Almost painful itching in hands and feet?

David Tyrer

Anybody else get almost painful itching in hands/feet?

It feels like pins and needless but actually quite painful and itchy. Definitely feels neurological, no rashes or anything at all.

Comes on when I'm too hot, stressed or anxious and almost always after I've had something hot to drink or eat too.

David Tyrer

I had that, among a zillion other bizarre things. I don't like to post unless I know something for sure. All I know is that I got better after antibiotic therapy. What is your diet like?

The only thing that helped was to rub my bare feet on concrete.

No, I haven't actually tried antibiotics yet. It's literally the only thing I've not tried yet, but as I have no reason to ask for antibiotics, there's no reason for my GP to give me any!

My diet at the moment is gluten, dairy, wheat, any mostly soya free. Has been for over a year now.

Issie

Have you been checked for neuropathy? Sounds like that and many of us have it.

David Tyrer

Have you been checked for neuropathy? Sounds like that and many of us have it.

No, I actually haven't as of yet. I was initially being investigated for FND but the first neurogist I saw did a few minor tests and based on an MRI I'd had done he dismissed the notion that I was suffering with anything neurological.

I am pretty sure it's neuropathy of some sort myself.

ono_desu

made the genius decision of getting sinus surgery while having a chronic active virus and now i get itching and burning all over my body :/ i'm hoping for a slow recovery but it is quite annoying. how long have you been having those symptoms?

David Tyrer

They've been on and off for months now, but recently started to get worse and more frequent.

Funnily enough, I am awaiting a date for sinus surgery too! Ha

Apo Sci

Yes same thing. I think its due to neuropathy related to herpes virus infection. Areas are also cold and have Raynaud's disease.

David Tyrer

So it's now a few months since I first posted this and I've got up this morning after having been kept awake last night and - seemingly - woken up this morning by this itching/tingling feeling.

It's become much more insistent and almost painful.

Is this a common neurological symptom of ME?

Apo Sci

Do you have twitching proceeding the itching? Twitching indicates apoptosis of motor nerve cells which is the body's defense against viruses. If successful they become numb, then the area becomes hypersensitive, including itching then would normalize. However, if there is a high viral load then the nagalase from the virus aborts the response and the twitching stops and the area becomes cold due to inflammation of the blood vessels.

David Tyrer

Do you have twitching proceeding the itching? Twitching indicates apoptosis of motor nerve cells which is the body's defense against viruses. If successful they become numb, then the area becomes hypersensitive, including itching then would normalize. However, if there is a high viral load then the nagalase from the virus aborts the response and the twitching stops and the area becomes cold due to inflammation of the blood vessels.

No, not usually. Although, I do also have restless leg syndrome, and it often proceeds that or comes along with it. I had an issue with just the itching and tingling about 12 years ago when I was fit and had no other health issues. It just occurred without prompting and was brought on by hot weather, showers, drinks. Then after about 6-8 months it just went. It came back again about 4-5 months ago.

I've always just assumed it's some neurological response to the CFS/ME.

Apo Sci

What viruses and bacteria have you been confirmed with? Have you had a nagalase test?

When I contracted mononucleosis I had a period for two weeks when I had twitching in my face and upper extremeties. Then it abated and my skin turned cold. Unfortuntely CRISPR gene editing hasn't yet been successful in removing viral DNA and they can only do it with very early embryos.

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources