A Wrenching Consequence of Fibromyalgia: Losing One's Job

Cort

Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising
Staff member
She worked as a teacher for 20 years and then got sick. She was fired from her job. She began experiencing pains so severe that she was screaming and had convulsions. She was diagnosed with fibromyalgia and lupus - and then later had a heart attack! Then her mother died and her unemployment ran out.

“This last year has really been a battle to find hope,” Ms. Dubins said. “I’ve lost everything, and it feels shameful. I’m in my own world of doom, and there is nothing to look forward to.”

She continues to receive treatment for her depression. But, she said: “It feels like it’s not my life anymore. It’s like I’m watching a story that I shouldn’t be in. I want to change the channel already. It’s been too long. I feel like a loser.”

What a fall many with people severe chronic illnesses face - the job loss, the loss of income, the guilt and depression - the desire to change the channel. I'm sure many can relate.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/08/nyregion/when-the-loss-of-a-job-feels-like-the-end-of-life.html

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources