Atlantic Article Suggests Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and Fibromyalgia Not Real Diseases

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Cort, Apr 24, 2016.

1. Cort

Cort Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising Staff Member

At least he also puts gluten intolerance in there and he acknowledges his possible designation of ME/CFS and FM as "cultural diseases" is controversial. ME/CFS and FM, of course, are found in Europe and Asia - Japan has a huge research effort underway to try and understand ME/CFS and Dr. Clauw has said that FM is the same in every country around the world.

The guy feels like our culture invents diseases and then people come to believe in them. He might be interested to learn that I had ME/CFS before the disease had been named and getting it named didn't change my symptoms at all!

Simon, Mary Hamilton, Hello! and 3 others like this.
  2. Cort

Cort Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising Staff Member

I left this comment:

To lump in chronic fatigue syndrome and fibromyalgia with turbine illness is unbelievable and unacceptable in a journal like the Atlantic. The National Enquirer - yes - the Atlantic - no.

I had chronic fatigue syndrome/fibromyalgia before they became named disease and I can tell you that my experiences of them changed not a whit after they became named.

Both are found in Europe and Asia and Japan has a large research program underway trying to figure out what chronic fatigue syndrome is. The central nervous system problems with pain inhibition/pain exacerbation as well as small nerve fiber neuropathy, in FM have been very well documented and numerous study show problems with autonomic nervous system functioning, NK cell functioning and metabolic problems during exercise with ME/CFS as well as increased oxidative stress, HPA axis dysfunction, increased lactate levels in the brain, low blood volume and others in ME/CFS.

The author might also like to know that several studies have found both ME/CFS and FM to be more functionally disabling than major diseases such as heart disease and cancer!

It unfortunate that people with these diseases need to read stuff like this.

Mary Hamilton, Veet, Hello! and 9 others like this.
  3. GG

GG Well-Known Member

Is there a link to this article? Not seeing it.

GG

Who Me? likes this.
  4. Who Me?

Who Me? Well-Known Member

Mary Hamilton and Veet like this.
  5. weyland

weyland Well-Known Member

GG and Who Me? like this.
  6. Who Me?

Who Me? Well-Known Member

stolen penis = CFS

Veet likes this.