Renee Can't Exercise But Otherwise Has A Normal Life

Resource Type
Patient Story
Name
Renee
Diagnosis
  1. Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
Disease Course Over Time
In Dec. 2002, Renee, a 40 year old mother and former professional and avid walker under much stress begins to feel crabby and irritated. Then the weakness and fatigue sets in and gets worse! By Easter, she's too weak to engage in even moderate exercise. Her severe fatigue and nausea disrupts every aspect of her life.

Within a few weeks on valtrex her cognitive problems dissipate. After 9 months she begins Valcyte. By 2010 she is at 8/10 on an energy scale, doing most of her normal activities, but despite Lerner's warnings overdoes it on exercise and relapses. Back on her meds she gets back to7/10.

She is now very active but cannot exercise as she once did. She watches to make sure that she does not get too fatigued.
Type of Onset
gradual non-flu like
Approximate Date of Illness Began
2001-2005
Duration
6-10 years
Functionality at it's Worst
Somewhat homebound
Symptoms
Weakness, fatigue, nausea, irritability
Antiviral or Immune Modulators That Made a Difference for You
Valtrex
Positive Test Results
Active Epstein-Barr virus and cytomegalovirus infections
Other Treatments That Made a Big Difference
Valcyte
Present State of Health
  1. Leads near normal life but cannot exercise vigorously
Practitioner Associated With Recovery
Dr. Lerner
Words of Advice
Dr. Lerner has told me that I will never be exactly like I was because I have had a serious long-term illness. I have slowly come to terms with this although I still sometimes long for the boundless energy I took for granted for so many years.

I am tuned in to my body’s limitations now, and honor myself when I detect the beginning of fatigue. ....

Dr. Lerner’s work has made it possible for me to live a relatively normal life. I believe that making it to an Energy Index Level of 9 will be determined by how wise my energy expenditure choices are. And as I said before, anyone who doesn’t already know about my CFS would never guess I have any limitations. For most people, the way I live now is normal. My perspective is skewed because I was an extremely high energy person before.
Suggested Resources
Dr. Lerner
I am tuned in to my body’s limitations now, and honor myself when I detect the beginning of fatigue ... Dr. Lerner’s work has made it possible for me to live a relatively normal life.
Author
Cort
Views
First release
Last update
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

More resources from Cort

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY