30 years of ME, struggling to cope please help

Tammy7

hink it's perfectly valid that if you have high titers for EBV or CMV (two very common viruses), regardless of which titers it is, recent or old, you should have a cyclical access to valtrex. That's my opinion as a patient who has this and it stops the fevers for me. Not a cure but an improvement for some people
You mentioned cyclical access to Valtrex? Do you personally take it cyclically? What dosage do you take?

Nancy Hulen

Hi Michelle, I too have had this for a long time-40 years. I had multiple throat infections that wouldn’t go away. The doctors gave me a lot of antibiotics. Then I became really sick with something else -my friend said I was hallucinating. Different symptoms over the years were terrible stomach and back pain; horrendous pain in different parts of my body, mostly my head and neck; my left leg went dead and I couldn’t move it, bed bound and had to crawl up the stairs, severe fatigue, my eyes would water in the grocery store (people thought I was crying), syncope and others. I went to multiple doctors and alternative practitioners and the diagnoses were varied which included CFS, hashimotos, fibromyalgia, lupus, addisons, viral infections, Epstein Barr Virus. The pain was so bad and so continuous that oxycodein didn’t even touch the pain. After many years, I happened to read a book by Dr Wahls, MD about her MS and how she went from being in a wheelchair to now walking and being active. i was interested because her protocol also helped people with other diseases. The low carb protocols help inflammation. So, I decided this was my last hope, and I started. It took me 6 months before I thought I noticed a difference and was determined to continue. It was difficult but became easier the longer I did it. This has basically allowed me to manage this disease and given me back a decent life. i don’t usually have to take anything for pain, not even over the counter drugs. I’m not cured, but I don’t hate my life anymore.

TJ_Fitz

Hi Michelle, I too have had this for a long time-40 years. I had multiple throat infections that wouldn’t go away. The doctors gave me a lot of antibiotics. Then I became really sick with something else -my friend said I was hallucinating. Different symptoms over the years were terrible stomach and back pain; horrendous pain in different parts of my body, mostly my head and neck; my left leg went dead and I couldn’t move it, bed bound and had to crawl up the stairs, severe fatigue, my eyes would water in the grocery store (people thought I was crying), syncope and others. I went to multiple doctors and alternative practitioners and the diagnoses were varied which included CFS, hashimotos, fibromyalgia, lupus, addisons, viral infections, Epstein Barr Virus. The pain was so bad and so continuous that oxycodein didn’t even touch the pain. After many years, I happened to read a book by Dr Wahls, MD about her MS and how she went from being in a wheelchair to now walking and being active. i was interested because her protocol also helped people with other diseases. The low carb protocols help inflammation. So, I decided this was my last hope, and I started. It took me 6 months before I thought I noticed a difference and was determined to continue. It was difficult but became easier the longer I did it. This has basically allowed me to manage this disease and given me back a decent life. i don’t usually have to take anything for pain, not even over the counter drugs. I’m not cured, but I don’t hate my life anymore.
Yes, Dr. Wahls/Paleo is good for me, too, but I've recently learned that I do better if I do low-oxalate also.

Nancy Hulen

Michelle, Me again. I just wanted to let you know that I’ve been on the Wahls Protocol for at least 10 years. It took years to get to where I am today. It’s a change in eating habits that I have to continue with. Each year I felt better and better, but it took a very long time.

Merida

Michelle - I have dealt with this illness for 25 years, and led a large support, speaker based group at the local hospital for 13 years. My background is clinical diagnostic microbiology. Enough said - appreciate I am a careful observer, researcher. I had an article published in Fibromyalgia Frontiers in 2008 - " Pelvic and sacral Instability: A facet of Fibromyalgia." Viruses/Lyme disease are important considerations - but why are some affected and not others ? My son developed the pain/fatigue syndrome at age 5 after a well-documented EBV infection from pre-school. My Mom had this disorder. I developed it after a neck/pelvis injury in 1999 - age 49. Was disabled. Totally bed-ridden one year.

After years looking carefully, and several appointments with neurosurgeons ( wonderful !!! neurologists - no help), i discovered certain important things: I have a mild scoliosis, hypodevelopment of the sacrum, probable tethered spinal cord, Chiari 0 ( expert neurosurgeon diagnosis - I had a CINE MRI flow study ).
I have higher that normal intracranial pressure - may have Ehlers Danlos hypermobility. Also, loss of lordotic curve in the neck ( published info for FM/CFS - yes ).

Be aware that spinal fluid is pumped back to the brain by a minute, sophisticated movement of the sacrum and the occiput. Inhale - occiput moves outward, sacrum moves inward. Exhale - occiput moves inward, sacrum moves outward. This work was done by Sutherland, Upledger, years ago - brilliant traditional osteopaths. So, I did a lot of craniosacral work to align the pelvis, neck, occiput. Helpful, but still unstable due to the old injury. Also, pelvic floor physical therapy with expert. Acupuncture - always helpful. Gentle pool work - no real swimming, but walking in water and gently movements. It took 1 year - 3 times a week.

As far as meds - nothing can replace ( for me ) the helpful pain meds which are now prohibited by pain management groups and virtually all doctors. These medications help with pain, but also dampen the hypersympathetic state that I and many others are in. I used them for 20 years and had no liver or kidney problems. Very safe. Wellbutrin ( brand ??) was helpful for energy and regulating bowel function and sleep cycle. I started very low dose in the morning. First week was a little crazy, but after that - great - for about 5 years until it stopped working. ( generic not so good ????)

I can only share what I did - and that this may not be the correct path for you. But maybe there are some things here that are helpful. Always - working closely with a supportive doctor - one who appreciates that this is a real physical illness, not some emotional or psychological disaster.

Ironically, I had one tick bite in Virginia in 2010 -with a strange little rash. My infectious disease doc did a screening lab, which was negative, but was done too early in the disease. Now - 5 positive bands - CDC positive for Lyme. Crazy.

Sending my hugs and thoughts. DO NOT GIVE UP. Healing possibilities are always there - sometimes in the shadows of our consciousness. Sometimes in the help of a professional who understands this.

Not dead yet!

You mentioned cyclical access to Valtrex? Do you personally take it cyclically? What dosage do you take?

Yes, I take 1gram twice a day for 3 months on / and then take a break. The break may be 1 week or up to 3 months. Depends on how dormant the viruses remain. My body doesn't seem to keep the viruses dormant. With valtrex, the titers go down to normal and my daily fevers stop, so it' definitely doing something. It's not a total cure. I can still have brain fog, exhaustion and other issues. But the exhaustion is better if fever is not part of it. The body wastes tons of energy creating a fever if the fever isn't going to work anyway.

This isn't even against ordinary medical advice. Just the level of it may be high for some doctors to trust. "Post viral fatigue" actually mentions valtrex in cases where epstein barr is causing the fatigue. At least in the medical coding I read about 4 years ago.

The Pridgen protocol is Famciclovir + Celebrex I think? If you can get a doctor to swing that (perhaps by verifying you have arthritis), some people find it helpful. Not everyone though. And it's not a cure. But it can help.

Famciclovir and Valtrex are two different forms of the same drug. Famotadine is more powerful because of the way it's metabolized and absorbed. But the mechanism is the same. It tends to be more expensive and neither is welcomed by insurance so I go for the cheaper one and take more. There's another one, Zovirax, but it's very weak you'd have to take too many pills of it.

Last edited:

Not dead yet!

@Not dead yet! Where do you get the anti-virals?
They were prescribed by my doc. Luckily I had a doc who cared enough to prescribe it. No doc since has had an issue continuing it. So far. I'm always scared they will.

If they ever do, I suppose I can use Lysine, but it's not as effective. Better than nothing.

Baz493

Hi all, I am new to the community. I felt a kind of sigh as I read the conversations. I am a 30-year-old working woman who has been suffering from migraines for over five years. I have taken different kinds of medicines and found no use. Recently I consulted a chiropractor near me based on my colleague's recommendation. Now I am in chiropractic therapy. It is a kind of physical therapy. I felt so because I feel so relieved now. I could feel the result. I will share more once the treatment is done. Thank you. Have a nice day.
Hi Roland, I gradually experienced increasingly common migraines as I got older. Mine stopped when I realised that gluten was causing me to experience a wide range of health issues, including the migraines. I now know that a big part of this was due to gluten absorption of heavy metals, which you absorb from your diet. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/26160074/

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources