A Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/POTS Patient Responds to a Multiple Sclerosis Drug - What Does It Mean?

Rachel Riggs

@tatt I only know what my allergist told me! He said urticaria could be a one time thing or a warning of something worse - such as anaphylaxix - to come. That's why he decided to test me, and it turns out I am quite allergic. I am in a fragile enough state from CFS that anaphylaxis could kill me. So I simply can't risk it.

Rebecca Divita

Since being officially diagnosed with CFS in July (2015) at the Mayo Clinic, I now see Katie, one of Dr. Montoya's PA's at Stanford. I've recently started on LDN and will be starting Valtrex in 6 weeks after I'm stable on LDN. I'd love to hear of any positive effects from those treatments if anyone else is following that same protocol!!
Hi @Rachel Riggs!
I see Katie as well! :) So far I can only handle 2mg of LDN due to sleep issues and a loss of appetite, but I am going to try and increase to 3mg again next week. I've been on it for 8 weeks and the most noticeable effect is my mood is better. I also started the Valtrex with Dr. Montoya in Dec. I'm going to read through all these comments but would love to hear your results as well! I didn't expect a quick miracle but so far I am optimistic and have seen some baby step improvements with stamina. I think it will be a slow, steady process.

:) Rebecca

Last edited:

Cort

Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising
Staff member
Rebecca - darn you look healthy! (Don't you just hate that (lol)). Good luck with Dr. Montoya and please let us know how it goes.

Hi @Rachel Riggs!
I see Katie as well! :) So far I can only handle 2mg of LDN due to sleep issues and a loss of appetite, but I am going to try and increase to 3mg again next week. I've been on it for 8 weeks and the most noticeable effect is my mood is better. I also started the Valtrex with Dr. Montoya in Dec. I'm going to read through all these comments but would love to hear your results as well! I didn't expect a quick miracle but so far I am optimistic and have seen some baby step improvements with stamina. I think it will be a slow, steady process.

Rachel Riggs

Hi @Rachel Riggs!

@Rebecca Divita Hi Rebecca! Are you taking your LDN in the morning? I have previously struggled with insomnia and have slowly gotten it under control with a strict regimen, so was advised by Katie to take it in the morning. Also, I was titrating up slowly to be extra cautious but Katie instructed me during a phone chat to speed it up. She said that few of her patients feel better until they get to 3mg and much more so when they get to 4mg. I just bumped up to 4.5 yesterday. I am getting my LDN from University Compounding Pharmacy and have them using avicel as a filler to avoid lactose.

Prashanti

I apologize for possibly entering in the wrong thread, but I'm not sure how to enter questions, comments....anyway earlier in this discussion blood sugar was mentioned. I also have blood sugar issues and wonder what role this plays. Reading a mystery novel this week I came across this info and wondered if there is a piece to our health puzzles in this bit of information from the novel. Speaking about a stun gun it said that it scrambles the nervous system so that the muscles don't work and that the blood sugar is converted to lactic acid which depletes the person's energy.
I know there have been articles about lactic acid levels in CFS...and blood sugar issues.
I'm just posting a question....Does anyone know about the relationship between blood sugar, lactic acid, and cellular energy? Could there be something important there?
Also earlier someone mentioned putting the @ symbol before your name when posting so that you get replies...I don't understand that...sorry.

Prashanti

I also am being seen at the Stanford Clinic. I'm taking LDN ....very helpful....and Valtrex. That has been difficult as it has caused digestive issues....so I think they are going to give me something else.

Cort

Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising
Staff member
I apologize for possibly entering in the wrong thread, but I'm not sure how to enter questions, comments....anyway earlier in this discussion blood sugar was mentioned. I also have blood sugar issues and wonder what role this plays. Reading a mystery novel this week I came across this info and wondered if there is a piece to our health puzzles in this bit of information from the novel. Speaking about a stun gun it said that it scrambles the nervous system so that the muscles don't work and that the blood sugar is converted to lactic acid which depletes the person's energy.
I know there have been articles about lactic acid levels in CFS...and blood sugar issues.
I'm just posting a question....Does anyone know about the relationship between blood sugar, lactic acid, and cellular energy? Could there be something important there?
Also earlier someone mentioned putting the @ symbol before your name when posting so that you get replies...I don't understand that...sorry.

I don't know about lactic acid and blood sugar (altho I assume that it's all tied together) but I do know that they've recently found evidence of lactate problems in migraine....which, of course, is common in ME/CFS and FM. I will be looking more into that.

KweenPita

Interesting. They do say that POTS like ME/CFS is very variable. There are different kinds and it can be caused in quite a few ways. There is also the autoimmune subset of POTS patients where antibodies are attacking the receptors that control heart rate if I remember correctly.
Yes, my son wants me to have my heart tested as I have had two low BP POTS attacks while asleep, yes asleep. One, I awoke and tried to get out of bed to go to the bathroom and couldn't move. I refused ER, I wasn't aware it was taking my husband 3 hours to get my BP up. As I was in and out. Finally I suggested Sudafed and BP came up. Next was two nights ago woke up in nightmare I couldn't stop having, couldn't make myself wake, then when I did, I couldn't stop seeing nightmare. Again, took Gatorade and Sudafed to bring me out. I don't got to ER because by the time we get their, they presume it's dehydration treat with Saline, a bag or two, run tests, tilt me on a table. Referring to Cardiologist, who each time says I have a lovely heart. Son says I need to wear a vest for a month or so so they can catch one on cardio vest and find out what the he'll is going on. They are scared, I will go low BP and won't wake up. Start fixing one thing and feeling better, and another creeps up, how do you do this lying down asleep?

Carole

@GG Yes - I'll tell you what I know, which is simply that I only had one or two lesions but they disappeared. Other things including migraines, I'm told, can cause lesions. They always want to repeat MRI's annually to check for disease progression and when they did another MRI, it was gone! And that same pattern of having a lesion that later disappeared was repeated the following year - happened again.

Carole

DID YOU HAVE THE SAME PERSON DO YOUR MRI? DID THEY USE A DYE ONE TIME AND NOT THE NEXT? DID THE SAME NEUROLOGIST READ THEM?
I AM TOTOALLY CONFUSED AS I HAVE WHITE MATTER DISEASE WITH INFARCS AND THEY WERE SAYING IT MAY NEVER CAHNGE. THESE ARE LESIONS. HAD 2 MRI'S WITHOUT DYE AND THEY HAD NOT CHANGED IN A 3 YEAR PERIOD. NOW I HAVE STARTED HAVING hypoglycemia ISSUES. WHO IN SOUTH SE AREA TREATS THIS???

San Diego

@Rachel Riggs Forgive my complete and total ignorance of MS and the drugs used to treat it, but I’m still stuck on the Copaxone working.

Is there a reason your doctors aren’t trying other MS drugs?
Is it because your diagnosis changed and insurance/doctors will no longer consider MS drugs?
Or is it because the drugs all have similar allergy profiles?

I feel like I might have missed this part of the story. Thanks!

tatt

@tatt I only know what my allergist told me! He said urticaria could be a one time thing or a warning of something worse - such as anaphylaxix - to come. That's why he decided to test me, and it turns out I am quite allergic. I am in a fragile enough state from CFS that anaphylaxis could kill me. So I simply can't risk it.

We've seen more than one person who is supposed to know about allergy. In the uk there are very few who actually do. As a result I always check out what the research actually says. e.g http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26783356

Urticaria is not usuallly a "one time thing" but you probably wont suffer anaphylaxis and if you do and it's promptly treated with adrenaline you are very unlikely to die. There is no allergy test that will reliably predict the severity of reaction, most allergy tests just tell you the likelihood of some type of reaction next time. Although tests are being developed that may help with severity of reaction they arent reliable yet. So your test just tells you that you probably will have some sort of reaction and most people who have only had a skin reaction will continue to have skin reactions. Anaphylactic reactions are rare. I have a child who is anaphylactic to some foods, they carry adrenaline routinely and have had some scary reactions. Drug reactions often happen even faster and so are more serious but they still rarely kill if treated promptly. I'd try other treatments first but if they dont work consider a different allergist.

Who Me?

@Rachel Riggs It's easy for people here to tell you your doc is wrong or go see someone else or anaphylaxis is rare and don't worry. They are not you, don't know your complete medical history and are not as fragile as you said you are. I'm not sure where that falls in giving medical advice but I suspect it's pretty close to the line.

Do what you are comfortable with. Listen to yourself and your doctor.

San Diego

@Rachel Riggs I’ve had anaphylaxis 5 times. It has been my experience that along with the typical anaphylaxis symptoms of shortness of breathe, closing of the airway, etc, I also become very confused, anxious, and unable to make good decisions for myself. Were it not for the help of family and in one situation a stranger, I might not be here.

It’s nothing to mess with.

That said, I sure do hope you find your answer and are somehow able to find another treatment, or a way to desensitize, that will spring you back to life .... again!!!

tatt

@WhoMe No I don't know more of the medical history that has been spelt out here - but I do know a lot about allergy and allergists. Therefore I can recognise when you may get different advice from another allergist. In the UK some children with anaphylactic reactions to nut have been successfully treated and are now able to eat them. The "early adopters" took risks, some were subjected to online abuse - but they are the ones who can now live a more normal life, whie their abusers still suffer. And I repeat - some of the children had suffered anaphylactic reactions, not merely skin problems. There's a very big difference between a skin reaction and anaphylaxis.

If Rachel wants another option she now knows that she may be able to have one. If she doesnt want to take risks that is her choice, it's not a reason for withholding information.

Who Me?

@tatt You need to do the @ with the correct user ID correctly for me to get an alert. It will be bolded if you do it correctly. I happened to pop in or I never would have seen this.

I'm not arguing about what you said or how accurate it was. I read it that you were advising her to leave her doc, or ignore what they say, that docs are idiots, I can't remember what else now since it was more than 1/2 a minute ago and given what she did say, specifically that she was very fragile, I felt it was close to the line of offering medical advice and may confuse her even more.

My supporting @Rachel Riggs as she tries to navigate this.

Rachel Riggs

@Rachel Riggs Forgive my complete and total ignorance of MS and the drugs used to treat it, but I’m still stuck on the Copaxone working.

Is there a reason your doctors aren’t trying other MS drugs?
Is it because your diagnosis changed and insurance/doctors will no longer consider MS drugs?
Or is it because the drugs all have similar allergy profiles?

I feel like I might have missed this part of the story. Thanks!
@San Diego I am not trying other MS drugs because I don't have MS primarily - but also because my doc at Stanford says if I want them to treat me, I need to adhere to their protocol. So for now - I am trying LDN + Valtrex.

Rachel Riggs

@Rachel Riggs I’ve had anaphylaxis 5 times. It has been my experience that along with the typical anaphylaxis symptoms of shortness of breathe, closing of the airway, etc, I also become very confused, anxious, and unable to make good decisions for myself. Were it not for the help of family and in one situation a stranger, I might not be here.

It’s nothing to mess with.

That said, I sure do hope you find your answer and are somehow able to find another treatment, or a way to desensitize, that will spring you back to life .... again!!!
@San Diego no - it's nothing to mess with - I agree!

dejurgen

@Cort: First: I'm new here. I've already read many of your interesting articles and found them and the comments upon them often quite valuable. Thanks for your dedication. Now I stumbled onto this question of yours "Her endocrinologist said POTS was common in her reactive hypoglycemia patients. Why would that be so?" and in the article "How sugar is contributing to her orthostatic intolerance isn't clear but the fact it does is clear." and saw an opportunity to maybe add something to the conversation. Here is my hyphotesis:

I am a long time ME/CFS/Fibro patient and am now digging deaper into the topic of epineprhine/adrealine. When I saw this article and these questions I thought: adrenaline? because:
A) One type of POTS and a comparable type of dysautomia are called hyperadrenergic or caused by high amounts of adrenaline in the blood.
B) Sometimes adrenaline is called the opposite-of-insulin hormone. While adrenaline has many unrelated effects, it's effect on blood sugar (glucose) is near opposite of the effect of insulin.

Therefore I did look further and started looking up "reactive hypoglycemia" and ended up with https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reactive_hypoglycemia
-> The lists of signs and symptoms had some extended overlap with the symptoms of high adrenaline levels (and CFS to some extend too). And under causes on this site: "Some researchers suggest that certain people may be more sensitive to the body’s normal release of the hormone epinephrine, which causes many of the symptoms of hypoglycemia."
Having seen this I went further too look into it I came too http://www.emedicinehealth.com/low_blood_sugar_hypoglycemia/page3_em.htm
-> The article opens with "Epinephrine is among the major hormones released during hypoglycemia. Epinephrine causes the majority of the early symptoms of hypoglycemia."

Now comes the potential link with POTS in http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3904426/ (and also in http://myheart.net/pots-syndrome/types/).
-> When looking too the brown tabs in the first article one can find
"Hyperadrenergic POTS
One subset of POTS is characterized by an excessive increase of plasma norepinephrine and a rise of BP on standing. Hyperadrenergic POTS is defined as POTS associated with a systolic BP increment ≥10 mmHg during 10 minutes of HUT, and an orthostatic plasma norepinephrine ≥600 pg/mL. These patients have similar HR increment to nonhyperadrenergic POTS, but tend to have prominent symptoms of sympathetic activation, such as palpitations, anxiety, tachycardia, and tremulousness. These patients have a larger fall in BP following ganglionic blockade with trimethaphan, and higher upright plasma norepinephrine levels than did nonhyperadrenergic POTS patients, presumably indicating a major role of orthostatic sympathetic activation. Elevation of plasma norepinephrine ≥600 pg/mL) was documented in 29.0% of patients tested in a recent study."
-> Epinephrine is not the same as norepinephrine, but the later is a precursor to the former so both often are found in concert. Epinephrine itself is rarely measured as it is very hard and expensive to do so.
-> Often it is believed the POTS causes the boost in adrenaline, but it is not well understood yet. My take on it is that it is actually the adrenaline that causes the POTS. My point is of course clearly unproven.
-> I found likewise links between adrenaline and one form of dysautomia before but they are harder to find.

Another unproven opinion of me is that ME/CFS/Fibro (or some subset of it) go often hand in hand with very long periods of largely elevated adrenaline levels. My reasoning is as follows.
-> A large subset of symptoms of ME/CFS/Fibro overlap with symptoms of high doses of adrenaline.
-> Often ME/CFS patient are told to have a fight-or-flight response, tight muscles, look anxious... and that all can be attributed to high levels of adrenaline too.
-> Most patients with ME/CFS have sleeping disorders while simultaniously being totaly exhausted; sleeping with supposed (by me) high to very levels of adrenaline ain't easy.
-> Unlike psychiatrists, I again do turn cause and effect: I believe it is the disease that causes the high levels of adrenaline, not the other way arround (as for example fear would lead to adrenaline and further to CFS).

This leads to another unproven opinion of me:
-> I redefine stress (unscientifically, in order to demonstrate my feelings/thoughts) as: "mental or fysical challenges you can not complete with a normal amount of effort or within normal parameters of your body"
-> That definition of mine fits almost any effort a patient with ME/CFS does many times a day such as walking a mile, 10-yard, brushing theets, speaking, watching tele, remembering his own name... depending on the level of the disease.
-> Tens of times a day actions can not be complete within normal efforts. In my definition this acts as a strong stressor. Extra strong efforts are required to complete the actions. Adrenaline can give the temporal needed boost if you are really willing to complete the effort. Many ME/CFS/Fibro patient are of the enduring type and do want to complete the action. Large amounts of adrenaline are produced to enable the body or mind to do so. While adrenaline is short-lived, the aggitation caused by the adrenaline release causes mental stress and thus new adrenaline to be released. As a result, large parts of day and night the body is flushed by adrenaline.
-> Adrenaline, produced by these frequent stresses is a cause of POTS and dysautonomia.
For the effect of "efforts" on adrenaline levels see also https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epinephrine
-> "Endogenous plasma epinephrine concentrations in resting adults are normally less than 10 ng/L, but may increase by 10-fold during exercise and by 50-fold or more during times of stress." If adrenaline/epinephrine can increase that much because of exercise and stress in healthy people, imaging what it might do in us.

Regarding the effect of sugar and hydrocarbs: I noticed that in my body adrenaline witouth sufficient sugar/glucose acts quite different from adrenaline with sufficient amounts of sugar. Also, as earlier mentioned: adrenaline together with insulin is one of two hormones that dominate glucose biochemistry.

Summarised:
-> All of the above may well be wrong; I am not an MD, just a patient in disparate need of improvement.
-> If parts of it were to be true, I do not believe adrenaline is the cause from ME/CFS. It looks more like a way to cope with the disease.
-> As the cost of running on adrenaline can be very high and more adrenaline could be produced the longer and more intense an effort is, it could in part be responsible for PEM when pushing the limits too far.
-> Adrenaline is more for emergencies. It changes a healthy persons judgement into something like "yes, I can lift this car on my own, why would I doubt about it?". It could as well be responsible for the very often overestimation of capabilities people with ME/CFS have and that leads them to overexcerting time and again.
-> While Adrenaline sounds in my vision as an evildoer, I doubt it is. It has a good and a pretty bad side. Maybe neither non of it nor too much of it does any good and finding a balance may be the better option.

Kind regards,
Jurgen

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources