Angry? Ready to Snap Someone's Head Off? Maybe it's Your Glutamate Levels

Cort

Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising
Staff member
However, the team broke ground by implanting the brains of living mice with a probe that can both microinject drugs and collect brain fluid samples.
Using this novel in vivo microdialysis approach, the researchers were able to observe an increase in glutamate release in the DRN during moments of aggression between the mice. Levels of serotonin also increased in the DRN and the medial prefrontal cortex during intensely aggressive behavior, but not during "normal adaptive aggression."

What the team concludes, therefore, is that glutamate input to the DRN is critical for escalating aggressive behavior and thus causes a surge of serotonin in the DRN.

The researchers hope that their findings, published in The Journal of Neuroscience, may suggest targets for future extreme antisocial behavior treatments.

Cort

Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising
Staff member
Agreed - not much information you can do much with right now..that I know of anyway.

However, glutamate excitoxicity caused by inflammation or viruses or both is certainly a prime candidate for ME/CFS and FM (and Lyme) and it would help explain the extreme irritability and sensitivity that I have experienced frequently after getting ill. I think more than frustration is at work here.

Who Me?

That's what I think. The past week my emotions have been all over the place. I'm either really angry or really upset. The middle ground is rare right now.

@Cort if you find any more about this, something we can take, can you tag me and let me know? These mood swings are exhausting.

Issie

@Strike me lucky Don't you know about NMDA receptors? I vaguely remember you talking about it. What say you about this?
Marco and I have both written about our hypothesis of glutamate and dopamine playing a part in the illness. If you look up Marcos blog - he goes into detail. I have written a good bit on another forum about glutamate and NMDA receptors and POTS. It for sure causes anxiety and panic and could trigger anger. There could be lower GABA when glutamate is high. But for myself, anything that ups GABA causes a paradox reaction and instead if it helping, my symptoms get worse. Too high GABA can cause depression. We are talking about the sympathetic and parasympathetic systems. It's a fine balancing act.

Issie

Who Me?

Thanks but I can't read that much and I won't remember anything or understand. It is beyond the functioning of my one working brain cell.

In fact I can't even read your comment without my brain shutting down. Talk to me like I'm in the 2nd grade and I might understand. Then immediately forget. :bag:

Strike me lucky

High Nmda can reduce gaba sensitivity.

Nmda antagonists are said to reduce benzo tolerance, so if one feels like their benzo sleep meds arent working than a nmda antagonist such as dxm/dextromethorphan, common ingredient in some cough medicines, can reduce nmda.

Nmda antagonists can also help reduce symptoms of benzo withdrawal if one is trying to taper off benzos.

also been research on dxm which helped with fibro pain. The theory is that nmda is somewhat responsible for pain in fibro.

Who Me?

That's where i heard it. So can dxm cut down on anger?

Interesting because I just realized I haven't taken any I awhile.

Boy that'd nice.

Who Me?

I haven't had a problem with it. I've been using it for a while For tolerance.

I know others who take it with no problem.

Strike me lucky

Dxm just one example of a nmda antagonist which is easy to get. Everything needs to be checked for side effects and interections I guess. Sorry, I just presume everyone would research what they take. Something I always do and sometimes can find interesting alternatives and extra info.

another nmda antagonist used in other neurological conditions is memantine. It also has other anti inflammatory effects such as lowering cytokines like tnf alpha which commonly high in mecfs.

another nmda antagonist is ketamine where interesting research on depression treatment looks promising. It was also reguarded by dr Jay Goldstein as one of his most effective treatments for mecfs. I think doses used were much lower than commonly used in medicine for pain relief.

from memory I think tramadol has some nmda antagonist effects??

Who Me?

And this where we are all different. I have no problem with passion flower but it can make others vomit. Valerian makes me vomit if I get near it. There is no one size fits all for everyone and herbs are not without their own issues.

I personally don't need anyone treating me like an infant and warning me about the pros and cons of things. I've seen people who have no idea what they are talking about run around like an insane person bashing every treatment and supplement they see. You may be right but how do I know?

I'm a big girl and I make my own decisions. It's up to me to decide the risks I want to take. I'm in excruciating pain without ibuprofen. So what do I do? Nothing? Everything is a trade off.

@Strike me lucky is correct when he says, everything has a side effect. Warn people they have them and if they want to know they can ask.

Who Me?

My cognitive functioning is such that I don't understand technical things.

My need to have someone who doesnt know me treat me like I'm ignorant is a separate issue and has nothing to do with my cognitive functioning.

For me personally, when I want advice I'll ask for it.

As for feeling better soon? That's hilarious!!.

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources