Anyone trying Synergy Protocol? KPax & Ritalin

San Diego

I am easing into the Synergy protocol. It took me about 3 weeks to get up to the recommended 8 tablets of KPax daily. Once settled into that for about a week, I added the 5 mg Ritalin just yesterday.

Notes thus far:
* The folks at KPax Pharm have been wonderful in familiarizing me with the Synergy Protocol. They offered suggestions and tips, and by following their advice I was able to progress slowly.

*I have never tolerated a multi-vitamin before. I've had no ill effects from KPax Immune - possibly because I titrated slowly to the suggested dose; probably because it is formulated for those with mitochondrial issues?

*When I attempted the full protocol on day one (several weeks ago), I felt wired and headachy. Now that I've built slowly, I feel nothing, even with the Ritalin. This is apparently the sweet spot - patients are not to "feel" either the supplement or the drug.

I plan to stick with this for the recommended 12 weeks. If I remember, I'll update as I go!

Who Me?

I've never heard of this although I think Cort posted about Kpax.

Can you explain it but dumbed down?

Thanks

San Diego

Did you just answer your own question lol?

Kaiser, the MD who formulated KPAX Immune, got his start working with AIDS patients, so his formulation has been well researched. If you look at the ingredients, he covers all the bases that we hear so much about. While it's costly, it would be much more if I tried to get all the active ingredients separately (which I've tried over the years)

More can be found at the Synergy Trial website.

Here's a link to the preliminary trial. I don't think the full trial has been published yet, but the results are in and are said to be encouraging. Of course, I don't know what criteria were used to diagnose participants, but they did come from well-known ME/CFS research sites.

Who Me?

I can't read that but I did find some info after I posted.

How many Kpax you taking? Wasn't it 6/day? So one bottle has #60 and that's $49? That's the end of my math but cha-ching. Just cannot do it.

I know I looked at the ingredients when Cort posted and I take a lot of the stuff already.

I can see how it might work. I was a huge believer in stimulants about 10 years ago. My favorite was Focalin. Lasts about 5 hours, easy taper and puts you in a good mood.

Now though most things make me jittery and do zero for my fog.

I'll be curious to hear how you do on this. It's great to have another approach.

Are you back on Famvir?

Last edited:

San Diego

I am back on Famvir, @Minx . Just 250 mg twice daily til my liver stops being a jerk. :D

Because I'm not supposed to "feel" the ritalin, I feel relatively safe about taking it. The last thing I need is to become dependent on a stimulant. When I first took it, I took the rec'd 5 mg am and pm and it made me feel gross. So now I'm just doing 2.5 mg twice daily. Much better.

Speaking of hard to read, and idea how to make quotes appear larger. They are tough!

Who Me?

@sdsu ask stavya about quotes.

Glad your back on.

I'm up to 1000 mgs. If I ever get my lab results I'll go from there. Quest has no record even though they have my fecal kit which I got when I was there

Doc has to call. Morons

Cort

Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising
Staff member
Did you just answer your own question lol?

Kaiser, the MD who formulated KPAX Immune, got his start working with AIDS patients, so his formulation has been well researched. If you look at the ingredients, he covers all the bases that we hear so much about. While it's costly, it would be much more if I tried to get all the active ingredients separately (which I've tried over the years)

More can be found at the Synergy Trial website.

Here's a link to the preliminary trial. I don't think the full trial has been published yet, but the results are in and are said to be encouraging. Of course, I don't know what criteria were used to diagnose participants, but they did come from well-known ME/CFS research sites.
I am really enjoying the Fibro Fatigue pack with the caffeine - from Synergy.

I have to take it very slowly - much smaller doses than they suggest but it's definitely increasing my increasing energy AND reducing my pain.

Lissa

I've taken ATP Fuel for mitochondrial support since late 2013. I swear it's one of the things that has helped me with energy the most. It seems to have very similar ingredients to the KPAX formula, although my naturopath wouldn't verify it or chime in when it came to investigating the KPAX/Ritalin combo to compare. The recommended dose for ATP Fuel was 5 pills every morning, but since I am small I took only 3/day. In the past 6 months or so I felt it wasn't working as well, so my naturopath just upped me to 4/day. It's been a week, and I felt better right out of the gate. This time I recovered faster from my (5 hour) trip to see him... which included a stopover for Easter hub-bub and birthday celebrations with the In-laws. (Yes, I was broken for nearly 2 weeks after... but that is GOOD considering the distance and the events covered!)

I also might add that I regularly drink a very large cup of 1/2 caf coffee every morning. Perhaps that falls in line with the KPAX ideas for low-dose stimulants in addition to the formula. Full test coffee does me in -- I drank some by mistake while visiting friends over Easter weekend and my POTS was insane! HR was in the 120's and 140's just trying to talk... ok well -- it was also in a madhouse of a bazillion relatives packed into a small house and shouting. Think NOISY bar scene... haaa... but I digress.

ATP Fuel was first prescribed for me after I came down with Lyme on top of the ME/CFS. In my opinion it worked wonders for energy levels. Probably a 10% increase for me?

San Diego

Update: 7 days into full Synergy protocol

I had to lower my daily dose of methylphenidate (generic ritalin) as 5 mg daily made me feel wired. I now take one dose of 2.5 mg every morning. This is much lower than recommended, but the folks at KPax are very clear about not "feeling" the ritalin.

While I don't feel much physically, I mentally am a little more myself. I have a desire to plan and execute. Looking back on the week, I realize that I was able to follow through more than usual. I made several appointments (things I've been needing to do for months) and
when talking on the phone with a friend, I found myself enjoying rather than enduring. I did, however, crash myself as a result.

Dr. Kaiser is very adamant that participants in the Synergy Trial not increase activities for the first 3 months even if they feel like doing so. Easier said than done, but I shall try!

Might just be a giant coincidence. Time will tell.

San Diego

3 weeks into full Synergy Protocol:

1. Increased ability to plan and execute continues

2. My emotions are MUCH steadier - perhaps because I'm thinking more clearly and able to remember more. In the past, I felt like I had to resolve the same life issues repeatedly, day after day, because I couldn't remember the prior day's solutions/ resolutions.

3. I'm now able to stand up for myself - again, it's likely the clear thinking and better memory? The past 3 years I've been an unwilling "victim" of circumstances because I couldn't think fast enough to respond in a timely fashion to anything. This feels more like me.

4. No real increase in energy, but an increase in the desire to do more. Hopefully energy will follow, but as KPAX's Dr. Kaiser warns, there should be no increase in activities for at least 3 months anyway.

Onward and upward!

San Diego

I'
So it sounds like its really helping cognitive function vs physical.

I so get the not being able to process quickly.
I've been pleasantly surprised by the cognitive effects. Didn't expect that. Turns out the timing was perfect - I kinda need my brain and the ability to stand up for myself at this current moment in time.

San Diego

Any updates for us @Cort or @sdsu? Just curious as to how its going!
Thanks for asking! Like so many things, the KPax ended up in my (giant) bin of “that didn’t work” supplements. I wasn’t comfortable continuing use, with no discernible benefit, considering my mouth full of amalgams and KPax’s ALA.

I still occasionally use a small dose of the Ritalin when I need my brain. I think that’s where the positive cognitive effects were coming from, and I noticed no difference when I discontinued the KPax.

Abrin

I've never had any luck with Ritalin. I am glad to hear it has been helpful for you.

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources