source: hydrogen sulfide, a gas produced by the body's muscle cells and one often associated with the smell of rotten eggs.

The immune system not only responds to infections and other potentially problematic abnormalities in the body, it also contains a built-in brake in the form of regulatory T cells, or Tregs. Tregs ensure that inflammatory responses don't get out of hand and do damage. In autoimmune diseases, sometimes these Treg cells don't act as they should.

Study details 'rotten egg' gas' role in autoimmune disease

Cort

Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising
Staff member
A new study has demonstrated how regulatory T cells can themselves be regulated, by an unexpected source: hydrogen sulfide, a gas produced by the body's muscle cells and one often associated with the smell of rotten eggs.

The immune system not only responds to infections and other potentially problematic abnormalities in the body, it also contains a built-in brake in the form of regulatory T cells, or Tregs. Tregs ensure that inflammatory responses don't get out of hand and do damage. In autoimmune diseases, sometimes these Treg cells don't act as they should.

Study details 'rotten egg' gas' role in autoimmune disease
Thanks so much for mentioning this :wacky:..I have got to get Marian Lemle - who originated the hydrogen sulfide theory of ME/CFS - to write on this.

JennyJenny

Thanks so much for mentioning this :wacky:..I have got to get Marian Lemle - who originated the hydrogen sulfide theory of ME/CFS - to write on this.
That would be great. I often see research and think... I think I remember "something" on this connected with ME/CFS but can't remember exactly what. So I post in other and then see if anyone knows anything.

Looking forward to finding out more.

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources