best stimulant in viral and nonviral CFS

which stimulant medication(s) do you take ?

• US Desoxyn (N-methylamphetamine hcl)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • US Dexedrine, DE Attentin (dextro-amphetaminesulfate)

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • US Adderall (levo/dextro-amphetamine salts)

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • US Vyvanse, DE Elvanse (lisdexamphetamine dimesylate)

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • US, CAN, DE... Ritalin, DE Medikinet, DE MethylpheniTAD (dextro/levo-threo-methylphenidate hcl)

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • US, CH Focalin (dextro-threo-methylphenidate hcl)

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • US, DE, NL... Strattera (atomoxetine hcl)

• US Provigil, DE Vigil, A, CH Modasomil, CAN Alertec (modafinil hcl)

Votes: 6 46.2%
  • other

• Total voters

loki

[bimg=bcenter|297|no-lightbox]http://i.imgur.com/Od3WUvs.jpg[/bimg]
[bimg=bcenter|297|no-lightbox]http://imgur.com/zG49YDW.jpg[/bimg]
[bimg=bcenter|297|no-lightbox]http://i.imgur.com/1PkCy6b.jpg[/bimg]
Heyho!

So, it became my little hobby, here in closed psychiatry, to show up in my doctors office as often as possible and tweak my prescription settings.

She slowly became a little upset about it within the last year, but she always tries to help me out with my (sometimes weird :woot:) drug experiments because she saw me suffering damn hard.

It would be fine if you could name some advantages/disadvantages of your stim and what doctor it prescribes and what you pay for it.

I get Ritalin but want to switch to Dexedrine for which i would have to pay 150$ for 50tabs (3 per day) but it is worth the money 10 fold.

Dex is the smoothest of all stims, it increases Dopamine, Noradrenaline, Serotonine (unofficially) and has strong binding affinities to these receptors.

It has virtually no side effects if you stay on a low dose and even then, increases alertness, concentration, memory and cognitive skills.

the smooth aspect of the drug does correlate with the duration of action which is over 6h, so you must rarely pop a second dose. when the drug stops, no depression or axiety occurs.

look at those sexy paragraphs :D

//edited because i didn't slept for 2 days...

Last edited:

Who Me?

I don't take it anymore but focalin was by far my favorite. It eased in, did not have a huge drop off and crash and it put me in a good mood.

I took it when necessary to function. Now stimulants would only give me a false sense of energy which i would use to go way beyond my limit and thne crash bad.

Paragraphs good but still big enough on my phone so can't read it.

loki

Low doses of hc 5 to 10mg and modafinil 50mg helps my brain work.
low doses of what?

did you ever try ritalin? Can you name any difference between it and modafinil?

I don't take it anymore but focalin was by far my favorite. It eased in, did not have a huge drop off and crash and it put me in a good mood.

I took it when necessary to function. Now stimulants would only give me a false sense of energy which i would use to go way beyond my limit and thne crash bad.

Paragraphs good but still big enough on my phone so can't read it.
I had nearly the same experience with Dextroamphetamine, D-L amphetamines give me astronomic heartrates, but Dex, which is the D isomer, not. just the positive features remain. seems to be often, that different isomers are responsible for different effects and side effects.
i never did focalin but i'm sure i wouldn't have those side effects i have with ritalin. sadly i can't buy focalin in GER. it's importable from Switzerland but a pill would cost me ~$7.50 which is completely unacceptable.

Last edited:

Strike me lucky

low doses of what?

did you ever try ritalin? Can you name any difference between it and modafinil?

Low dose hc is hydrocortisone which i used intermittently to get through work mostly. Also tested low cortisol and very low dhea so adrenal dysfunction going on.

A friend who had been prescribed ritalin to use gave me a few to try. The first time 5mg i think gave me energy but i couldnt sleep a wink later that night. Overall not a good experience. I tried it two more times and it then made me very sleepy. So no idea what happened there.

Low dose modafinil was good in that it help my brain yo work. More cognitive energy than physical energy. Higher doses just made the effects last longer and made sleep difficult.

I think if they are used when u need to get something done it can help but all the time your just whipping a dead horse really.

loki

yeah, it's really helpful to get work done! i was treated as a kid and i hated it, now with CFS i love it :hilarious: i wouldn't know what to do without it....
why did you take cortison if i may ask?

also, with ritalin: one has to take a quite large dose (40mg at least) for a few weeks to feel the effects i've learned...

Seanko

@loki Try a few yoga positions & stretches. Especially those where your head is below your heart (unless you have heart problems!) Increases blood flow to your head & around your body. Yoga practitioners talk about soothing the nervous system, I will not comment. :)

Yoga poses for Fatigue

Not as funky as the drugs you have mentioned but worth a try for brain fog.

loki

thank you, i'm also not a big fan of psycho drugs but i'm in a closed psychiatry since 2 years because i hallucinated and tried to kill myself under the influence of interferon and the people here try to throw pills at you like there's no morning. Yoga is worth a try, when i have time, i will try it.

Paw

I've been intolerant of stims -- they tend to make me sick (flu-like) and paradoxically fatigued -- but I've recently been trying very small doses of dextroamphetamine, like 2.5 mg, which, surprisingly, gives me a pretty decent lift. I can still nap after taking it, but I can also push myself to get some work done.

Normal doses of dextro, focalin, nuvigil, even buproprion, would always raise my BP into some uncomfortable spikes (dextro more so than the others), but the small doses of dextro have kept my BP pretty much at baseline.

I haven't gone back to try the other stims at such low doses, so I don't know how I'd react.

But I've been recently learning that smaller doses of most of my supplements and meds are usually better.

loki

I've been intolerant of stims -- they tend to make me sick (flu-like) and paradoxically fatigued -- but I've recently been trying very small doses of dextroamphetamine, like 2.5 mg, which, surprisingly, gives me a pretty decent lift. I can still nap after taking it, but I can also push myself to get some work done.

Normal doses of dextro, focalin, nuvigil, even buproprion, would always raise my BP into some uncomfortable spikes (dextro more so than the others), but the small doses of dextro have kept my BP pretty much at baseline.

I haven't gone back to try the other stims at such low doses, so I don't know how I'd react.

But I've been recently learning that smaller doses of most of my supplements and meds are usually better.
what do you usually take on a day?

Paw

Lately I've been taking 2.5 mg in the morning, and then another 2.5 around noon. But even this amount can leave me pretty queasy, so I've been trying to skip doses whenever possible. I get the worst results when I get into too much of a routine with stims.

loki

Lately I've been taking 2.5 mg in the morning, and then another 2.5 around noon. But even this amount can leave me pretty queasy, so I've been trying to skip doses whenever possible. I get the worst results when I get into too much of a routine with stims.
do you sweat??

loki

it is true that the immune system gets really aggressive if one takes stimulants over a prolonged length of time. I just ask myself what the biochemical reactions are? is the microglia involved here and attacks the nerve system more heavily?

loki

i too discovered tea as being quite gentle to my immunity but i do not trust independent, cheap tea leafs. i trust intransparent ultracapitalistic pharma giants !!! :oops::eggonface:

loki

Historically I don't sweat -- which has fueled chronic burning sensations. But duloxetine helps with that.

Stimulants clearly lead to regression: more burning, less sweating. But in low doses it's been fairly manageable.
hmm that's interesting. it's been 3 weeks since i started ritalin and now i experience a burning pain in my left arm muscle. without any activity.
could that be fibromyalgia or an increased autoimmunity by the ritalin?

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources