The Rituximab and chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS) story began when two Norwegian oncologists, Drs. Fluge and Mella, found that Rituximab cured cancer AND ME/CFS in some of their patients. Two small and very successful trials later they embarked on a large placebo-controlled, Phase III clinical trial to determine if Rituximab - a drug often used in autoimmune diseases - was successful in ME/CFS.
By the end of 2017 it was clear that the large trial did not meet its endpoints and that Rituximab could not be recommended in blanket fashion for ME/CFS. The final results, however, are not in. It's possible that a significant subset of ME/CFS patients may still benefit from the drug.
- Norwegian Rituximab Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS) Trial Fails - the big placebo controlled Phase III trial failed but the Rituximab story in ME/CFS is not over (Nov 2017)
- The Biggest Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Treatment Trial Begins: Fluge/Mella On Rituximab (Jan 2015)
- Rituximab; Treatment Breakthrough (and Paradigm Shift) For CFS? (2012) – A deep dig into how Rituximab works, what ME/CFS experts think, the road ahead, etc.
- The Drug by Jorgen Jelstad – Norwegian journalist tells the Fluge/Mella Rituximab story in depth for the first time (June 2012)
- How Important is the Rituximab Study? – Jorgen Jelstad interviews researchers on the potential Rituximab presents (June 2012)
- A Drug for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome? Rituximab Promises Hope (2010) – Cort Johnson interview with Dr. Mella
- Rituximab Trial Shows Promise (Research Ist) – CAA reviews Rituximab findings
- Rituximab (Rituxian) for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome – What Rituximab does, what it does, how it’s used, etc.
- Broad Rituximab Overview from ME-Pedia
- Norwegian Breakthrough – Video with Drs. Fluge, Mella, Dr. Bell (English subtitles)
- Dr. Peterson Talks on Rituxumab (and other subjects) with Llewellyn King
- 2016, Extended B cell phenotype in patients with Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: A cross-sectional study (Full Text)
- 2015, Antibodies to β adrenergic and muscarinic cholinergic receptors in patients with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (Øystein Fluge, Olav Mella, Loebel M, Grabowski P, Heidecke H, Bauer S, Hanitsch LG, Wittke K, Meisel C, Reinke P, Volk HD, Carmen Scheibenbogen)
- 2015, B-Lymphocyte Depletion in Myalgic Encephalopathy/ Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. An Open-Label Phase II Study with Rituximab Maintenance Treatment (Øystein Fluge, Olav Mella, Risa K, Lunde S, Alme K, Rekeland IG, Sapkota D, Kristoffersen EK, Sørland K, Bruland O, Dahl O)
- 2013, Altered functional B cell subset populations in patients with chronic fatigue syndrome compared to healthy controls (Amolak Bansal, AS Bradley, B Ford)
- Rituximab-Fluge-Mella-PlosOne-2011 Study