Anti-inflammatories Reduce Exercise induced Fatigue

Cort

Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising
Staff member
Fatigue elicited by this exhaustive protocol may involve disturbances of the central nervous system.

Hey it's rats and it's just ibuprofen but it suggests that inflammation does indeed help drive fatigue and that central nervous system inflammation in particular plays a key role. I believe that acetylcholinesterase has been investigated in ME/CFS.

Good to see more fatigue research...

Scand J Med Sci Sports. 2015 Nov 21. doi: 10.1111/sms.12549. [Epub ahead of print]Ibuprofen intake increases exercise time to exhaustion: A possible role for preventing exercise-induced fatigue.
Lima FD1, Stamm DN1, Della Pace ID2, Ribeiro LR3, Rambo LM2, Bresciani G4, Ferreira J5, Rossato MF6, Silva MA7, Pereira ME6, Ineu RP8, Santos AR3, Bobinski F3, Fighera MR9, Royes LF1.
Author information

Abstract

Although the intake of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) intake by athletes prevents soreness, little is known concerning their role in exercise performance. This study assessed the effects of ibuprofen intake on an exhaustive protocol test after 6 weeks of swimming training in rats.

Animals were divided into sedentary and training groups. After training, animals were subdivided into two subsets: saline or ibuprofen. Afterwards, three repeated swimming bouts were performed by the groups. Ibuprofen (15 mg/kg) was administered once a day. Pain measurements were performed and inflammatory and oxidative stress parameters were assayed in cerebral cortex and gastrocnemius muscle.

Training, ibuprofen administration, or both combined (P < 0.05; 211 ± 18s, 200 ± 31s, and 279 ± 23s) increased exercise time to exhaustion. Training decreased the acetylcholinesterase (AChE) activity (P < 0.05; 149 ± 11) in cerebral cortex. Ibuprofen intake decreased the AChE activity after exhaustive protocol test in trained and sedentary rats (P < 0.05; 270 ± 60; 171 ± 38; and 273 ± 29). It also prevented neuronal tumor necrosis factor-α (TNF-α) and interleukin (IL 1β) increase.

Fatigue elicited by this exhaustive protocol may involve disturbances of the central nervous system. Additive anti-inflammatory effects of exercise and ibuprofen intake support the hypothesis that this combination may constitute a more effective approach. In addition, ergogenic aids may be a useful means to prevent exercise-induced fatigue.

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources