32 of 40 chronically ill have spirochetes in their blood

Mats Lindström

spiroketbild.png

Mats Lindström, relative

Titti Alvarsson, biomedical analyst, Dalapraktiken
Published February 14, 2016
Stockholm, SWEDEN

Abstract

PURPOSE: The purpose of this study is to investigate whether chronically ill people without known biomarkers (n=40), may have abnormalities in their blood compared to healthy people (n=5).

MATERIALS AND METHODS:
Venous blood is centrifuged to separate plasma and blood cells. The liquid in the area between the plasma and blood cells is sucked up with a pipette. Then it is centrifuged again and finally applied to a glass lens for microscope (dark field), 800 x magnification.

A diagnostic checklist
was used with 75 (77 in swedish) questions of symptoms. At least 20 positive answers are believed to increase an active Lyme infection, except in cases erythema migrans occurs (can often sole basis for diagnosis).

RESULTS:
In the group of chronically ill were spirochetes detected in the blood of 32 patients (80%) of the 40. None of the healthy subjects showed any abnormalities in the blood. Of the participants, 31 had diagnosis ME/CFS. Spirochetes were detected in the blood of 27 patients (87%).

CONCLUSION: Spirochetes are very common in some group of patients, especially with diagnosis ME/CFS.
Full text link (swedish)

One of the spirochetes that were discovered

Cort

Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising
Staff member
Here's the diagnostic checklist used to suggest to doctors that they should look for Lyme. If you answer yes 20 or more times the authors propose Lyme should be part of the workup

No one will have all symptoms but if many are present serious consideration must be given by any physician to Lyme as the possible culprit. The infection rate with Lyme in the tick population is exploding in North America and as the earth's temperature warms this trend is expected to continue.

Symptoms may come and go in varying degrees with fluctuation from one symptom to another. There may be a period of what feels like remission only to be followed by another onset of symptoms.

PRINT AND CIRCLE ALL YES ANSWERS (20 yes represents a serious potential and Lyme should be included in diagnostic workup)
Symptoms of Lyme Disease

The Tick Bite (fewer than 50% recall a tick bite or get/see the rash)

1. Rash at site of bite
2. Rashes on other parts of your body
3. Rash basically circular and spreading out (or generalized)
4. Raised rash, disappearing and recurring
Head, Face, Neck
5.Unexplained hair loss
6.Headache, mild or severe, Seizures
7.Pressure in Head, White Matter Lesions in Head (MRI)
8.Twitching of facial or other muscles
9.Facial paralysis (Bell's Palsy)
10.Tingling of nose, (tip of) tongue, cheek or facial flushing
11.Stiff or painful neck
12.Jaw pain or stiffness
13.Dental problems (unexplained)
14.Sore throat, clearing throat a lot, phlegm (flem), hoarseness, runny nose

Eyes/Vision

15.Double or blurry vision
16.Increased floating spots
17.Pain in eyes, or swelling around eyes
18.Oversensitivity to light
19.Flashing lights/Peripheral waves/phantom images in corner of eyes

Ears/Hearing

20.Decreased hearing in one or both ears, plugged ears
21.Buzzing in ears
22.Pain in ears, oversensitivity to sounds
23.Ringing in one or both ears

Digestive and Excretory Systems

24.Diarrhea
25.Constipation
26.Irritable bladder (trouble starting, stopping) or Interstitial cystitis
27.Upset stomach (nausea or pain) or GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease)

Musculoskeletal System

28.Bone pain, joint pain or swelling, carpal tunnel syndrome
29.Stiffness of joints, back, neck, tennis elbow
30.Muscle pain or cramps, (Fibromyalgia)

Respiratory and Circulatory Systems

31.Shortness of breath, can't get full/satisfying breath, cough
32.Chest pain or rib soreness
33.Night sweats or unexplained chills
34.Heart palpitations or extra beats
35.Endocarditis, Heart blockage

Neurologic System

36.Tremors or unexplained shaking
37.Burning or stabbing sensations in the body
38.Fatigue, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Weakness, peripheral neuropathy or partial paralysis
39.Pressure in the head
40.Numbness in body, tingling, pinpricks
41.Poor balance, dizziness, difficulty walking
42.Increased motion sickness
43.Lightheadedness, wooziness

Psychological well-being

44.Mood swings, irritability, bi-polar disorder
45.Unusual depression
46.Disorientation (getting or feeling lost)
47.Feeling as if you are losing your mind
48.Over-emotional reactions, crying easily
49.Too much sleep, or insomnia
50.Difficulty falling or staying asleep
51.Narcolepsy, sleep apnea
52.Panic attacks, anxiety

Mental Capability

53.Memory loss (short or long term)
54.Confusion, difficulty in thinking
55.Difficulty with concentration or reading
56.Going to the wrong place
57.Speech difficulty (slurred or slow)
58.Stammering speech
59.Forgetting how to perform simple tasks

Reproduction and Sexuality

60.Loss of sex drive
61.Sexual dysfunction
62.Unexplained menstrual pain, irregularity
63.Unexplained breast pain, discharge
64.Testicular or pelvic pain

General Well-being

65.Unexplained weight gain, loss
66.Extreme fatigue
67.Swollen glands/lymph nodes
68.Unexplained fevers (high or low grade)
69.Continual infections (sinus, kidney, eye, etc.)
70.Symptoms seem to change, come and go
71.Pain migrates (moves) to different body parts
72.Early on, experienced a "flu-like" illness, after which you have not since felt well.
73.Low body temperature
74.Allergies/Chemical sensitivities
75.Increased effect from alcohol and possible worse hangover

Print and take this list with you to your doctor's visit. Identify as many symptoms that apply to you and make sure they are real and related to your illness. Be prepared to explain each one to your doctor so he/she knows to what extent you are affected. Keep a journal, daily if possible, of your symptoms and record all pertinent information.

Issie

There is also Protomyzoa Rehumatica. Another biofilm forming organism. You can have both. I do. These can never be completely gotten rid of. It's just trying to tame them and get immune system to attack them and eliminate as many as possible. There really is no known, complete "cure" if it's chronic.

I see Dr Stephen Fry and we have recently discovered I also have a type of fungus /mold that has gotten in my organs. A thyroid biopsy has found it and my MMP9 markers are very high. My working on eliminating this is starting to show some results. They said my eyes would be the first thing to get better, and they have. Both my power and astigmatism are better. Dr Fry started checking some other of his patients that are having a hard time with getting desired results from protozoa treatment, they too have this type fungus.

Issie

Issie

Yes, it is the Glomus species, of which he said can cause glomus tumors. There is another doctor he is working with, in another state, that by mistake, found that using antifungals is helping with this. The med she is using is Lamisil along with Doxycycoline. Doxycycoline has been shown in numerous articles not only to help with protozoa, but also to help the autoimmune system. I was on Doxycycoline for 3 years. But never antifungals.

However, I tried going back on Doxy and my gut just won't tolerate it right now. I'm doing herbals, and essential oils along with cleanses and binders. Making progress.

Protozoa testing 001.jpg

This is a picture of the biofilm and pathogens within. The cloud looking thing is the biofilm. It houses the pathogens that are within. Sort of forms a shield around them and evades the immune system detection. Becomes a community and houses virus, bacteria and protozoa can all live within the biofilm. You can see how this could affect vein function and blood flow.
Issie

Last edited:

Strike me lucky

Can you answer a lyme question i have never heard of answered, do people with lyme have low nk function. I know they have low nk cd57 numbers but never heard anyone say low nk function not numbers in lyme. Only heard of low nk function in cfsme. But if a majority of cfsme have lyme, one would think lyme would also show low nk function??

RuthAnn

Yes, it is the Glomus species, of which he said can cause glomus tumors. There is another doctor he is working with, in another state, that by mistake, found that using antifungals is helping with this. The med she is using is Lamisil along with Doxycycoline. Doxycycoline has been shown in numerous articles not only to help with protozoa, but also to help the autoimmune system. I was on Doxycycoline for 3 years. But never antifungals.

However, I tried going back on Doxy and my gut just won't tolerate it right now. I'm doing herbals, and essential oils along with cleanses and binders. Making progress.

Issie

I'm glad to hear you are making progress.

I have tried working on pathogen issues from a lot of angles....bacterial, viral....but just recently started focusing on the fungal angle. It's funny, actually, because way back when I first came down with "chronic fatigue" (sorry, that's what it was called back then), I focused on candida for a while. Nothing seemed to work, various diets, kefir, yogurt, Now I'm back where I started, lol.

What herbs are you taking?

I have never heard of the Glomus species, so I don't know if what I am doing would help with that, but you might find this article helpful if that particular fungus has similar characteristics to candida albicans.

http://www.mold-help.org/content/view/411/

The biotin seems to be the secret with candida, maybe it would be totally ineffective with other species. I am also going to try to be consistent with pau d'arco.

I am going to take proteolytic enzymes, too, since I think fungi tend to form granulomas. What essential oils are you using? Maybe there are essential oils that would break down granulomas, too??

RuthAnn

There's more than one reason that fungus are difficult to deal with, but here's one of them.

I'm not positive on this, but this might be where the endogenous oxalates are coming from.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC126751/

The third, the opportunistic fungal pathogen Candida albicans, survives ingestion by changing rapidly from a yeast to a filamentous morphology, lysing the macrophage from the inside out. Once free, C. albicans cells are able to disseminate through the body.

Life and Death in a Macrophage: Role of the Glyoxylate Cycle in Virulence

Issie

I had Cort add my picture of my biofilm with Protomyzoa Rehumatica and other pathogens in it. See above.

Thanks Cort.

Issie

Issie

There's more than one reason that fungus are difficult to deal with, but here's one of them.

I'm not positive on this, but this might be where the endogenous oxalates are coming from.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC126751/

The third, the opportunistic fungal pathogen Candida albicans, survives ingestion by changing rapidly from a yeast to a filamentous morphology, lysing the macrophage from the inside out. Once free, C. albicans cells are able to disseminate through the body.

Life and Death in a Macrophage: Role of the Glyoxylate Cycle in Virulence

Interesting article. My doc really feels it is very important to keep as strict as possible to a low fat, whole food vegan lifestyle. Much research has shown that somehow fats (particularly animal fats) play a role in proliferation of certain organisms. It is also known that magnesium, calcium and iron play a part in proliferation of these protozoa. They use them to survive. There has to be a balance. I've found with me, having been very strict in adhering to this and not supplementing these things - I appear to be showing signs of low magnesium and high calcium. I've always had issues with calcium metabolism. One of my best meds for both POTS and MCAS is/was GastroCrom. It is a mild calcium channel blocker as well as a mast cell stabilizer. (I'm off all my meds for the last several weeks now. We will see how it goes.)

Issie

Issie

I'm glad to hear you are making progress.

I have tried working on pathogen issues from a lot of angles....bacterial, viral....but just recently started focusing on the fungal angle. It's funny, actually, because way back when I first came down with "chronic fatigue" (sorry, that's what it was called back then), I focused on candida for a while. Nothing seemed to work, various diets, kefir, yogurt, Now I'm back where I started, lol.

What herbs are you taking?

I have never heard of the Glomus species, so I don't know if what I am doing would help with that, but you might find this article helpful if that particular fungus has similar characteristics to candida albicans.

http://www.mold-help.org/content/view/411/

The biotin seems to be the secret with candida, maybe it would be totally ineffective with other species. I am also going to try to be consistent with pau d'arco.

I am going to take proteolytic enzymes, too, since I think fungi tend to form granulomas. What essential oils are you using? Maybe there are essential oils that would break down granulomas, too??
I'm using alot of products from Supreme Nutrition. Rotating them. They also have 2 essential oils that are biofilm busters. Very potent, go slow.

I'm doing cleanses too. Using D Earth and Takesumi charcoal as binders and to aid with cleanses. Drinking L-Malic acid - helps with inflammation and pain. Using Turmeric and/or Curcurmin. Some other things, but that's the main things.

Issie

Issie

Here's a scary thing to think about....they know that Lyme can be passed to an unborn child, they think it can be passed with sex. Recent studies have shown the Zika virus can be passed by a male to a female and affect her unborn child. They think Protomyzoa Rehumatica can be passed with sex and to unborn child.

But.......if the immune system is working properly, there may be no effect. Dr Fry has found it in those who seem to show no health issues. It's us who's immune system is compromised that have the issues.

Issie

Issie

New light on Protomyxzoa vs mold. Doc now thinks it is mold. Having now been officially DXD with CIRS and MARCONS. Makes sense to me. The newest thing I've discovered is my house is clean. Yet my markers appear that I'm in active exposure. Only conclusion I can come to - it has to be internal with me. He feels we have faulty genetics and are missing a protein. Having found the mold in my thyroid, we know it's internal and in organs. Now to get my immune system to recognize it and destroy it. I'm doing Shoemaker/Klinghardt and my docs twist on things. We are also treating Lyme and Babesia. I'm starting to feel like there is a slight flicker of light ahead. Doc is working on a way for us to get this protein.

Issie

Farmgirl

New light on Protomyxzoa vs mold. Doc now thinks it is mold. Having now been officially DXD with CIRS and MARCONS. Makes sense to me. The newest thing I've discovered is my house is clean. Yet my markers appear that I'm in active exposure. Only conclusion I can come to - it has to be internal with me. He feels we have faulty genetics and are missing a protein. Having found the mold in my thyroid, we know it's internal and in organs. Now to get my immune system to recognize it and destroy it. I'm doing Shoemaker/Klinghardt and my docs twist on things. We are also treating Lyme and Babesia. I'm starting to feel like there is a slight flicker of light ahead. Doc is working on a way for us to get this protein.

Issie
@Issie Wow, that is great! :-D We need all the hope we can get. I hope you get the help you need in that specialized area. Do you know if you have any MTHFR defects? I do and it really affects how my body deals with chemicals and things such as mold.

I am also being tested for Lyme soon and am on a "challenge" of antibiotics to draw out the Lyme first before testing is done. I am anxious to hear how your treatment for Lyme is going, Issie! :-D

Farmgirl

Can you answer a lyme question i have never heard of answered, do people with lyme have low nk function. I know they have low nk cd57 numbers but never heard anyone say low nk function not numbers in lyme. Only heard of low nk function in cfsme. But if a majority of cfsme have lyme, one would think lyme would also show low nk function??

@Strike me lucky
Hi. :-D I just got 27 tubes of blood taken from me ...ordered by my LLD and NK cell was not included , but CD 57, C3,4 and a complete immune panel were. Also, on Simmaron, there is a very interesting article about Lyme Disease and ME/CFS...comparing the two.

http://simmaronresearch.com/2016/08...nic-fatigue-syndrome-mecfs-are-they-the-same/

To be honest, I am starting to get so confused about all the different markers and such! My brain function is not super right now. I just saw a Lyme website that says you must exercise and that will really help you recover. Big no no for me...impossible!
There is no way on earth I can do anything but a few stretches.

Don't mean to pry, but you have Lyme's or do you think you have it?
G'day. :-D

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources