Bed of nails...

Upgrayedd

Has anyone else out there tried an Acupressure Mat? It's about the size of yoga mat, and it's covered with what look like plastic cleats, like you'd see on a golf shoe.

You are supposed to lie on it for awhile in bed before going to sleep and it makes you drowsy and you fall asleep easier.

I bought one a couple of weeks ago in a fit of insomnia rage and... IT WORKS FOR ME!

I cannot even believe this torture device can make anyone sleepy, but I have fallen asleep within a few minutes of removing it each night, after a tough couple of weeks where every night I was awake for hours. I still tend to wake up a couple of times throughout the night, but at least I'm starting out asleep.

I"m not gonna lie to you... It hurts, especially the first few times, but it does something to the nervous systems, releases endorphins, something, and within a few minutes I'm yawning.

Anyone else try this?

Cort

Founder of Health Rising and Phoenix Rising
Staff member
Has anyone else out there tried an Acupressure Mat? It's about the size of yoga mat, and it's covered with what look like plastic cleats, like you'd see on a golf shoe.

You are supposed to lie on it for awhile in bed before going to sleep and it makes you drowsy and you fall asleep easier.

I bought one a couple of weeks ago in a fit of insomnia rage and... IT WORKS FOR ME!

I cannot even believe this torture device can make anyone sleepy, but I have fallen asleep within a few minutes of removing it each night, after a tough couple of weeks where every night I was awake for hours. I still tend to wake up a couple of times throughout the night, but at least I'm starting out asleep.

I"m not gonna lie to you... It hurts, especially the first few times, but it does something to the nervous systems, releases endorphins, something, and within a few minutes I'm yawning.

Anyone else try this?

Wow...Now that is interesting. You would have thought just the opposite..

One website said:

Acupressure mats stimulate your skin and pressure points in your body, which in turn triggers the production of endorphins and oxytocin – your body’s own natural pain-relieving and feel-good hormones. The release of these hormones result in the relief of pain and stress without the use of harmful drugs.

Here are some interesting reviews - http://www.beyondtalk.net/acupressure-mat/

Check out the guy who invented it. From Wikipedia

According to Tanya Zilberter, Ph.D., author of the book Reflexo-Therapy From Kutzenov Applicator to Shakti Mat, the idea regarding the bed of nails was introduced in Russia during the mid-19th century by Russian celebrity, Ivan Turgenev in his novel “Eve” wherein a patient in the story was asked to lie down on a bed of needles before a surgery. The procedure was done to keep the patient relaxed and his blood pressure at normal levels. Zilberter believed that acupuncture is the theory behind the procedure.

Zilberter found the person who created the first acupressure mat was Ivan Kuznetsov, a Russian music teacher who suffered from chronic pain. He had a severely impaired peripheral circulation and muscle spasm to the point that he could not move his limbs. Acupuncture was the only treatment that made him feel better, but the cost per session was too expensive for him, and only a few clinics in the country offer free acupuncture. He tried to learn how to perform acupuncture on himself, but he failed because he could not reach all the acupressure points on his back.

Kuznetsov then decided to pierce a sheet of tire rubber with thousands of office pins ¼ inch apart and lay on it to reach the acupressure points of his back. His idea worked and called his invention "Iplikator" and filed a patent in 1979.

Reactions: Hip

Hip

Someone bought me one of these plastic acupressure mats (they look like this), and I tried to lie on it once, but it felt pretty unpleasant. However, I did not realize it has benefits for sleep and insomnia. I will have to try it for that purpose.

Cort

Staff member
Someone bought me one of these plastic acupressure mats (they look like this), and I tried to lie on it once, but it felt pretty unpleasant. However, I did not realize it has benefits for sleep and insomnia. I will have to try it for that purpose.
Yes, and it apparently can take some time to get used to...

Hip

Yes, and it apparently can take some time to get used to...

Aren't endorphins also released from caressing the skin though? That might be a more pleasant approach than sharp nails to trigger endorphin release.

Perhaps the health services should provide free of charge a nightly sensual massage service for ME/CFS patients!

Cort

Staff member
Aren't endorphins also released from caressing the skin though? That might be a more pleasant approach than sharp nails to trigger endorphin release.

Perhaps the health services should provide free of charge a nightly sensual massage service for ME/CFS patients!
I think that's a great idea and it would probably help. :wacky:

Cort

Staff member

Anyone else try this?
I'm going to put acupressure mats in the sleep resource section. Which one did you get by the way?

Last edited:

Remy

Administrator
I bought one and used it for about a month. Not helpful for me but I was able to return for a refund so happy about that.

Tina

I purchased one for myself and one for my husband for Christmas 2014. Spoonk brand. Very high reviews. I could not use it. It simply hurt too much. I'm pretty thin so maybe that was the issue? Don't remember my husband's feelings, but I do know that he does not not use it.

Upgrayedd

@Remy and @Tina
It's definitely not for everyone. Even though it works well for me, I can't say it feels 'good'. It is sharp and you have to move carefully on it. My teenage son felt the same way.

Then my wife tried it, who is not known for a high threshold of pain and she said it felt great to her. She didn't find it painful at all and kinda liked the way it felt. Strange, but she can fall asleep just by closing her eyes, so she doesn't use the mat.

All I can say is that since I've been using it, I have fallen asleep easily every single night. I still have issues waking up during the night, but falling asleep has stopped being a problem.

Remy

Administrator
@Remy and @Tina
It's definitely not for everyone. Even though it works well for me, I can't say it feels 'good'. It is sharp and you have to move carefully on it. My teenage son felt the same way.

Then my wife tried it, who is not known for a high threshold of pain and she said it felt great to her. She didn't find it painful at all and kinda liked the way it felt. Strange, but she can fall asleep just by closing her eyes, so she doesn't use the mat.

All I can say is that since I've been using it, I have fallen asleep easily every single night. I still have issues waking up during the night, but falling asleep has stopped being a problem.
I'm all for giving it a try...especially with a money back guarantee!

I didn't really find it painful, per se, either. The worst part for me was being cold laying on the floor with my back exposed. I had a blanket but was never really warm enough.

Upgrayedd

The worst part for me was being cold laying on the floor with my back exposed. I had a blanket but was never really warm enough.
Oh I don't lie on the floor! That would be cold.

According to the instructions I got, u put it on your bed and lie on it. So I'm not cold or uncomfortable.

Car00

There are different brands out there, so it is important to find the acupressure mat that works for you. Spoonk has 6640 nails on their mats. That is about 2000 less nails than the original Bed of Nails mat, that has 8820 nails on their mats. This makes a big difference in pain. More nails will give you less pain with more treatment because you have more weight on each nail, and you also have more acupressure points stimulated. If you go to the website bedofnails.org you will find a video that shows ways to use the Bed of Nails that is comfortable. If using it directly on the floor, it is more painful and less comfortable. It is better to use it on the bed to help your mattress form around your curved back and shoulders. If you are sensitive, it's better to lean against the mat to not put as much weight on the nails. The back of a sofa or armchair is a good place to relax on it this way. Bed of Nails also offer Pillows for curved areas like the neck, lumbar and under your feet, and Straps to reach areas on the body that are not as easily reached with the mat or pillow, like tying it around your arm, leg or lower back, or around your forehead to relieve headaches.

Remy

Administrator
There are different brands out there, so it is important to find the acupressure mat that works for you. Spoonk has 6640 nails on their mats. That is about 2000 less nails than the original Bed of Nails mat, that has 8820 nails on their mats. This makes a big difference in pain. More nails will give you less pain with more treatment because you have more weight on each nail, and you also have more acupressure points stimulated. If you go to the website bedofnails.org you will find a video that shows ways to use the Bed of Nails that is comfortable. If using it directly on the floor, it is more painful and less comfortable. It is better to use it on the bed to help your mattress form around your curved back and shoulders. If you are sensitive, it's better to lean against the mat to not put as much weight on the nails. The back of a sofa or armchair is a good place to relax on it this way. Bed of Nails also offer Pillows for curved areas like the neck, lumbar and under your feet, and Straps to reach areas on the body that are not as easily reached with the mat or pillow, like tying it around your arm, leg or lower back, or around your forehead to relieve headaches.
You wouldn't be Carina, the owner of Bed of Nails, by any chance?

Upgrayedd

You wouldn't be Carina, the owner of Bed of Nails, by any chance?
Hah! I was thinking the same thing!

I'm sure there are differences between products - there always are. But the one I purchased has over 1,800 reviews on Amazon with an average rating of 4.6, and it works for me. I'll stick with it.

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources