Dan's research suggested to him that everything that had gone wrong with him was associated with the autonomic nervous system. He concluded that he needed a comprehensive approach to his illness. His recovery came in stages and included many treatments he had previously used without success.
- Source of the Story:
- Internet story
- Dan Neuffer
- Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
- Disease Course Over Time:
- Dan had had an intense year. He nearly lost his wife to childbirth, was working hard, had a side project going and was engaging in an intense exercise program. A chickenpox vaccination set everything off. By year four of his illness he had managed to somewhat steady his cycle of symptom flare ups and had basically resigned himself to having a lifelong condition. That gave him some peace but then his health got drastically worse.
- 6-10 years
- Functionality at it's Worst:
- Mostly homebound
- The main ones included ongoing extreme fatigue not alleviated by rest, bouts of fever and other flu-like symptoms, gastrointestinal symptoms as well as night sweats, cardiac symptoms, orthostatic hypotension, allodynia, excessive urination at night, salt cravings, and neurological symptoms such as brain fog. These symptoms changed over the years and his fibromyalgia pain became more prominent during the second half of his six-and-a-half-year illness.
- Treatments That Made A Big Difference:
- Lifestyle changes and meditation. He used mental techniques that took advantage of neural plasticity to “rewire his ANS system” to bring back normal functioning.
- Treatments That Helped:
- digestive enzymes, phosphatidylcholine, and L-Glutamine; dietary changes - removal of grain products (wheat, rye and barley in particular) and dairy products. B vitamins, CoQ10, and a range of trace minerals plus significant amounts of magnesium.
- Treatments That Had No Effect:
- Many including antibiotics, anti-Candida, anti-parasite, anti-inflammatories, anti-virals, acupuncture, supplements and others
- Present State of Health:
- Fully recovered - no restrictions at all
- Suggested Resources:
- Words of Advice:
- My message to all CFS/ME/Fibro sufferers is don’t lose hope—recovery is possible, even if not easy.
First he healed his gut with digestive enzymes, Phosphatidylcholine, and L-Glutamine, and most importantly his diet. He eliminated irritating foods such as grain products (wheat, rye and barley in particular) and dairy products.
Then added B vitamins, CoQ10, and a range of trace minerals and significant amounts of magnesium.
Then he used mental techniques including meditation and neural linguistic reprogramming to stop triggering his ANS and rewire his system.
Dan has written a book explaining how he got better and what he thinks is going on in ME/CFS. He also has a accounts of other recovery stories on his website: CFS Unraveled
Check out a video explaining his ideas here.
Hitting Rock Bottom Leads To Turnaround for Dan
Dan's hypothesis - The autonomic nervous system is the key