Beta glucans and the immune system

Not dead yet!

Now that I have some more energy, I'm thinking of baking bread. But of course without gluten or as low gluten as I can. I am also sensitive to many gums, including xhanthan, so there's no help there. I try to stick to cooking activities that require constant tending because it "pulls me along in its wake." It helps me try to stay awake during the day and be properly tired out (but not too tired) at night.

I am still trying to pin down exactly whether barley flour just has cross reactions, or if it contains bonafide glutenin/gliadin. I suspect it is a cross reaction only, because what I'm reading is it contains "hordein" but what that is and why it would make GF people suffer is not clear anywhere. So it's still on my "perhaps usable" list, especially since I react to wheat, but it is not as destructive as it would be for a Celiac patient. I visited my family recently and they were ordering unbleached flour from Canada to bake their bread. I don't think I was reacting to it, but it's hard to tell when I'm traveling. Anyway it reminded me of how bread should taste and since I only eat tiny amounts of anything starchy, it's important that that amount should be high quality and safe.

OK so that was the background.

I discovered that barley flour has something called beta-glucans and when I looked it up, I found that it's sometimes used for CFS to help the immune system work better:

https://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supp...ientid=1041&activeingredientname=beta-glucans

I figure if WebMD has something about it, it must be mainstream. But I hadn't heard of it. Has anyone tried this supplement? Does it help you?

I don't know if I'll decide to use barley flour or not, but the supplement might be worth a try. It doesn't seem expensive. In case you're interested in where I got the idea: https://www.omicsonline.org/open-ac...butes-of-leavened-bread-2157-7110-1000611.php This resource is wheat-focused, but I found it helpful if you like to bake bread: https://www.nyx.net/~dgreenw/whatistheproteinorglutenco.html It explains thing like what the various dough conditioners do (ie. Vitamin C).

Edie

Now that I have some more energy, I'm thinking of baking bread. But of course without gluten or as low gluten as I can. I am also sensitive to many gums, including xhanthan, so there's no help there. I try to stick to cooking activities that require constant tending because it "pulls me along in its wake." It helps me try to stay awake during the day and be properly tired out (but not too tired) at night.

I am still trying to pin down exactly whether barley flour just has cross reactions, or if it contains bonafide glutenin/gliadin. I suspect it is a cross reaction only, because what I'm reading is it contains "hordein" but what that is and why it would make GF people suffer is not clear anywhere. So it's still on my "perhaps usable" list, especially since I react to wheat, but it is not as destructive as it would be for a Celiac patient. I visited my family recently and they were ordering unbleached flour from Canada to bake their bread. I don't think I was reacting to it, but it's hard to tell when I'm traveling. Anyway it reminded me of how bread should taste and since I only eat tiny amounts of anything starchy, it's important that that amount should be high quality and safe.

OK so that was the background.

I discovered that barley flour has something called beta-glucans and when I looked it up, I found that it's sometimes used for CFS to help the immune system work better:

https://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supp...ientid=1041&activeingredientname=beta-glucans

I figure if WebMD has something about it, it must be mainstream. But I hadn't heard of it. Has anyone tried this supplement? Does it help you?

I don't know if I'll decide to use barley flour or not, but the supplement might be worth a try. It doesn't seem expensive. In case you're interested in where I got the idea: https://www.omicsonline.org/open-ac...butes-of-leavened-bread-2157-7110-1000611.php This resource is wheat-focused, but I found it helpful if you like to bake bread: https://www.nyx.net/~dgreenw/whatistheproteinorglutenco.html It explains thing like what the various dough conditioners do (ie. Vitamin C).
I had been taking 100mgs a day of beta glucan for a long period of time as an immune stimulant, until I got 2 bad flus 2 Winters in a row. I then tried 250mgs a day and then went up to the pharmaceutical grade of 250mgs 2xday. Then I got great results. The lumpy sore throat I had for over 20 years cleared up and the large marble size lymph nodes under my chin shrank to a more normal size. Also, whenever I had slightly elevated stress, I invariably developed cold sores. Since taking the larger dose of Beta Glucans, I've only had one cold sore incidence and that happened after an especially bad health stress event. I use the Jarrow brand from www.totaldiscountvitamins.com and it costs me about $23. a month. I have not noticed any negative side effects using the higher dose.

Not dead yet!

I had been taking 100mgs a day of beta glucan for a long period of time as an immune stimulant, until I got 2 bad flus 2 Winters in a row. I then tried 250mgs a day and then went up to the pharmaceutical grade of 250mgs 2xday. Then I got great results. The lumpy sore throat I had for over 20 years cleared up and the large marble size lymph nodes under my chin shrank to a more normal size. Also, whenever I had slightly elevated stress, I invariably developed cold sores. Since taking the larger dose of Beta Glucans, I've only had one cold sore incidence and that happened after an especially bad health stress event. I use the Jarrow brand from www.totaldiscountvitamins.com and it costs me about $23. a month. I have not noticed any negative side effects using the higher dose.

Heh :) I have this theory that all supplements are at 1/2 the effective dose.

Reactions: Dom

Dom

Old thread this but I've been taking beta glucans for about 90 days now. I had complications after my second covid jab. Essentially symptoms got worse and have sort of not completely got better over the course of 2 months since I had my jab. No idea what's going on.

Prior to my second jab taking reishi and beta glucans at 980mg and 1400mg (beta glucans) per day in 3 equal doses many of my persistent ME symptoms disappeared within about 3 to 4 weeks. Almost all those symptoms have gone.

My ME sore throat is gone, I no longer get ulcers in my mouth (I've had one outbreak in 4 months which lasted 5 days. I used to get an outbreak every 2 to 3 weeks which usually lasted 12 days), the stiffness and inflammation in my neck is gone, I can look directly up now without terrible dizziness, my cranial cervical junction was very swollen and inflamed as we're my occipital lymph nodes (these symptoms have completely vanished). Ice also noticed that my energy levels do get a boost directly proportional to my beta glucan intake. I've been testing various doses for over 85 days and only when I increase the beta glucans to a high dose do I feel this way.

I should point out that most of the 85 days I've been tired and low in energy (actually quite different to the symptoms of ME) but this was directly proportional to the amount of glucans I was taking. More meant a higher immune response I think which made me clumsy and incredibly tired.

Dizziness and fatigue are the two primary symptoms that I've alwyss had which won't budge. Fatigue is considerably better but it's still not great. They took me from 60% function on hummingbird to 70%. I was at 80% for 3 weeks before my second covid jab took me back to 60% then back to 70 and that's kind of where I've stayed

I also take a few other things. As I'm on the Joshua Leisk protocol. Had ME for 6 years diagnosed by two seperate doctors.

Get Our Free ME/CFS and FM Blog!

Forum Tips

Support Our Work

DO IT MONTHLY

HEALTH RISING IS NOT A 501 (c) 3 NON-PROFIT

Shopping on Amazon.com For HR

Latest Resources