Vitamins & energy

Cilla

A little background: I was diagnosed with CFS/ME in 2005. I also have fibromyalgia, arthritis, Meniere's Disease, severe reoccurring depression, tension headaches, bi-polar, GERD, & IBS.

I take Provigil plus vitamins to boost my energy level:
Morning - B-12 1000 mcg, B complex & Provigil 50 mg
Afternoon - multivitamin & Co Q-10

The vitamin regiment is more recent. There was a time I was taking 200 mg Provigil, but after cancer surgery earlier this year, I could no longer tolerate the high level. 50 mg seems to work well.

So, my issue is all of the above is noticeably helpful in improving my energy, BUT by early evening, I feel manic (I am also bi-polar) & have severe headaches (not the typical tension type). And I feel like all this false energy is disguising my fatigue because I'm exhausted, but having a hard time being still. I don't want to let it get to a point where I crash & I feel like I'm heading in that direction. I'm also wondering now if maybe it's a false mania; that maybe it's caused by the vitamins.

The extra activities leading during the holidays has worn me out. I've worked hard to schedule my days to practice balance, but I'm also flexible - I listen to my body & when it says STOP, I do. I have a little part-time job that I work remotely & was off today & I've already contacted my employer to take tomorrow off so I can rest longer.

My GP has recommended the specific dosages of the vitamins. She's awesome, but like many physicians, she is still learning about CFS/ME.

My questions:
1. Does anyone experience headaches with CFS/ME? This daily headache is more recent, it starts in the afternoon/early evening & feels more like a migraine type.
2. How do you balance supplements? I need/want the energy, but don't want the mania.

Any shared experience is welcomed. Thank you!

Seanko

My questions:
1. Does anyone experience headaches with CFS/ME? This daily headache is more recent, it starts in the afternoon/early evening & feels more like a migraine type.

Hi @Cilla , I get headaches at particular times especially after waking up from a deep sleep after an afternoon nap. It is accompanied with grogginess. I usually just drink tea (for the caffeine) and take ibuprofen.

Both help constrict the blood vessels and reduce the headache feeling.

Seanko

Feeling wired...guessing that Provigil (modafinil) conributes to this feeling as would taking other stimulants such Ritalin or Adderall.

I don't respond well to stimulants therefore I limit my consumption of tea & avoid coffee to avoid messing up sleep pr that overwired feeling

Suspect that the B-vitamins aren't responsible :)

The recent work of Robert Naviaux and Flufe & Mella on metabolism in ME/CFS patients implies that other things could be more useful...

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources