Proposed Criteria for Post-Treatment Lyme Disease Syndrome (PTLDS) Similar to ME/CFS/FM Criteria

Proposed Criteria for Post-Treatment Lyme Disease Syndrome (PTLDS) Similar to ME/CFS/FM Criteria

Resource Type
Report or Study
Notice the similarities to some ME/CFS and FM definitions. In fact, the similarities are so close that one of the exclusionary factors is a prior diagnosis of chronic fatigue syndrome or fibromyalgia.

The major difference is the need for a documented Lyme infection. Otherwise what is needed is increased fatigue, widespread pain (FM) and cognitive issues. PEM is not included but they may not be savvy to that symptom yet (it took several decades in ME/CFS) or it may not be that present.

Plus a score on the SF-36, which is reminiscent of the Empirical Definitions attempt to use questionnaires to assess symptoms.

This definition doesn't capture all the post-Lyme disease patients with problems by the way. A considerable number of people with lingering symptoms do not meet it.

Int J Infect Dis. 2013 Jun;17(6):e443-9. doi: 10.1016/j.ijid.2013.01.008. Epub 2013 Feb 23. Development of a foundation for a case definition of post-treatment Lyme disease syndrome.Aucott JN1, Crowder LA, Kortte KB.

Lyme-def-II.jpg
Author
Cort
Views
First release
Last update
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

More resources from Cort

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work