The RCCX Hypothesis: Could It Help Explain Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS), Fibromyalgia and other

Cort

Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising
Staff member
It's not often that you come across a hypothesis which purports to possibly explain not just ME/CFS and FM but POTS, MCAS, chemical and sensory sensitivity, immunodeficiency, autoimmunity and autism (!)

Sharon Meglathery MD believes that problems in four key genes which effect the stress response, the immune system and sex hormones can produce a kind of biological overload which results in these diseases.

Check out the third in a series of (sometimes controversial) hypotheses produced mostly by health professionals who have these diseases:

https://www.healthrising.org/blog/2018/08/09/rccx-chronic-fatigue-fibromyalgia-eds-pots/

Merida

It is interesting that this gene complex is part of chromosome 6. Got my 23andMe results years back - looking at ancestry information. On chromosome 6, right adjacent to each other, are small genetic markers for Ashkenazi, East Asia, and sub-Sahara ancestry - though I am 98 percent plus Northern European. Wondered if this was some ‘ conserved region’ that had survival advantages. So perhaps the RCCX complex also has some important survival aspects. Hmmm.

Thanks again, Cort and Remy, for putting forth this incredible, intelligent quest for answers.

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources