Terri Wahls Says Eat Your Flavinoids!

Cort

Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising
Staff member
I actually can't handle grape juice - It's one of my all time system depressors for some reason but I love her basic diet; this is a diet to aspire to:

The Wahls Diet™ is 9 servings of vegetables and fruit: 3 servings of green leaves, 3 servings of sulfur rich, and 3 servings of bright colors. People with diabetes should rely on vegetables, but if you are not diabetic, you may enjoy berries as well. They are wonderful in smoothies, as an accent in salads, or as the finishing touch to your meal.

I just hand-picked some blackberries in an Oregon forest and added them to my vegie mix...they were delicious!

As we age, our brains shrink. Brain shrinkage occurs when brain cells die and are not replaced. Those with multiple sclerosis and other autoimmune conditions usually experience an accelerated rate of brain shrinkage, as do people who have high blood pressure, diabetes, heart disease, or are simply overweight.

There is more and more research that shows certain foods can help protect our brain cells from this premature dying. Antioxidant-rich vegetables and fruits are important brain-maintaining foods we should eat every day.

There is considerable research that flavonoids, a group of compounds found in plants, have a positive effect on the health of your brain cells. These compounds have been shown to protect brain cells that are grown in a laboratory. The article The Impact of fruit flavonoids on memory and cognition explains a bit more about how flavonoids help protect our brain cells. In another study, Concord grape juice supplements improve memory function in older adults with mild cognitive impairment, subjects with mild memory problems -- not diagnosable dementia -- were randomized and given either grape juice or purple sugar water. Neither the subject nor the researchers knew who was drinking real grape juice. After just 12 weeks, significant improvement in memory and verbal recall was observed in those receiving daily grape juice.

Although the precise mechanism of action by which flavonoids protect brain cells is not known, studies have shown diets rich in berries not only protect brain cells but also lower the risk of high blood pressure, heart disease and cancer.
So what are good sources of these flavonoids? In general, plants that are brightly colored have a good supply of helpful flavonoids; choose colorful fruits like berries, grapes, and citrus. Beets, both the tops and the roots, are also excellent sources of flavonoids and many antioxidant compounds. The greens have a lot of oxalic acid, which should be avoided by those with a history of kidney stones.

Food is our best defense against deterioration and illness. It's by far the simplest, cheapest, and most enjoyable way to keep our brains as healthy and vibrant as possible. As you know,[URL='https://uw235.infusionsoft.com/app/linkClick/20501/1fda25e28f9d4b4c/6919471/7127440b4e2e602f'

San Diego

Hand picked blackberries? That’s too much wonderful for one sentence.

I’m following the Wahl’s Paleo Plus and love it. As I’ve said, it’s one of the best things I’ve done for healing. I’ve even added in the organ meats, seaweeds, and supplements. It’s my temperament - if I do something I reallllly do it. lol

I’m currently upping the carbs to see where my limit lies, as the restrictions of the Paleo Plus leave me feeling deprived and bored (which inevitably ends with ice cream lol). If I could cook daily, I don’t think that’d be a problem.

The more I think about it, the more I’m convinced the Wahl’s diet is a very mast cell friendly/ low inflammation diet, and that’s why I’m doing better.

Cort

Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising
Staff member
I love seaweed. Actually I love what it does to me - it instantly steadies and perks me up - it's really weird.

Organ meats - yum yum :)

Gotta check out Paleo Plus

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources