Are You Taking the Right Kind of Magnesium?

Cort

Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising
Staff member
From the early days of chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS) and fibromyalgia (FM) magnesium supplementation has been recommended by ME/CFS/FM practitioners.

Magnesium can effect the blood pressure, improve metabolism, calm the nervous system, reduce oxidative stress and inflammation and insulin resistance, etc. Although magnesium is not a cure-all, taking the right form of magnesium can help reduce muscle and nerve pain, cramping, nerve pain and even help calm the body and the mind.

http://www.naturalnews.com/046401_magnesium_dietary_supplements_nutrient_absorption.html#

And it cites one form in particular for fatigue - magnesium malate...Do you concur? Does magnesium work for you?

The Best Forms of Magnesium

Magnesium citrate -- Natural News reports that magnesium citrate is inexpensive, easily absorbed and commonly used. Because the citric acid in it is a mild laxative, Mg citrate works great to help with constipation but if you have loose bowels stay away!

Magnesium taurate -- Magnesium taurate is the best choice of magnesium supplement for people with cardiovascular issues, since it is known to prevent arrhythmias and guard the heart from damage caused by heart attacks. Magnesium taurate is easily absorbed (magnesium and taurine stabilize cell membranes together), and it contains no laxative properties.

Magnesium malate -- Magnesium malate is a fantastic choice for people suffering from fatigue, since malic acid -- a natural fruit acid present in most cells in the body -- is a vital component of enzymes that play a key role in ATP synthesis (it helps metabolize glucose) and energy production. Since the ionic bonds of magnesium and malic acid are easily broken, magnesium malate is also highly soluble.

Dr. Thomas Riley asserts that magnesium malate works best for people with fibromyalgia.

Magnesium glycinate -- Magnesium glycinate (magnesium bound with glycine, a non-essential amino acid) is one of the most bioavailable and absorbable forms of magnesium, and also the least likely to induce diarrhea. It is the safest option for correcting a long-term deficiency.

Magnesium chloride -- Though magnesium chloride only contains around 12 percent elemental magnesium, it has an impressive absorption rate and is the best form of magnesium to take for detoxing the cells and tissues. Moreover, chloride (not to be confused with chlorine, the toxic gas) aids kidney function and can boost a sluggish metabolism.

Magnesium carbonate -- Magnesium carbonate is another popular, bioavailable form of magnesium that actually turns into magnesium chloride when it mixes with the hydrochloric acid in our stomachs. It is a good choice for people suffering from indigestion and acid reflux, since it contains antacid properties.

The Worst Forms of Magnesium

Magnesium oxide -- Magnesium oxide is the most common form of magnesium sold in pharmacies, but it is non-chelated and possesses a poor absorption rate compared to those listed above.

Magnesium sulfate -- Magnesium sulfate, also called Epsom salt, is a fantastic constipation aid but an unsafe source of dietary magnesium, since overdosing on it is easy.

Magnesium glutamate and aspartate -- Avoid these two forms of magnesium completely. Glutamic acid and aspartic acid are components of the dangerous artificial sweetener aspartame, and both of them become neurotoxic when unbound to other amino acids.

Learn more: http://www.naturalnews.com/046401_m...ments_nutrient_absorption.html##ixzz3VnbgAzc6

Last edited:

Mary Anne

I'm taking Schussler's Mag Phos 6X, a tissue cell salt that is recommended for muscle spasms, colic, etc. It's supposed to assist the body to utilize magnesium already in the body and from food. I've been taking 4 tablets 6x per day for a week now and I notice my legs are not cramping as badly at night and it does seem to help some with the vertigo and painful neck spasms. It's also very gentle on the stomach and nervous system, so I don't experience any negative side effects.

Cort

Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising
Staff member
Thanks Mary Anne - I think I should try Magnesium again. I have tight stiff muscles ....I really should try it..:)

tatt

Cort you haven't mentioned that people who have digestive issues may find it safer to get their magnesium through the skin. Those who are near the ocean can absorb it from lying in sea water but the usual way is to but 500gm ( 16 oz) magnesium sulphate (epsom salts) into a warm bath, soak for 15 minutes and pat dry For those with no tub you can get sprays e.g. http://www.amazon.com/Barbara-Hendels-Magnesium-Ancient-Zechstein/dp/B0026RCMAG These tend to dry the skin a bit. In the uk we can buy sacks of epsom salts, I found this on amazon.com http://www.amazon.com/10lbs-Epsom-S...1427693485&sr=1-2&keywords=magnesium+sulphate Do wonder if the magnesium is part of the reason some of us in the uk feel better abroad.

Magnesium is good for pain. I had really bad headaches that normal painkillers didn't touch, a magnesium sulphate bath reduced the pain from ready to kill myself to I can survive this. Also helps sleep a bit. Haven't noticed any direct help with fatigue but obviously sleeping a bit better helps. Take your magnesium before bed, or if you have pain maybe twice a day.

Only just started taking magnesium malate, I've tried other forms, so will let you know later about the fatigue. For anyone in the uk Floradix magnesium is easy to take and as it's liquid you can adjust the dose easily to bowel tolerance, don't know if that's sold in America.

I took 500 mg of Jamiesons' magnesium oxide/gluconate per day for many, many years. It never caused any diarrhea and although I didn't have lab results to prove it, I thought it was more than adequate for my body's requirements. Then about 6 months ago I heard about how the oxide formulas are hardly absorbed into the cell's. I wish I knew that a long time ago. According to this link, using a different formula (bisgycinate) may have helped ward off the endometriosis that forced me to have a hysterectomy. Regardless, bisgycinate looks to be another good choice to add to Cort's list of magnesium options.
healthyimmunity.com/products/Magnesium-Bisglycinate.asp

Last edited:
Thanks Mary Anne - I think I should try Magnesium again. I have tight stiff muscles ....I really should try it..:)
Cort, I see that the KPAX Energy contains only 50mg of Mg Citrate / 2 tablets and the KPAX Immune contains only 100 mg of Mg Citrate / 4 tablets. That's below the 200- 450 mg of magnesium that Dr. Jacob Teitelbaum suggests (he likes the (glycinate form). According to him, supplementing with magnesium should help with more than just the tight muscles that you mention.

Issie

Some forms can cause depression. Also if there are protozoa issues, it can increase the strength of the biofilm that surrounds it causing it to be even harder to be detected and destroyed. Magnesium may be depleted because of these pathogens using it up. So adding more, making them stronger could potentially make you sicker. My doc thinks once we get these invaders under control and detected - maybe magnesium levels will stabilize and balance out. This is one thing he doesn't want his patients to supplement.

Issie

This is one thing he doesn't want his patients to supplement.

Issie, I've never heard of a CFS/ME doc not wanting Mg added to their patients supplements. This is so interesting!
Other than 'too' much Magnesium can cause tiredness and/or other documented symptoms, this is the first I've heard of Mg supplementation possibly making our condition worse. Yikes..... How would you know if you have protozoa/biofilm issues?

Issie

I was tested with Labcorp testing and also by Dr Stephen Fry Lab. Dr Fry is on the cutting edge of discovery and has recently started publishing his findings. Following his suggestions has helped me more than anything else I've done.

Issie

Issie

http://forums.dinet.org/index.php?/...st-thing-now-seldom-have-severe-pots-or-mcas/

Here is a link to another forum where I have talked in depth about this. Within the article are some links to older threads that go into a lot of conversation and research. It will take awhile to read the research but you may find it interesting. One of the threads is one of the longest and most viewed on this site. For those of us who are doing this, as close as possible to the protocol, we are all improving. Most of us dont do forums any more. Im still trying to help others with what I've learned. It has been a turning point in my life. hope it helps others as it has me.

Issie

Thank-you, thank-you, thank-you!!! I haven't even read the articles yet but just you saying...
For those of us who are doing this, as close as possible to the protocol, we are all improving.

has renewed my hope!!
I will read what you posted. Great big hugs and thanks to you Issie!!

Issie

They found that one person got instant depression with a few types of magnesium and also calcium. It seems some are super sensitive to calcium and don't process it correctly - according to the one study. (Funny, I've never done well with calcium and I've tried every kind available.) One man had to totally eliminate all calcium and all dairy to maintain his emotional stability. The article said he didn't develop osteoporosis due to low calcium in a 5 year observation period - all was fine. This man had problems with magnesium glutamate and magnesium aspartate because it lead to excess glutamate (so these are the ones the article suggest NOT using.) (Another reason for a lowfat, vegan diet.)
Even though I dont use magnesium now, I found this research interesting. Especially since we are usually found to have low levels. But its more important to me to break down the biofilm to get the immune system to recognize the pathogens to get long term better heath. Not feed them and keep them healthy.
Heres the link:

http://george-eby-re...-depression.pdf

Issie

tatt

Excessive amounts of magnesium can be harmful and can interact with other medication http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Magnesium-HealthProfessional/#h8 Shouldn't ignore the balance between calcium and magnesiume either although most people get enough calcium in their diet.

Supplements up to 350mg are considered generally safe. I'm on a proton pump inhibitor and that can deplete magnesium so personally I suspect I could have more than 350mg.

I had to stop supplements for a time as I was on other medication, returning to them shows just how much they do for me. Had my best sleep in ages last night. Took calcium+ vitamin D and a magnesium malate tablet before bed.

Jo-Jo

I was tested with Labcorp testing and also by Dr Stephen Fry Lab. Dr Fry is on the cutting edge of discovery and has recently started publishing his findings. Following his suggestions has helped me more than anything else I've done.

Issie
I have just joined Phoenix rising and came across your post. I looked up Dr. Fry and sadly see that he has retired. However, i was excited to see he was in Phoenix. I'm in Tucson. I'm wondering if you got a referral from him for someone who is as knowledgeable. I know that i wouldn't be able to go to Phoenix very often but I'd love to see someone even once who might be of some help. I'm not sure but I'm wondering about magnesiums affect although I depend on it for constipation. How are you doing now that it's two years later?

Issie

I have just joined Phoenix rising and came across your post. I looked up Dr. Fry and sadly see that he has retired. However, i was excited to see he was in Phoenix. I'm in Tucson. I'm wondering if you got a referral from him for someone who is as knowledgeable. I know that i wouldn't be able to go to Phoenix very often but I'd love to see someone even once who might be of some help. I'm not sure but I'm wondering about magnesiums affect although I depend on it for constipation. How are you doing now that it's two years later?
I'm still on the journey. There has been a lot of twist and turns. I've learned more over the years and have collected other puzzle pieces.

Sadly, finding a doc with his knowledge of protozoa and the type mold/fungus he has found is proving difficult. But I'm seeing a naturopath (Dr Jennifer Smith) and she is trying. We are mostly doing a combo of Shoemaker and Klinghardt protocols. And her own spin. I have a few more things that I think I need to rule out. But I feel I know what I'm dealing with and what to do about it.

Issie

Dr Smith doesn't take Insurance and it's expensive. There is another doc who someone recommended that does take insurance in Scottsdale. I'll try to get her name. And the docs that does Fry Lab testing is Dr Sobels. There are 3 brothers and they are doing his testing.

Issie

Suzanne Lasala Wood at Sunset Clinic Family Medicine

I guess she is seeing some of his Lyme patients. I don't know anything about her.

minimus

According to Paul Cheney, all forms of oral magnesium are poorly absorbed in the GI tract. In my experience, oral magnesium has zero effect on my symptoms, energy level or cognitive function.

Cheney prescribed low-dose magnesium by injection-- either mag sulfate or mag chloride -- though a prescription is obviously required for this. I found that the injections were very helpful with wired/tired symptoms and to some extent with cognitive function.

Another good option according to Cheney is transdermal magnesium cream. But I find that magnesium chloride oil and/or brine that is readily available online really irritates my skin.

I recently found another source for a transdermal magnesium cream that does not sting at all called "Epsom Salts Cream" from New Beginnings Nutritionals. It isn't cheap, but a little goes a long way. It does not contain parabens or imidurea, both of which are carcinogenic, whereas Kirkman's magnesium cream contains both imidurea and parabens as preservatives, so I would avoid using it.

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources