Tightness in Chest

tandrsc

This is a new symptom on me - I've started waking up with a tight feeling in my chest and it feels like it's hard to breath.

It's not painful, just tight.

It tends to ease off during the day, but not always.

I've not noticed this symptom commonly mentioned before, but I may not have been looking. Does anyone else get this?

Who Me?

This is a new symptom on me - I've started waking up with a tight feeling in my chest and it feels like it's hard to breath.

I've not noticed this symptom commonly mentioned before, but I may not have been looking. Does anyone else get this?

Hi have that and have had it for a while now. It feels like it's compromising my breathing but my sats are ok. It also seems to add a level of fatigue.

One part of my problem was a mycoplasma infection. When I started to treat that some eased up. The rest I think is neuro because nothing I have ever taken has helped. Sometimes muscle relaxants.

It comes and goes so I don't know. I've found that some sleep stuff i take that works on Gaba helps. But that of course can be a problem.

tandrsc

Thanks - it's nice to know it's not just me. I'll keep an eye on it and try a few things, but I guess it's just another symptom I can add to the list.

Who Me?

Thanks - it's nice to know it's not just me. I'll keep an eye on it and try a few things, but I guess it's just another symptom I can add to the list.

I have been telling my NP about but it's one of those things we have to figure out. My latest one is feeling like someone is jamming their fingers into my boobs. Both sides, at the same time. What kind of doc do you go to for that?

I'm pretty sure alot of mine is neuro and I had luck with LDN helping it a huge amount. So you just have to experiment with things. I never thought I was going to suffocate, I knew it was my ME but it's annoying.

Croatoan

This would be commonly classified as a symptom of anxiety. I am not calling it anxiety, just a symptom associated with it. I have had the issue since I was in my 20's. My has been gone since I have been better for the last 18 months. I had a disabling anxiety disorder and OCD.

Are you taking any supplements?

Who Me?

Mine is not anxiety. It is absolutely something neuro and some mpn. And I respond to LDN.

Others have this. Just part of the disease weirdness

Croatoan

Mine is not anxiety. It is absolutely something neuro and some mpn. And I respond to LDN.

Others have this. Just part of the disease weirdness

As I said, I did not call it anxiety, I said it was a symptom of anxiety. Anxiety is something neurological as well. I say this so we can see the root of the issue.

The co-symptoms of high epinepherine are both chest tightness and anxiety. While you might be protected from the anxiety part, you might not be protected from the chest tightness part.

Opiods, like LDN, reduce anxiety as well.
http://www.ldnresearchtrust.org/sites/default/files/Dr Mark Shukhman.pdf

And also reduces the effects of epinepherine:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2549557

"just part of the disease weirdness" is minimizing an important symptom.

tandrsc

Who Me?

@tandrsc I have no clue. Didn't see that and can't really read it today. Let me know if you try it? I'll try to read that when I'm more functional

Who Me?

@Croatoan I don't understand the intricacies of neuro stuff (don't try to explain @Paw has for ages and I don't get it). I do know epinephrine is no an issue for me.

I am in no way minimizing this. I hate the use of the word anxiety in any context because someone who doesn't know us or the disease can read it and immediately think it's a psych disorder. That's my objection.

Who Me?

I also don't like the use of the word because on LC2015's post on PR about Dr. Bansal. A mod totally minimized her experience and chalked it up to her anxiety which she had mentioned previously. Her parents were going to put her in a psych ward so a little anxiety was warranted.

tandrsc

@Who Me? - the link is a post from me and the post after it is mine too describing what I've learnt. Here's the link again to save you scrolling up:
http://www.cortjohnson.org/forums/t...gus-nerve-stimulation-of-ear.2653/#post-10082

In the scheme of things it's a fairly cheap thing to try. You can buy a suitable TENS machine from amazon for under £30. Here are a couple of examples:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Accurate-Channel-Machine-Accurate-Powerful-electrodes/dp/B00KVOI74Q
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Med-Fit-Dual-Channel-Tens-Machine/dp/B0052607XW

And here are clips (you'll need 2 pairs):
http://www.amazon.co.uk/TENS-Ear-Clip-Electrodes-Machines/dp/B00OZMNWYA

Cort has blogged about this a couple of times, I can dig out the links if you don't feel up to finding them.

Croatoan

I also don't like the use of the word because on LC2015's post on PR about Dr. Bansal. A mod totally minimized her experience and chalked it up to her anxiety which she had mentioned previously. Her parents were going to put her in a psych ward so a little anxiety was warranted.

I agree with what you say, but anxiety IS a symptom. But it is JUST a symptom, it is NOT a disease. In here we know better so we should talk about it openly I feel. we should treat anxiety like we treat our pain or our fatigue. I am very open about my anxiety symptoms, i feel it is the only way to reduce the stigma.

But if someone has anxiety the best thing might be a psychiatric hospital (I note here that you called it by a derogatory name "psyche ward"). While I know they have no idea what is going on with mood disorders, they saved my life when I was ill.

so to be clear, I am not saying that anxiety or depression is the cause of CFS, I am saying they share the same underlying cause.

Now, saying that we should understand that being in an anxious state because of the environment can cause illness as well. It floats both ways, it is nature AND nurture. This is why when I was in a stressful environment I felt worse. either scents or noise, etc.

Croatoan

I have a very long list of supplements. They are mostly immune modulators and nerve tonics (all herbal) and have helped rid me of a number of symptoms. Nothing has changed recently to make me think something has brought this on.

I'm pretty sure mine isn't anxiety either.

@Who Me? - Do you think t-VNS might help you? - http://www.cortjohnson.org/forums/t...gus-nerve-stimulation-of-ear.2653/#post-10082

If you share your list of supplements I may be able to see something. There is a long history of supplements working for people for a while then having an opposite effect. I understand why this happens.

Also, your diet. Any change there?

Who Me?

@tandrsc way beyond my comprehension right now. I can barely focus. Thanks for the info. It's not a priority right now since I'm much better since treating my MPN.

Who Me?

@Croatoan I don't have the energy or brains to have a discussion about this. All I said was someone can come here and see the word anxiety and think psych out of context.

RuthAnn

Would you think it has something to do with the HPA axis?

"1. Hypothalamus-pituitary-adrenal axis
This functional axis controls stress reactions and regulates bodily processes including digestion, the immune system, mood and emotions, energy storage and expenditure. Dysfunctions of this axis can lead to mood disorders and functional illnesses, such as anxiety, post-traumatic stress disorder, chronic fatigue syndrome, irritable bowel syndrome."

Maybe one of the supplements is causing a build up of cortisol during the night. I looked at your list of supplements and although I don't know enough about herbs to say if one of them might be the cause, the only thing I can see that might do that is the cacao. But since you said it bothers your stomach maybe you don't even take it every day.

tandrsc

Would you think it has something to do with the HPA axis?

Maybe - but I don't really know enough to say.

Cocoa doesn't bother my stomach (far from it), I think it was Cort who said that. In fact, cocoa is probably the single most helpful one - it stops my crashes from being as bad or as random.

Who Me?

I frequently stop all my sups and it's never made a difference in anything.

I think this is one of those trial and error things and see if something helps.

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources