study on Non-Celiac Wheat Sensitivity (NCWS)

bobby

there's still a pretty big number of doctors who refuse to believe that non-celiac gluten sensitivity is actually a thing. Patients have known this for a long time: every time they eat gluten, they feel worse - every time they quit eating gluten, they feel better. pretty obvious, I'd say. this paper studied patients with non celiac wheat sensitivity before and after a wheat free diet.

note the term: 'wheat-challenged' :rolleyes:

http://www.nature.com/ctg/journal/v7/n7/full/ctg201635a.html

Predominance of Type 1 Innate Lymphoid Cells in the Rectal Mucosa of Patients With Non-Celiac Wheat Sensitivity: Reversal After a Wheat-Free Diet

OBJECTIVES: Non-celiac wheat sensitivity (NCWS) is defined as a reaction to ingested wheat after exclusion of celiac disease and wheat allergy. As its pathogenesis is incompletely understood, we evaluated the inflammatory response in the rectal mucosa of patients with well-defined NCWS.

METHODS: The prospective study included 22 patients with irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)-like clinical presentation, diagnosed with NCWS by double-blind placebo-controlled challenge. Eight IBS patients not improving on wheat-free diet were used as controls. Two weeks after oral challenge was performed with 80 grams of wheat daily, cells were isolated from rectal biopsies and thoroughly characterized by fluorescence-activated cell sorting analysis for intracellular cytokines and surface markers.

RESULTS: Rectal biopsies from wheat-challenged NCWS patients showed that a significant mucosal CD45+ infiltrate consisted of CD3+ and CD3− lymphocytes, with the latter spontaneously producing more interferon (IFN)-γ than IBS controls. About 30% of IFN-γ-producing CD45+ cells were T-bet+, CD56−, NKP44−, and CD117−, defining them as a type-1 innate lymphoid cells (ILC1). IFN-γ-producing ILC1 cells significantly decreased in 10 patients analyzed 2 weeks after they resumed a wheat-free diet.

CONCLUSIONS: These data indicate that, in patients with active NCWS, IFN-γ-producing ILC1 cells infiltrate rectal mucosa and support a role for this innate lymphoid cell population in the pathogenesis of NCWS.

Cort

Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising
Staff member
there's still a pretty big number of doctors who refuse to believe that non-celiac gluten sensitivity is actually a thing. Patients have known this for a long time: every time they eat gluten, they feel worse - every time they quit eating gluten, they feel better. pretty obvious, I'd say. this paper studied patients with non celiac wheat sensitivity before and after a wheat free diet.

note the term: 'wheat-challenged' :rolleyes:

http://www.nature.com/ctg/journal/v7/n7/full/ctg201635a.html
It take sooo long for many doctors to get anything new into their brains...

The proof is in the pudding....I get gassy, bloated and (more fatigued) when I eat wheat. I would be really surprised if I had Celiac disease....

Glad to see this study!

h3ro

Wheat free isn't exactly gluten free. They could be reacting to almost anything in the grains they avoid, not just gluten.

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources