Dr. Cheney's Recommendations For Surgery For People with ME/CFS

Dr. Cheney's Recommendations For Surgery For People with ME/CFS 2016-04-30

Long time ME/CFS physician Dr. Paul Cheney at his best - providing a to whom it may concern letter to anesthesiologists and doctors about how to avoid throwing ME/CFS patients into a relapse.

Click the download button on the upper right to get the document.

If you have ME/CFS/FM and are wondering if you should take precautions regarding surgery please stop wondering - you should! Please check the Mike Dessin's story of a mostly recovered ME/CFS patient who tumbled back into severe ME/CFS after minor surgery (with general anesthesia). I know of another person with moderate ME/CFS who suffered terribly after another minor surgery (with general anesthesia). She began to recover only after getting saline infusions. Here's Wayne's story:

I had a VERY bad experience with general anesthesia when I had arthroscopic knee surgery. I awoke feeling incredibly weak and nauseated to the point of having a very difficult time moving. I felt these effects for at least the next six months, and doubt that I ever fully recovered from the experience.

In the process of discussing this with my surgeon, he casually mentioned that perhaps we should have done a local anesthesia instead. He didn't tell me beforehand that this was an option! I wonder if a local anesthesia would be an option in your case.

I've come to believe most doctors and surgeons are far too casual about the use of general anesthesia, and the multiple dangers they can present--I think especially for pwME/CFS. I think they're also often way to eager to do procedures that aren't necessarily a high priority. I think it behooves us all to do whatever we can to inform ourselves of anything recommended by any health care practitioner.

Please also see Pat's story of a successful surgical outcome after she took precautions.
Author
Cort
Downloads
Views
First release
Last update
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

More resources from Cort

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work