16 Things People in Chronic Pain Want You to Know

Cort

Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising
Staff member
Nice compilation and nice visuals

I like

#3 - We are not making a mountain of a molehill
We are actually in more pain than you think we are in. Studies have shown that, generally speaking, people tend underestimate other people’s pain. This may be because chronic pain itself is difficult to imagine, especially if you have never experienced it firsthand. Even those who have experienced similar types of pain in the past have a difficult time remembering it until they experience it again.

mountainmolehillpain.jpeg

and

#10 - We are not ignoring you
Pain can be very distracting and mentally draining. We try our best to stay sharp and attentive but if we seem not to fully be there please don’t take it personally.

mindofchronicpain.jpeg

http://www.thepainrelieffoundation.com/patient-perspectives/want-you-to-know/

Nettie

I agree. I also have FM & more and receive over 100 pain injections every 4-6 weeks at Pain Clinic. Without them I wouldn't be able to move around a little but just because I don't show them to people they think I'm not in that much pain.

Jim Fields

Nice compilation and nice visuals

I like

#3 - We are not making a mountain of a molehill
We are actually in more pain than you think we are in. Studies have shown that, generally speaking, people tend underestimate other people’s pain. This may be because chronic pain itself is difficult to imagine, especially if you have never experienced it firsthand. Even those who have experienced similar types of pain in the past have a difficult time remembering it until they experience it again.

mountainmolehillpain.jpeg

and

#10 - We are not ignoring you
Pain can be very distracting and mentally draining. We try our best to stay sharp and attentive but if we seem not to fully be there please don’t take it personally.

mindofchronicpain.jpeg

http://www.thepainrelieffoundation.com/patient-perspectives/want-you-to-know/
I have been told by some friends that it is boring to listen to anyone complaining about their chronic pains no mater how disabling. Most of the time my personal doctor tells me it is a waste of time and gets angry when I try to discuss information I have discovered online. Very frustrating to go through this kind of a response over and over again especially when your life has been dictated by a personality of hard attack and get it done life style.

LunaNik

Yes to all of these! Also, please don't say, "Maybe you should get more exercise." Sweetie, I'd love to, but it's not physically possible. My mitochondria don't produce enough ATP, my muscles don't get sufficient oxygen, and my body overproduces lactic acid. I always feel like I just ran a marathon, then got hit by a truck, while a Sumo wrestler is jumping on my shoulders and gremlins are stabbing me with knives, all while I have the flu. I'm lucky I can get through my extremely simple yoga routine on the daily...and I generally sound like I'm being murdered while I'm doing it. :eek:

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources